OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Connum »

And here it comes, my first result...
I hope it is of any use...
Attachments
office-or-shop.png
office-or-shop.png (814 Bytes) Viewed 6132 times
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

A preview of the office/large shop buildings I am making, inspired by the North American City Set. These will be textured properly with the other designs, this is just a WIP to give an impression of what they will be like...

The design is completely modular, I have separate images for individual storeys and the roof, then just combine them to produce building variants.

*edit* and added a selection of buildings for a sense of scale, from houses to decent sized office blocks...
Attachments
Offices demo.png
Offices demo.png (102.12 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
scale comparison.png
scale comparison.png (35.84 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Too many buildings... too damn good -drools onto lap- awesome :D
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

very very nice! :-)
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Zephyris wrote:*edit* and added a selection of buildings for a sense of scale, from houses to decent sized office blocks...
The larger scale looks better
Image Image Image Image
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Zephyris wrote:Re: Darkmast49
So something like this..?
Yup, something exactly like that! :D
Good :) I'll try to come up with another shape :P
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Connum
Sorry, missed your post! That is almost perfect, two things:
It looks a bit thin, maybe a bit chunkier?
The windows need some more depth, look at the detail of the windows of one of my houses.
Attachments
Window demo.png
Window demo.png (459 Bytes) Viewed 5749 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Well... I had to give it a go... I have hopes it looks nice when textured... My own house is 3 floors, so would be nice to get it in ;) A yellowish color would be nice I guess, our house is from 1950's and made of planks :P Information overdose? :lol:
Attachments
3 floors.png
3 floors.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

Oh, of course I'll add that!
Do you mean that the whole building is too thin, or only the wall with the windows?
I oriented myself on you buildings, as I didn't know how you scaled your drawings... they are one square in length, but only a half square in width, aren't they?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

My shops are designed to look like the typical UK house to shop conversions of old terraces, more modern ones (like yours) should probably extend further back... Try it and see!
*edit* ahhh, I get what you mean! Width is good, either for shops or standalone flats/offices. The building should probably be deeper.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

As promised, I've had a quick 10min play about with some windows. They look ok for now. I'll have a better go later (As I have to go to a meeting now). Let me know what you think. If you;re happy, I'll sort out all your window needs :)
ZephyrisNewWindows.png
ZephyrisNewWindows.png (17.79 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
I've just done glass doors for now as I didnt have my palette handy but I can do coloured/wooden doors if required.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Very nice windows! It would be ideal if you could make a window texture which I could blindly apply across a whole set of building's windows. Do you understand what I mean? This way it would minimise the pixel pushing work required (do you really want to draw windows by hand for 20 5 storey office blocks!? :D ). As for doors a selection of brown and coloured ones would also be really useful!
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Cheers, I'm glad you are happy with them,
Zephyris wrote:It would be ideal if you could make a window texture which I could blindly apply across a whole set of building's windows. ...This way it would minimise the pixel pushing work required (do you really want to draw windows by hand for 20 5 storey office blocks!?)...
I know exactly what you mean, however, to get them looking good, they all need to be tweaked individually to provide the shadow/reflection in the right places. I guess that's the difference in individually drawn sprites and generic ones. As much of a ball-ache as it may seem, I am happy to draw the windows on all your buildings. I think they are good and they need the right edge to them. Once I get started, I'm pretty quick. Do you have a definitive list that you can send me so that I don't miss any out?
Zephyris wrote:As for doors a selection of brown and coloured ones would also be really useful!
I will see what I can do. Would you like the doors separate to each building then? I guess that would be a pain. If you have any preference for any buildings, let me know, otherwise I'll use ...ahem... 'artistic judgement' ;)

Edit:
I have the sheet of Temperate houses, the sheet of blocks of flats, and the sheet with the shops/houses as above. I will start on these and wait until advise me of what else needs doing. You mentioned the offices/large blocks are a preview, hence I won't include those yet.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Here is an "official" sprite sheet so far...

*edit* minor update to the image
Attachments
Buildings Sprite Sheet.png
(192.32 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Ok, so these are the only buildings you use? I can do a template for each one of those. One thing I have had to do though, is move the windows from the edges of the buildings in the sprites I've done so far (The windows touched the lefthand edge).
Progress:
ZephyrisHouses.png
ZephyrisHouses.png (33.69 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
Happy with that look?
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

All these look great. I have a strange feeling about building stages of some buildings though. Some of them look like empty brick 'cages' with no floors inside...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Its because they are cages! Tbh I'm not too worried about it, the construction stages aren't visible for too long.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

True... ;)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Ben_K is currently working on the windows, so here is a preview of one of the brick/tile combos of all the buildings. Hopefully there will be another batch of buildings soon! :D
Attachments
Buildings.png
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 327 times
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Omg, you truly did that way too fast :p Within a day? :shock:

Return to “Graphics Development”