Menu jumping (v1; r12805)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Menu jumping (v1; r12805)

Post by Roujin »

This patch allows you to make an intro game (opntitle.dat) which jumps to several preset locations with an adjustable delay (patch setting), to show off different areas of the game.

You can set the time inbetween each jump in game days. Setting it to 0 will disable jumping completely.

The game will check for signs in the intro game and (if the setting is not disabled) jump to one after another, alphabetically. So to use this, just make a nice savegame with some signs at the places you want to show, labelled '01' through 'xx', rename it to opntitle.dat and place it in the data folder. Then set the patch setting to an appropriate value and restart the game.

Two small changes I've made with this patch:
- signs are not shown anymore in the game menu, for not spoiling the pleasure with "1", "2", ... signs in the view.
- when moving the viewport a bit so that only a part would have to be redrawn, if we are in the game menu redraw the whole screen anyways, because the "OPEN TTD" letters would cause graphical glitches else.

I'm providing a little opntitle.dat I've made myself, however it's not that great. I hope to find someone who is willing to make a contest for a new title game, similar to the contest littlemikey held some time ago - only this time with this new feature.
I also hope to get some feedback from devs - are there any issues with this patch? What do you think of a new intro game using this feature? Any chance for trunk now that 0.6.0 is out? (feature lock bye bye ;))

So, enough talk, see for yourself :P

edit: something i forgot to add (sorry wolf01)
this patch is based on wolf01's patch. I added the functionality with the signs and managed to fix the problem with the OPENTTD letters, but initial coding and idea is from him. ;)
edit: rediff for r12628
edit: rediff for r12733
edit: rediff for r12805
menu_jumping_v1_r12628.diff
menu jumping v1 for r12628
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Attachments
menu_jumping_v1_r12536.diff
menu jumping v1 for r12536
(7.84 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
opntitle.dat
title game made by myself for demonstration
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Last edited by Roujin on 21 Apr 2008 10:42, edited 6 times in total.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Menu jumping (v1; r12536)

Post by Trond »

Sure sounds like a nifty feature! I'll try this once someone updates the daylenght patch, cba to make myself a new build without that one now :P
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Another small and useful ( at least interesting ) patch by Roujin. Sounds interesting ( well it isn't like it was before: always same screen ).
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I like this idea! Sounds good...
Buhmann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Buhmann »

Awesome idea!
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Soeb wrote:Another small and useful ( at least interesting ) patch by Roujin. Sounds interesting ( well it isn't like it was before: always same screen ).
So is only necessary to find another person to publish my patches to make people to like them :twisted:
Great work with the fixes and improvements, Roujin ;)
zypa
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zypa »

I love the idea!
I always wondered why there is a static screen. Every time the same screen... kinda boring.

Should the opentitle.dat contain any grfs?
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Wolf01 wrote:
Soeb wrote:Another small and useful ( at least interesting ) patch by Roujin. Sounds interesting ( well it isn't like it was before: always same screen ).
So is only necessary to find another person to publish my patches to make people to like them :twisted:
s*** :shock: i swear, i first wanted to give credit to you, but then I had to reboot and write the post from the beginning, and forgot to credit you this time! :oops:
So, here I go: this patch is based on wolf01's patch. I added the functionality with the signs and managed to fix the problem with the OPENTTD letters, but initial coding and idea is from him. ;)

ImageImage
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

zypa wrote:Should the opentitle.dat contain any grfs?
Not recommended.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Roujin wrote:
Wolf01 wrote:
s*** :shock: i swear, i first wanted to give credit to you, but then I had to reboot and write the post from the beginning, and forgot to credit you this time! :oops:
So, here I go: this patch is based on wolf01's patch. I added the functionality with the signs and managed to fix the problem with the OPENTTD letters, but initial coding and idea is from him. ;)
Don't worry, you already credited me in the poll topic, my post was directed to who think my patches are crappy only because there's my name... and my name is behind some of the most used patches... :P
zypa
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zypa »

glx wrote:
Not recommended.
What about generic trams v0.4
It comes with openttd 0.6, but it is not preloaded.
sickie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sickie »

Wolf01 wrote: Don't worry, you already credited me in the poll topic, my post was directed to who think my patches are crappy only because there's my name... and my name is behind some of the most used patches... :P
Maybe it would be better if roujin wouldn't credit you, as his patch won't than get included in trunk :) Oh, and I am only joking about that. :P
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

zypa wrote:
glx wrote:
Not recommended.
What about generic trams v0.4
It comes with openttd 0.6, but it is not preloaded.
wha..? are you sure about that? oO I thought the devs decided to not include generic trams in the official version :?

ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Generic trams is definitely included, can we use that in the title screen then?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Generic trams will only be in full releases; not in nightlies, betas or release candidates. So adding it to the default title screen is not an option.

The default title screen is furthermore a great tool to check whether old savegames still load in OpenTTD, just because it currently is a very old savegame.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Rubidium wrote:The default title screen is furthermore a great tool to check whether old savegames still load in OpenTTD, just because it currently is a very old savegame.
I understand your point. Maybe that could be adressed by adding a boolean patch option (yes i know, you're probably not too fond of that). Something like "Enable New Intro". Then have both files, opntitle.dat and, say, newtitle.dat and load one of them according to the patch setting.
The setting could even be disabled by default...
Would that be better?

But actually, having a new opntitle.dat is not what I wanted to discuss in this thread... actually I made a thread in the suggestions forum (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=36923 ), to keep those two topics apart.
After all, this patch could also be included without changing the opntitle.dat at all. It shouldn't change any behavior if using the current opntitle.dat.

So in this thread I'd rather like to discuss if the patch by itself is fine.

ImageImage
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Wolf01 wrote:So is only necessary to find another person to publish my patches to make people to like them :twisted:
I haven't seen your before. How could I know it was based on you patch?
Probably it can be like that... :lol:
And your patches aren't crappy.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Soeb wrote:
Wolf01 wrote:So is only necessary to find another person to publish my patches to make people to like them :twisted:
I haven't seen your before. How could I know it was based on you patch?
Probably it can be like that... :lol:
And your patches aren't crappy.
Definitely they aren't, you all use transparency options, drag&drop remove stations, adjacent stations (who knows how to trigger it :P)
I'm also the guy who coded daylength (before chrissicom's rewrite) and collaborated with Frostregen on the eyecandy patch
Give a look to my thread in the suggestions forum, I really need constant feedback else I lose interest on mantain and develop patches ;)

About the opentitle savegame, take TTDPatch without any feature, make a good looking game and then add some signs, so it really should be fully backward compatible :D
Ammler
President
President

Re: Menu jumping (v1; r12628)

Post by Ammler »

just tested that patch and it works nice with #coop games. Now, I am wondering if it would be possible to make something like that also ingame, just if I join a #coop and let it run some time. (just watching) --> Something like a automatic spectacte mode.

the 2. thing: Is it possible to move the Menu out from the middle somewhere in a edge? (top-left i.e.)

Greets
Ammler

Btw. I had problems with compiling, needed to add {} to the switch statement in signs_gui.cpp around row 258 etc...
Attachments
menu_jumping_v1_r12628_Brackets.diff
Working patch for gcc...
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Menu jumping (v1; r12733)

Post by Roujin »

rediff for r12733.
Attachments
menu_jumping_v1_r12733.diff
menu jumping for r12733
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

ImageImage

Return to “OpenTTD Development”