Dutch Trainset v2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Which DMU do you find better looking

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2013 11:59

DE-III (plan U): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_U
38%
DE-IV (Ram): http://www.stichtingtee.nl/nl/trein/geschiedenis
63%

Total votes: 24

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset Development Thread / Alpha release pending

Post by Purno »

@alligning: Perhaps it might be easier to edit the sprites big boxes, make them as small as possible, and then re-add the sprites. Allignment is messed up because of Snail using too big blue boxes for his sprites.

@website: I slightly updated the vehicle list pages. I think I'll upgrade the site a bit more later on. At least those HTML files are easier to edit than the PHP files Hyronymus used with stylesheet and whatever kinda stuff.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Purno wrote:@alligning: Perhaps it might be easier to edit the sprites big boxes, make them as small as possible, and then re-add the sprites. Allignment is messed up because of Snail using too big blue boxes for his sprites.
Maybe I could help you with that... how would you like the boxes to be drawn? Where are the excess blue pixels exactly in the sprite?
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, IMO, it's common to make the blue boxes as small as possible. (They'll still be box-shaped though). Take a look at my sprites.

Anyways, Snail, is it correct we still can expect a sprite update of your Dutch steamers? Or did I miss we already got that update?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Well, I did update them a couple of months ago, and I sent them to you: the boxes were smaller already, I remember we talked about some pixels sticking out of the blue boxes.
The only sprites surrounded by "large" boxes were the diagonal views of the tenders, and that was just in the height (the boxes were "taller" than the tenders themselves). I can cut the few extra blue pixels above the / \ tender views if you like. But as for the rest, all the boxes are no wider than the sprites.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I don't really see why too big sprites should cause an alignment problem, you can cut it off by hand (as Snail suggested) or change the size of the sprite in the code itself so you cut it off when compiling your grf. But I don't really see why it is necessarry (sp?) as you can just play around with the alignment a bit and then it should also fit properly into its bounding box.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

GRFMaker calculated default values for xrel / yrel (alligment) based upon sprite size. When the boxes are as small as possible, you usually only need to tweak them a bit, in sense of 2 or 3 pixels. Snails sprites needed a tweak of up to 10 pixels. Since all allignment tweaking needs to be done by starting up TTD, looking (with your plain eye) how many pixels its off, adjusting the value, starting up TTD again to look if it's right, etc etc, an allignment which is off for 10 pixels is quite a lot of work. Also concerning steamers and their tender, it's complicated to find out wether you need to allign the steamer to the tender, or the tender to the steamer, or the tender to the coach, or the steamer to the coach, etc etc.

With your plain eye it's easier to tell the difference between a 2pix gap and a 3px gap, than a 10pix gap and an 11 pix gap.
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

That is why TTDPatch has a feature which allows you to move the sprites around ingame so you know exactly by how much you have to move a sprite, and otherwise you can always make a screenshot and count out the pixels in a proper image editing program which allows you to zoom in.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:That is why TTDPatch has a feature which allows you to move the sprites around ingame so you know exactly by how much you have to move a sprite,
Link to documentation please?
Image Image
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Purno wrote:Snails sprites needed a tweak of up to 10 pixels.
Not the latest version I sent you a couple of months ago. Methinks you're speaking about the earlier version of my Dutch steamers.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, it's hard to keep overview about a project as big as this one. Your new sprites should already be in the code then.
Image Image
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Purno wrote:Link to documentation please?
In TTD, open up the "New graphics status" window. Click on the grf you want to adjust. CTRL-Click in the text area at the bottom. The adjustment dialog (Thanks eis_os!!) shows up. You'll have to reference the sprites by number, so some searching may be necessary.

Note: The adjustments are not saved, only shown. My preferred method with GRFMaker and this tool is:

- open your project in GRFMaker
- start TTDP
- set up four/eight copies of the train you want to adjust on a 'circular' track, so all sprites are shown
- open the adjustment dialog as mentioned above
- locate the sprite you want to adjust in the TTD tool
- click on the arrows until looking ok, note the final xrel/yrel
- switch to GRFMaker and open the same sprite in the adjustment window
- enter the numbers
- done

Another note: If you save the xrel/yrel in the pcx file with GRFMaker, it is easy to copy/paste the same xrel/yrel in the picture to a lot of similar sprites, you don't have to go through the full adjustment process for each one of them. GRFMaker can also save/recall xrel/yrel values saved to a text file, also a quick way to set many sprites quicker.

'Adjusting' in this way works best on identical sprites where just the livery is different - then you can be sure they should have the same alignment.
Nimugp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nimugp »

This set looks great, can't wait till it's available. It will probably work great in reducing my fustration about delayed train in rl :P Sounds like a nice challenge, trying to get all the train's to run on schedule :mrgreen:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

A few screenshots from my current NS set game.
Attachments
NSset, 1st Apr 1935.png
NSset, 1st Apr 1935.png (37.41 KiB) Viewed 28235 times
NSset, 9th Mar 1972.png
NSset, 9th Mar 1972.png (37.03 KiB) Viewed 28236 times
NSset, 13th Oct 1971.png
NSset, 13th Oct 1971.png (33.8 KiB) Viewed 28238 times
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Nice. I can't wait (I've been in that state for years now, but somehow I still manage :wink: ).
Deblaauwn
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Deblaauwn »

Is that a realistic Dutch TTD map, or is it openTTD, or just a random map in which you changed city names yourself?
Traffic Manager, how about that!

My rather old Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Deblaauwn wrote:Is that a realistic Dutch TTD map, or is it openTTD, or just a random map in which you changed city names yourself?
It's a 2048*2048 OpenTTD scenario of the Netherlands, made by myself. Why?
Image Image
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

..'cause he needs the link?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

This should be the last version (it should be 0.6.0 compatible)
Attachments
the_netherlands_by_purno2_and_mrx1.scn
(697.69 KiB) Downloaded 2984 times
Image Image
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

@Last posted screenie: running Benelux coaches with a NS 'Beel'? That's an interesting combination... :shock:

Looks really good! I can't express myself enough how exited I am!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Any engine can pull those coaches, since we weren't able to find info about what engine pulled which coaches, we'd left out livery overrides for coaches, except the NMBS 11.8 which pulls the yellow/red ICR coaches.
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”