[OTTD] Dave's Screenshots - Old Screenshots Compilation

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Dave

[OTTD] Dave's Screenshots - Old Screenshots Compilation

Post by Dave »

*THIS THREAD IS NOW OUTDATED AND CONSIDERED CLOSED. FOR ALL FUTURE DW PROJECTS, PLEASE CHECK THE LATEST UPDATES ON THE SCREENSHOT BOARD*

Since I'm brilliant enough, I'm creating a completely separate thread from my TTDP screenshots thread because the difference in my playing style is quite stark, although most of you won't notice it.

OTTD build used
OTTD 1.0.0-RC3

GRFs *currently* used
Ameecher's New Depots
Ameecher's UKTS v0.4

Born_Acorn's Generic Buffer-Stops v0.1
Born_Acorn's UK Waypoints Set

Dave Worley's Rusty Sidings (oh wait.. that's me)

Michael Blunck's New Stations v0.42
Michael Blunck's New Ships

MPH's British Stations Set v0.04-prerelease
MPH's Alexandra Palace

PaulC's British Town Names Set v2.1

Pikka's UKRS v3.04
Pikka's UKRS Add-On v3.04
Pikka's Basic Industries v1.2
Pikka's UK Brick Chain v1.2
Pikka's HOVS UK Bus Set
Pikka's AV8 v1.10
Pikka's Suburban Renewal Set v0.1
Pikka's Viaduct
Pikka's Black Company Colour
(common theme here?)

Purno's New Fences

SAC's Stolen Trees

Industrial Station Renewal Set

Zephyris' eGRVTS

Naturally, my thanks are extended to all of the above for their brilliant graphical work, which make these screenshots possible.

Godspeed!
Last edited by Dave on 30 Dec 2011 00:05, edited 7 times in total.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Dave

Re: [OTTD] Dave Worley's Screenshots

Post by Dave »

1. Here we are then, overlooking the busy Wrexham Junction (not that you'd know it from this shot). This junction sees the divergence of the line to Wrexham FPP and Wrexham station, whilst the double track line singles here and heads to Wrexham A Power Station.

The single train from Wrexham goes to Ware, a very small town to the west, and makes a definite loss, but is forced by a local government law. This loss is made up by the heavy profits of the three other trains on the route, which run with livestock, grain and coal.

2. In a much busier shot, we see the area surrounding Ware North Junction to the west.

BH 0-6-0 No. 3835 idles in the Coal Yard awaiting a departure to Wrexham, whilst BH 0-6-0s Nos. 3836 'Farm Hand' and 3837 'Farm Stud' trade places at Ware Farm yard. We can see here Brierley Haulage's policy of small depots to service each locomotive, which is often considered wasteful. A proposal was put forward by a dissenting director to create one "super-depot" between Ware Farm and Ware North Junction to allow a more economical use of the company's assets.

We can also see the passenger branch to the sleepy bay village of Ware here. BH 0-6-0 tram engine No. 8210 is at the head of three small carriages allocated to the task.
Attachments
Brierley Haulage, 3rd Jan 1925#1.png
Brierley Haulage, 3rd Jan 1925#1.png (138.92 KiB) Viewed 19700 times
Brierley Haulage, 3rd Jan 1925#2.png
Brierley Haulage, 3rd Jan 1925#2.png (99.64 KiB) Viewed 19698 times

Flickr

jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Nice start Dave! Looking forward to how this pans out, though i think you need to keep an eye on those signals, not sure if they will work as they are.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Dave

Post by Dave »

jvassie wrote:Nice start Dave! Looking forward to how this pans out, though i think you need to keep an eye on those signals, not sure if they will work as they are.
Yeah Gavin's pointed out my shortcomings - as it stands I'm going with what's working, and these are at the minute. Of course if they need changing they will be.

Flickr

Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

Just to point out that don't place singals right at the exit of a junction. A little bit further like 3-5 tiles or so.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Draakon wrote:Just to point out that don't place singals right at the exit of a junction. A little bit further like 3-5 tiles or so.
I don't see where you think I have... The only place there are signals at the exit is where they're 2-way.

