OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0.6

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tkz
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1

Post by tkz »

Got an error this morning with the updater (image attached)

No idea what's causing this as my knowledge is non existent :tongue:

:]
Attachments
Auto Update Error.
Auto Update Error.
autoupdateerror.png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Not an error...
Reality.
There were no nightlies compiled for win32 (and others).
A bug has been commited, therefor compile farm bark enough to stop.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Sarvesh50
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarvesh50 »

an auto update sounds awesome really :D
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Sarvesh50 wrote:an auto update sounds awesome really :D
Thanks. I hope you enjoy it.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Hm...
What gives? The path is specified correctly.
Attachments
Bez názvu.PNG
Bez názvu.PNG (12.51 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

The reason you get this message is that OpenTTD Auto Update 1.1 finds the openttd.exe file but it can not get the version number from it. Or rather it is highly likely that what you have installed is not a nightly build.

I would be happy if you could right-click on your openttd.exe and select properties in the menu (bottom alternative) and then get the file version string as demonstrated in the image below:
properties.png
properties.png (34.02 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
So to solve your situation press ignore on the dialog you have and Auto Update will report that you have version r-1 installed and happily upgrade that to latest nightly or #openttdcoop if that is what you prefer.

And for reference if Auto Update will not find any openttd.exe at all in the selected directory/path it will display this dialog: (which was introduced because I got comments from users that though that the dialog you got was to confusing)
no_exe_warning.png
no_exe_warning.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
The ending slash should really be a backslash but that is only a error in the dialog output which I've not though was worth to fix.

-----
[EDIT]Now I recall that (from a program) getting the version string from the exe probably only work on NTFS and in your screenshot it is possible that you run Win9x that then would probably mean that version detection will fail. So could you please specify what OS you are running, and if it is XP/2000 what file system you have on your C: drive? Thank you

For 1.x it's not much effort for me to add the old read version from changes.log file as a fall back. But for 2.x that also supports stable, pre-stable and branches it's not as easy especially as branch-names are not in the changes.log file. Stable has changelog.txt with version number in it through.[/EDIT]
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Well, I don't run nightly build - I lived under the impression the updater can work with anything and the purpose is to get updated with nightlies?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Octopuss wrote:Well, I don't run nightly build - I lived under the impression the updater can work with anything and the purpose is to get updated with nightlies?
To obtain trust from users i designed the program to
* Not do anything without having asked (to some limitation of course)
* If something don't look okay better warn the user than hope that it's okay.
* If you don't want to be asked over and over again for things that happen at normal operation there should be a way to disable the question. - This include checking for updates of the program itself so if you think 1.1 is the best version ever you can keep use it as long as you like.

As for the use I would suggest that you keep a directory for your stable installation and have another directory for nightlies. If you have your original graphics + GRFs in My Documents\OpenTTD\data both installations will find them, and when you download NoAI-branch it will automatically find the data-files too.

The upcoming 2.0 release will have better support for detecting what type of release is installed. AutoUpdate 1.1 while it actually do detects stable releases internally the program is so much built around integer revision numbers that I did not think it was worth the effort to make it understand non-integer version numbers. Sure you are probably right it could at least report that a non-nightly is installed rather than unknown revision-number, but currently I focus all my efforts on 2.0.

Also the name might be misleading OpenTTD Updater would be better, but that is already taken and I decided to stick to Auto Update even if it might be a bit misleading.

[edit: added third point of key-design points]
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD Auto Update 2.0 Alpha 1

Post by Zuu »

(note to users who got here via the notification in 1.1: I plan to only run the notification for a short period of time so people who don't visit the forums can get a chance to find it. However as 1.1 don't support ignoring a specific announcement I will disable it again after some time so you can keep checking for self updates on for future releases.)

Let me after many hours of work announce OpenTTDAutoUpdate 2.0 alpha 1! As it says it is not the final 2.0, but the core features are there. So let me tell what's new in 2.0:

Key features of 2.0:
  • Support for a wider selection of targets including stable and the NoAI-branch. The targets are handled by a server so targets for more multiplayer servers, branches etc. can be added without client updates.
  • Support for GRF packs. Currently only #coop is added but other GRF packs could be added as the system is somewhat generic through some changes might be required in the client to handle packs with other structure than #openttdcoop grf pack.
  • One interface to manage all OpenTTD installations.
  • Self updates - automated installation of updates to the program itself.
And as asked for there will be proxy options for people with those needs. My favorite from 1.1, the change log window showing what have been changed since last update is of course also in 2.0.

2.0 is a mostly a rewrite from scratch through some parts are taken directly from 1.1. What makes 2.0 very different is that instead of that the program you download know where to get stuff from openttd.org, openttdcoop.org etc. all that is handled by a php/web-server. So without updating all users clients with 2.0 it will be possible to make changes to the available release targets.

So with that in mind I present you with a screenshot of the main-window that is centered around a list of OpenTTD installations. Through the buttons to the right of the list are way to many I think. Probably I will put most into menus and only have the most important actions available as buttons.
Main window
Main window
ver2_main.png (16.23 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
I'll also give you a screenshot of the edit dialog of a list entry (list entry = OpenTTD installation)
Edit window
Edit window
ver2_edit.png (16.28 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
Please follow the Installation instructions as 2.0 differ significantly from 1.1. It is still Unzip-and-run, but you should not place 2.0 in your OpenTTD directory. On the given link there are also some tips/instructions for how to get started with 2.0.
OpenTTDAutoUpdate2.0_alpha1.zip
(463.18 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
---
Extra Notes for alpha1:
  • You might wonder what Save/Load List under installations menu does. - They force save/load the list of installations that is an xml file called installations.xml next to your OpenTTDAutoUpdate2.exe. Loading is done automatically at startup and saving when the program exits. The reason they are there is if you remove all your entries you can load the list again from disk. I'm not sure weather I should keep the manual save/load as they are mainly for debugging purpose.
  • To get a list of command-line arguments start OpenTTDAutoUpdater2.exe with -h or --help.

