Nintendo DS port (Alpha 6)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

WDSnav
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Nintendo DS port

Post by WDSnav »

AntBUK wrote:
WandL wrote:What does "tick out" mean??? I havent had any problems playing GBA games on my Lite, I think they are loads better than the DS Phat, I remember playing my gf's and my hand used to ache after holding it for ages!
My bad, was a typo. I will correct it after posting this. It was meant to be "stick out"
WDSnav wrote:Ok I just got my R4DS and copied the neccessary R4DS files to it from r4ds.com but my DS is not even detecting the R4DS what do I do?
Try reinserting the card into your DS, if that doesn't work try a game which you know works. If that works it could just be that the contacts inside the DS are dirty, just insert and remove a game a few times to clean them (It's Nintendo's advice before you start moaning about wearing the spring out)

If you get "Couldn't find the SD/TF card", try reinserting it and that should solve it.

If you get "Couldn't find _DS_MENU.DAT" make sure its in the root folder of your SD card (in my case it would be F:\_DS_MENU.DAT)

Which reminds me, my firmware needs updating to 1.16...
I got nothing, my DS says that nothing is inserted, other games work fine.
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

WDSnav wrote:I got nothing, my DS says that nothing is inserted, other games work fine.
Same thing happened to my CycloDS. I tried it in a different DS, and it worked. So I started experimenting, and figured out that if I pushed the cart on the side while it's inserted in my DS, it would boot up. So now I've just stuck a piece of folded paper in together with the cart to put pressure on it, and it works fine. Maybe it'll work for you too?
Creator of the longest Locomotion station ever.
Sh*t does NOT just happen, sh*t takes time and effort.
Yay, that's me in my avatar! I win!
Keep violence virtual!
WDSnav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WDSnav »

Stylpe wrote:
WDSnav wrote:I got nothing, my DS says that nothing is inserted, other games work fine.
Same thing happened to my CycloDS. I tried it in a different DS, and it worked. So I started experimenting, and figured out that if I pushed the cart on the side while it's inserted in my DS, it would boot up. So now I've just stuck a piece of folded paper in together with the cart to put pressure on it, and it works fine. Maybe it'll work for you too?
huh?What side?
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

The side with the sticker
Creator of the longest Locomotion station ever.
Sh*t does NOT just happen, sh*t takes time and effort.
Yay, that's me in my avatar! I win!
Keep violence virtual!
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

I got my R4 (lol it's too late here, said DS at first -.-) in the mail yesterday, only looked at the menus thus far, they do need serious improvement though.. Impossible to reach some locations, etc... Perhaps make the font smaller, for this resolution, the current font is HUGE.
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

jaybud4 wrote:I got my R4 (lol it's too late here, said DS at first -.-) in the mail yesterday, only looked at the menus thus far, they do need serious improvement though.. Impossible to reach some locations, etc... Perhaps make the font smaller, for this resolution, the current font is HUGE.
It's just that kind of improvments we will see in the next alpha release, the GUI release.

Hope the work goes well for you Dominik :)

Have a nice day everybody!!!
One of my biggest handheld dreams, is a port of LaserTank to the Nintendo DS, since it is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time!!!
Over 16000 levels to solve!!!!!
WDSnav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WDSnav »

I finally got my R4DS to work! :) Any estimate of when a better gui version is comming?
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

As usual: "When it's done!" ;)
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

Maybe it would be cool to make a Wii version as well :p
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

elf_sander wrote:Maybe it would be cool to make a Wii version as well :p
A) I don't see the Wii Remote being too handy, what with it being so... inaccurate.
B) It would have to be done in Flash and on a web page unless you have a modded Wii. I can't see it working in Flash, so...
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

You haven't heard of the Twilight Princess hack, have you?
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

The chances and logistics of a Wii version are the same as a Atari 2600 version ;) Or one that plays on a cd player lol
Hmm, what should I put here...
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

I might even put on my Dev-shoes, and try it as soon as I have a Wii (which I don't have yet) and LoZ TP. ;) And if you think I can't pull it off, I'd suggest you look at my site.
Ploes
President
President

Post by Ploes »

elf_sander wrote:And if you think I can't pull it off, I'd suggest you look at my site.
A link might help, since I want to see your site now :D
WDSnav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WDSnav »

Ploes wrote:
elf_sander wrote:And if you think I can't pull it off, I'd suggest you look at my site.
A link might help, since I want to see your site now :D
His site is http://www.MicroSE.nl the link is in his profile.
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

I didn't want to advertise it. ;)
bobulator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bobulator »

I've got an R4DS now, and I have started up openTTD (after puttign the grfs in) and it comes up with this error

Code: Select all

nds>random seed:322200113
misc>free 1892K largest 1912K

[Error:] Couldn't open config file. Please copy openttd.cfg to the root directory
What should I do?
Erm...
Thats It.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

bobulator wrote:I've got an R4DS now, and I have started up openTTD (after puttign the grfs in) and it comes up with this error

Code: Select all

nds>random seed:322200113
misc>free 1892K largest 1912K

[Error:] Couldn't open config file. Please copy openttd.cfg to the root directory
What should I do?
Maybe this is too obvious, but... Do you have that file (openttd.cfg) on your MicroSD card? And it is in the root directory, right?
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
bobulator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bobulator »

Yes, the openttd.cfg file is on my card.

In root directory do you mean the top directory of the card or the same directory the openttd.nds file is in?

I'll try both

[Edit post; Solved that problem! Now openttd is saying my .grf files are corrupt!]
Erm...
Thats It.
theli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by theli »

dominik81 , i've modified a little your playmidi test
http://theli.ho.com.ua/temp/playmidi_poprock.nds
also tried it with some other tunes ...
i'm thinking of writing arm7 psg midi player(i like this idea more than softsynth using soundfont) but have some questions:
do you think it is really worth it? i mean - quality will remain close to this though i'm going to work on tuning parameters for different instruments and using noise channels for percussion ....
do you think you can sacrifice sound channels 8..15 to midi?
i think scummvmds uses adlib emulation and midi emulation through adlib you can also try this approach.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”