OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by DeletedUser21 »

I made a new transmitter. :)

Any toughts? :)
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Better. Similar to the original but hundred times better.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

That transmitter looks certainly very good :).. Only things again are those... "dots". They seem like some alien's eyes to me :D But if I may I'll take a look on those plate, the ret is superb
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Oh wow, thanks! :D

Yes if you want you may adjust the image. :)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Mr. X: Better than original!
Soeb: Your B. Farm replacement is suitable for original terrain but very bright for new terrain. Also take into consideration that cargo battery sprite is already done. Either change that, or yours.

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Started making the arctic forest industry... I need someone to put some snow on these logs please... I just cannot make it look decent :/ they are going on snowtile in arctic, so gotta match zephyris' snowtile somehow... Any volunteers?
snow_plx.pcx
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Tengawa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tengawa »

Long time lurker of this forum. I had to ask something about your project. Hmm...how does it work :lol:

I tried loading it in the latest nightly and the latest beta (using the grf ingame) but it didn't show. I was hoping to play with the new GUI since I saw how :bow: it is.

Oh well...please provide some answers...I'm waiting ^^
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Tengawa wrote:Long time lurker of this forum. I had to ask something about your project. Hmm...how does it work :lol:

I tried loading it in the latest nightly and the latest beta (using the grf ingame) but it didn't show. I was hoping to play with the new GUI since I saw how :bow: it is.

Oh well...please provide some answers...I'm waiting ^^
The GUI isnt totally finnished yet, so the cursors are not included at this stage.

Heres a howto get the rest showing up: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/NewGRF_FAQ
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

my try
Attachments
naamloos.PNG
naamloos.PNG (4.77 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

It somewhat disturbs that the plates are facing both the same way and just ahead... Maybe (don't look at shading :D) something like this...
Attachments
tr.png
tr.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Hmmm... I think the dishes with an angle to the sides are good. :D
Those of Purno looks also good. I used my dishes design based off the original ones (not copied just used it for the colour tone etc.). :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I tried mine to shade correctly.

Btw, shouldn't transmitters be white to reflect signals?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

The original sprites used black dishes. :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

They need to be "white" in the region of the spectrum they are detecting - which is why telescopes use mirrors and radio antenna use metal dishes...

Nice work on the sprite tho, looking good! :D
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Microwave comms dishes normally have a weather covering... these days. I cant vouch for what microwave dish had 20, 30 years ago. I suspect probably uncovered dishes, as most MW comms then was military rather than civilian.

I think this new antenna looks great, but there could be quite a variety of styles (MW comms, radio antennas, TV transmitters, etc.) and selected at random in the advanced graphics set.

From my airports POV, I think the default tower should have a metal flared girder construction similar to the RKO logo. Any takers? This suits early years, but for later years, Im not sure what antenna complex an airport should have. ISTR most just have twig/whip antennas attached to the top of the control tower.

Any ideas? BenK?
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

basic for Millenium Z1 (tropic)
Attachments
z1.gif
z1.gif (1.79 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

lordazamath wrote:We need to standarize the textures for both oil rig and statue, but else they look fine (oil rig DOES need brightness reduced though :D)..
Well *are* there currently any "standard" textures for the 8bpp revival project? I think of concrete esp.
(Btw, what's so wrong with the grass ground for the statue :?: It should even be codable with ground, if you change xrel/yrel.)

athanasios wrote:I also believe oil rig should be less bright. And it would be even better with some curves. Just like a "curved" lady! :wink:

These might help:
http://www.maritimereplicas.com/images/ ... lrig17.gif
http://www.abc.net.au/southeastnsw/stor ... 165329.jpg
http://www.airfair-group.com/AIR_Pg_Int ... il_Rig.jpg

regards
athanasios

I've appended the picture I used as guideline draft. Source was "the internet" ^^ (I don't find it again ...).

Anyway, I plan to rework the whole oil rig in the next days, if I find some time. Gotta show you the results when I'm ready :))
Attachments
oil_rig.jpg
oil_rig.jpg (8.89 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

red*star, there isn't any standard texture yet, but it all is the same, because Zephyris always does them... He said he just applies a texture, but he hasn't given us any yet :D
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

I'm sorry to say that but I have to left (for now) my cursors/GUI work, because there still exists things like life...
Here I'm attaching what I've done so far. I hope it will at least help someone to make cursors look better ;)
There's also a testing grf for you all, but there's only few sprites replaced (Trond has my big thanks for fastly coding it)
I have to thank all of you for your replies and help. (I've done what Zephyris had said and everytime it surprised me how better it looked. Thanks lordazamath and others for theirs GUI icons ;) )

I hope I'll find some time to draw something again...

btw: to the transmitter, maybe the antenae could be something like those on my tower: http://forum.tycoonez.com/files/zizka2_165.png (originally drawn by Zimmlock)
Attachments
cursorsGUIbub.png
my playground. it doesn't include all GUI/cursors sprites
(91.51 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
arrow.grf
Small testing replacement coded by Trond.
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
I hope these ones are almost done.
I hope these ones are almost done.
doneCursors.png (23.39 KiB) Viewed 5375 times
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Gave it another try. :)

First dish is still forward but much lighter. And the second one I copied from Lordazamaths design. :)

Return to “Graphics Development”