Edit:
Known issues with 2.0 alpha 1
  • There is a typo in the edit dialog. It should say "my documents" and not "my documens".
  • It don't check if you add the same directory as an OpenTTD installation twice. But since there is no UpdateAll function it's not a major problem.
Last edited by Zuu on 08 Aug 2008 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I hope the stable will have the proxy support :)

TY
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

CommanderZ wrote:I hope the stable will have the proxy support :)

TY
Have you tried alpha 1? I have added proxy support in it. Through I wouldn't call it a core feature.

On the website (where the installation instructions are located) I write:
Website wrote:Features
  • Manage all OpenTTD installations via a single interface
  • Sync with: Last nightly, last stable, last stable (including pre-stable), last NoAI, #openttdcoop, dihedral auto nightly server
  • Updates #openttdcoop GRF pack (uses My documents by default)
  • Show changelog (only relevant changes) after upgrade between two nightlies or two branch nightlies of same branch
  • Command line switches so one can create shortcuts for specific OpenTTD installation
  • Proxy settings
  • Zip-file cache that stores zip-files for X days since last use and then removes them
  • Self-update that both informs users and after confirmation downloads and install the update
--------

Also I forgot to thank Ammler, dihedral, glx and TrueBrain (and Rubidium for helping TrueBrain ;) ) for their help and support. Without their input 2.0 would not be what it is today! Actually my plan when working on 1.0 was originally only to support nightlies but thanks to suggestions and help from mentioned people 2.0 offer so much more. Also thanks to all users who have given feedback and suggestions. Thank you all!
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 alpha 1

Post by CommanderZ »

Have you tried alpha 1? I have added proxy support in it. Through I wouldn't call it a core feature.

On the website (where the installation instructions are located) I write:
Oh, how can I enable it? the program immediately shuts down with an error "Could not connect to auto update server".
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Can you access http://users.tt-forums.net/ottdau/AUServer/ using a web-browser? That is what it tries to access but fails. If you can reach it via your web-browser you likely have a firewall that blocks the internet access for the program.

Or, now I realize, it could be your proxy that is blocking it. :)

I'll send you a .ini file so you can enable proxy before you reach the options dialog. Which would work if I hadn't forgot to implement saving/loading of the proxy settings. Apologize for that. Apparently I need to have some sleep so please be patient and I'll fix that as soon I can.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Awesome work! :) My favorite feature is being to target multiple installs, as I run the current stable and nightlies separately (and Tibb's patchpack, and a paxdest somewhere I think.) Now I can keep the nightlies straight. Thank you very much for your hard work.
Who is John Galt?
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

For some unknown reason, I can't download the nightlies. Getting "failed to download" message. The problem is not connection as it finds new updates. Weird.
It worked two days ago though.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

The server with the nightlies seems to be down.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Octopuss wrote:For some unknown reason, I can't download the nightlies. Getting "failed to download" message. The problem is not connection as it finds new updates. Weird.
It worked two days ago though.
If you select your nightly OpenTTD installation in the list and click on more information you will see that there is an update to "nightly" but no revision number.

The explanation of this is found on the server status page:
http://users.tt-forums.net/ottdau/Updat ... tatusPage/
(there is a link to it at the very top of the homepage)

Edit: And as it seam to be resolved by now, here is a screenshot of the status page when it showed failure:
server_status.png
server_status.png (21.17 KiB) Viewed 3334 times

But thank you for notifying me about the issue.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

ostlandr wrote:Awesome work! :) My favorite feature is being to target multiple installs, as I run the current stable and nightlies separately (and Tibb's patchpack, and a paxdest somewhere I think.) Now I can keep the nightlies straight. Thank you very much for your hard work.
Thank you for your kind feedback. I like that you elaborated what you liked most.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Alpha 2

Post by Zuu »

Hello, time for alpha 2.

To don confuse you with a lot of bla bla bla, I've decided to try to write short this time and quote existing material.

It has:
update notice wrote:* Double click on item -> Update && Play
* Fixes and better auto-path to edit installation window
* Offline mode, makes it possible to play and access options when internet is unaccessible
* Remove installation can now remove the installation directory for you if you wish

+ some minor fixes
Detailed information can be found in the attached update_readme.txt which is displayed to you when you use Self Update to automatically update from alpha 1 to alpha 2.

If you are new to OpenTTD Auto Update 2.0 you should follow the installation instructions on the website.

And users of OpenTTD Auto Update 2.0 alpha 1, just start the program and it should tell you that there is a new version available. Accept the update and you should have alpha 2 installed for you.
Attachments
update_readme.txt
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
OpenTTDAutoUpdate2_alpha2.zip
Note, Self Updates are not included in this statistics.
(470.8 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Here is the lovely Self Update dialog. The read more button takes you to this forum post. :)
Here is the lovely Self Update dialog. The read more button takes you to this forum post. :)
selfupdate.png (21.21 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 1.1 and 2.0 alpha 2

Post by ostlandr »

FYI the nightly server is currently down:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 97#p719797
Who is John Galt?

Return to “General OpenTTD”