North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Post by FooBar »

L0ki wrote:OTTD 0.5.3
Well, there's your problem[0] :D

The requirements for NA City Set are eiter OpenTTD v0.6 or nightlies (r11451+). 0.5.3 is older than one of those. I'd suggest to upgrade to the latest 0.6 beta.

[0] Don't know if you watch Mythbusters. If so, prunounce like Adam does :wink:
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

L0ki wrote:hello!

i am very new here and already read all the info threads, but i still got a problem to get a lot of building set grfs working. i am playing with OTT 0.5.3 and the NA City Set is listed in my grf box. but when i choose it nothing happens. I waited a short time, but over 5 years no building has changed. What to do?

sorry for my bad english, i am from germany :lol:
Hello Loki and welcome!

Openttd version 0.5.3 does not support "newhouses", which is needed for building sets to work. You will have to download a newer version of OTTD, either a nightly build (from http://www.openttd.org/nightly.php) or 0.6.0-beta3 (http://www.openttd.org/downloads.php).
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jacke wrote: ...
Did that say Sherbrooke in your info? :D Always good to see another Canuck! 8)
L0ki
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L0ki »

oh thanks very much, i will try it as soon as i am home again.
i hope there are only positive changes from 0.5.x to 0.6.0 - i love the 0.5.x build, not at least it is stable along with thousands of vehicles, no more crashes!

somethin little offtopic, this forum is awesome hugh, so: could anybody say me, if it is worth to try getting locomotion? is it as dynamic as OTT? important point: improved CPU AI?

thx at this point already

loki
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

While these will not cure North America of the credit crunch, they will certainly provide banking services to your game. From left to right we have the 1923-1945 appearance (twice), the 1945-1965 appearance, and the 1965-1985 appearence. There are two more appearances in planning, but I am a little bored with banks, for now.

Some parts are by Oz, other parts are by me.
Attachments
FINANCIAL SERVICES.png
FINANCIAL SERVICES.png (116.85 KiB) Viewed 6768 times
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Well, now, that's an interesting mish-mash of my graphics! 8) Mayhaps some signage over the 2nd story windows on the '23-'45 mash-up?

YOUR banks, on the other hand, look simply awsome! :shock:

Cheers!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Eek! I hope you do not mind the mishing and mashing of your buildings. I would like to think that they still retain the same level of beauty and dignity that they do in their original form, just with a slight twist. I thought to myself, why draw a new office tower that will look like somthing Oz drew when I can just use something Oz drew, and change it slightly to make it look unique.

Most of these are based on real-life buildings. The white tower being the Bank of Montreal in Montreal, the large 1923-1945 is the Canadian Bank of Commerce in Montreal, the small 1965-1985 is the Bata Shoe Company office in Toronto, and the small 1945-1965 is based on a church (!) in St. Louis.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Awesome stuff! If it could also transfuse blood into U.S economy and bring it back to life... :lol:

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Hey, 'blood! Rather than pasting together a neo-gothic building, and a Beaux Arts one, how 'bout just a straight up Beaux Arts one that I just threw together instead?

Cheers!
Attachments
1920s Bank.png
1920s Bank.png (3.94 KiB) Viewed 6446 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Ah, but Oz, I was going for the eclectic look of the financial district of old Montreal. However, I do like your building. What if we used it as something like an exhibition hall?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

My only issue is that, graphically, your bank is going to be a lot easier to 'miss' in the crowd against the Chicago school buildings. Whereas Oz's bank clearly stands apart from them as a different building.

Both look good, however.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Fair enough. Some changes will be made. I am glad this came to light before I drew the construction sprites, otherwise (to paraphrase athanasios a few posts above) there would would be lots of blood, and not much life in this topic.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Oh, I'd just like to chime in my endorsement of this set, I think I may have given OzTransLtd a bit too much mixed signals when I responded to his PM he originally sent me about his intentions with my work. As the original guy who took those sprites Oz had drawn that had laid around for probably over a year and coded them into the multi-megabyte monster building set that was NABS, I hereby decree that the North American City Set is FREAKING AWESOME! It's a regular fixture of my short-lived OpenTTD games now, I <3 it very muchly :).

I'm also in love with the fact I don't have to maintain that awfully gigantic modular codebase monster that the NFO conversion was turning into. You've all got no idea how tedious the thing was to work with in GRFMaker. How Csaboka coded TTRSv1, 2 and 3 in that program astounds me.

Anyways. NACS. Quality nice. Keep it up :).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Aegir wrote:Oh, I'd just like to chime in my endorsement of this set, ... I hereby decree that the North American City Set is FREAKING AWESOME! ...
Thank you very much ... there have never been any hard feelings, and your previous involvement is still very much appreciated.

Now, where is our Chief Engineer ? We would like to start on the next instalment, the Financial Services Sector ...
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

(The deputy engineer is under a pile of university essays that need to be marked.)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

lifeblood wrote:(The deputy engineer is under a pile of university essays that need to be marked.)
The deputy test facility director lends his self-inking A++ stamp to the deputy engineer and accepts gratuitous payments ... erm ... donations ... from grateful students. 8)
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Ha! While I've been giving out several 'A's, stamping all of these 1st year essays A++ would be a crime against humanity. Anyhow, work is almost done. I just need a clear weekend, really.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Hey, gang! I finished up the Beaux Arts bank, and I'm posting it for any comments or fixes. If all looks well, I'll consider this sprite finished.

Aegir: Wassup, Bubba? It's been awhile! I'm glad that you like the NACS. I was really concerned about taking the rug out from under you. Especially with all of the work that you put into NABS. I mean, you were the first to jump on board and code my buildings that had been floating in digital never-neverland. For this I am eternally grateful! :bow: We've always had a great working relationship, and if you ever get the coding itch, it would be awesome to work with you again.

'blood: Hey, man, if you want, since it seems you're in a bit of a time crush, I can work on some snow and construction stages for a few of your banks. Just PM them to me. It was cool getting back to my 'roots,' and work on a building. It was a nice distraction from the steel mill construction stages, because those are a b**ch to draw, and are going very slowly.

Cheers, all!
Attachments
1920s Bank.png
1920s Bank.png (29.65 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
ImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Oz wrote:Hey, gang! I finished up the Beaux Arts bank, and I'm posting it for any comments or fixes. If all looks well, I'll consider this sprite finished.
I can't see any money. :mrgreen:
/me hides
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

oh dear me, i need a clean set of boxers.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Return to “Graphics Development”