Flickr

Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

Dave Worley wrote:
Draakon wrote:Just to point out that don't place singals right at the exit of a junction. A little bit further like 3-5 tiles or so.
I don't see where you think I have... The only place there are signals at the exit is where they're 2-way.
Placing signals in front of the station is also bad. And you should remove the signal that is in the middle of that junction of Picture 1.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Draakon wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:
Placing signals in front of the station is also bad. And you should remove the signal that is in the middle of that junction of Picture 1.
Placing signals in front of stations is NOT bad, it does nothing at all to harm the junction. Placing a single-direction PBS signal, facing the platform works perfectly well.
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

jvassie wrote:Placing signals in front of stations is NOT bad, it does nothing at all to harm the junction. Placing a single-direction PBS signal, facing the platform works perfectly well.
It is. Because if you do place on front of a station, and all platforms are full, the train that wants to enter just goes to that is full thus blocking the whole station completely. And that has been said on YAPP thread as well.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Draakon wrote:
jvassie wrote:Placing signals in front of stations is NOT bad, it does nothing at all to harm the junction. Placing a single-direction PBS signal, facing the platform works perfectly well.
It is. Because if you do place on front of a station, and all platforms are full, the train that wants to enter just goes to that is full thus blocking the whole station completely. And that has been said on YAPP thread as well.
In Dave's current set up, yes but in the setup up James describes if you have a single PBS signal facing out of the station then it is not BAD. It is more realistic for a start. Have you ever seen a station with no signals guarding the platforms? Sure, YAPP may work without signals at station entrances but if it works with them, then that's good too. Stop nit picking and appreciate good screenshots when you see them.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Dave Worley wrote:.....Aegir's Bare Tiles ......
Where can one obtain this .grf?
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Dave

Post by Dave »

Badger wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:.....Aegir's Bare Tiles ......
Where can one obtain this .grf?
I don't think it's available anymore, but if you contact me on MSN we can talk ;)

Flickr

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I scrapped bare tiles because it wasn't of any use after a few features came out a couple years back. Both CanSet stations and Michaels stations adds bare tracks without any platforms, Canstations does it with fences to boot, and buffers with fences that match up. As for completely empty grass tiles, irregular stations fixed that for us.

Feel free to do your dirty back-alley distributions of the old .grf, like the dirty crack addict you are, Dave, but really, I don't know why that .grf is even being used any more, I dumped the thing and stopped work on it for a reason :).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aegir wrote:I scrapped bare tiles because it wasn't of any use after a few features came out a couple years back. Both CanSet stations and Michaels stations adds bare tracks without any platforms, Canstations does it with fences to boot, and buffers with fences that match up. As for completely empty grass tiles, irregular stations fixed that for us.

Feel free to do your dirty back-alley distributions of the old .grf, like the dirty crack addict you are, Dave, but really, I don't know why that .grf is even being used any more, I dumped the thing and stopped work on it for a reason :).
I hadn't thought of this, but it is a fair point.

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

Enough of the chatting, more screenshot action:

Brierley Road and Rail's early operations centred around the booming coal industry. In this shot, we see the yard of Barrhead B Power Station. There are two main reception sidings, but three other sidings exist, although see rare usage. Two BRR 0-6-0s (Nos. 7261 and 7262) haul 10 coal wagons each from Ellesmere and Rickmansworth coal mines and drop them here. A further coal mine to the south near Ipswich has recently contacted the board of Brierley RR to arrange some form of connection between the two.

Another short line exists far to the east with a connection from Dudley Coal Mine to Helston B Power Station. At Helston Coal Mine, there is uproar over the overlooking of the shaft for another further away, but it has been said by the BRR already that they will link Helston's Coal Mine and Power Station as soon as is financially possible.

In this second shot, we see Dudley Coal Yard, with BRR 0-6-0 7260 awaiting departure with a loaded train for Helston B.
Attachments
Brierley Road and Rail Ltd., 22nd Aug 1922.png (139.21 KiB) Viewed 19148 times
Brierley Road and Rail Ltd., 22nd Oct 1922.png (112.9 KiB) Viewed 19147 times

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm having this problem once again where I can't settle, so here's an even newer game (under the same company name).

Shot #1: Brierley Road and Rail Ltd. quickly branched out from the humble beginnings of a coal branch from Brierley Hill Coal Mine to Peterborough B Power Station, and by 1926 had a total of six trains operating over coal and passenger routes. To accomodate for the future, Mr. Worley, a powerful and influential man and CEO of Brierley RR, ordered the building of a big Train Depot just off the mainline between Peterborough and Brierley Hill. Here we see the yard, currently fairly empty, as BRR 4-4-0 No. 3401 City of Preston storms past with an express to Peterborough.

Shot #2: Despite the company being named after the local Brierley Hill, Mr. Worley announced his intentions at Peterborough with a large station. To the west is the large sidings complex to welcome trains for Peterborough B Power Station. In this busy shot, we see City of Preston leave Peterborough for the depot, whilst sister BRR 4-4-0 No. 3402 City of Peterborough awaits clearance for a platform. At the sidings, we see BRR 0-6-0 No. 7261 arrive with loaded coal wagons from Peterborough Coal Mine. An interesting part of this shot is the tunnel under the sidings, which links the line to Peterborough and Stockton Coal Mines to Peterborough Station; this was created in a recent development to link the town of Stockton to Peterborough. Trains leave Peterborough, venture through the tunnel and up onto the Stockton-Peterborough Line at Sidehouse Junction.

Shot #3: This train can be seen in this shot of the complicated depot setup at Peterborough Coal Mine. With two coal mines in the close vicinity, BRR decided a joint depot would be appropriate, but with trackwork for the passenger route becoming more complicated, this very interesting setup was decided upon. The train for Stockton Coal Mine, when requiring a visit to the depot, sweeps under the main line in a curve, and back up onto the depot sidings. On departure, it rejoins the mainline beyond the bridge over this curve. In this shot we see BRR 0-6-0 No. 7263 Stockton Flyer pass the complex.

More to come from this one. Peterborough is quickly becoming like Manchester, a busy terminii with the opportunity to extend past it for stations to the east. I'll keep you posted :D
Attachments
Shot #1
Shot #1
Brierley Road and Rail Ltd., 22nd Oct 1926.png (60.76 KiB) Viewed 18948 times
Shot #2
Shot #2
Brierley Road and Rail Ltd., 4th Nov 1926.png (94.25 KiB) Viewed 18944 times
Shot #3
Shot #3
Brierley Road and Rail Ltd., 9th Nov 1926.png (63.61 KiB) Viewed 18948 times

Flickr

beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

Dave Worley wrote:BRR 4-4-0 No. 3401 City of Preston storms past with an express to Peterborough...
I'll accept Preston as a city just as soon as the Vatican accepts you as the Pope.

Other than that, not too shabby, although that last depot with the bridge and loops and shiz is a bit WTF, I'd tone it down a bit, but that's simply subjective innit. Kudos.

EDIT: I've just realised why it all looks a bit odd - there's no trees...
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

beeb375 wrote:EDIT: I've just realised why it all looks a bit odd - there's no trees...
Hahah, Dave you muppet, forgot something did we? :P
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I love those totally "useless" dead tracks you always have, it makes up for such a realistic view of your network :)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dave

Post by Dave »

jvassie wrote:
beeb375 wrote:EDIT: I've just realised why it all looks a bit odd - there's no trees...
Hahah, Dave you muppet, forgot something did we? :P
Turned em orf! Only made them invisible though, they're still there, just forgot to put em back on!

That track you see there with the "sweeping under the mainline" is not that uncommon really, there's an instance of it at Chillington Wharf (Wolverhampton area) where the mainline is too high above the wharf to get down straight, so sweeps right, comes back left, and under the mainline.

Flickr

Return to “Screenshots”