OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NihilistMatt
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by NihilistMatt »

Sorry if solutions to this has already been pointed out, I can't be bothered to flick through hundreds of posts :P

I use the DOS graphics sets, so the Infrastructure set uses a garbled palette. Is there any easy way of rectifying this short of snooping around for a new Windows copy (or pirating, god forbid)? my Windows TTDLX CD is in several pieces now =(
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Zephyris wrote:Re: Mr. X
TBH I think the transmitter looks far too modern, and quite out of scale. Remember the sprite is reused in the airport, so has to fit there too. I would prefer one which is more like the original...

Okay fair point. :)

I'll see what I can do. :)
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

About the cursors: do they have to be the same size as the old ones? Some of them would
look (even) better if they were narrower (arrow closer to the graphic): order cursors, station,
auto-rail, lighthouse, etc.

Other than that, they look great. And I like them yellow. I'd only change the color from yellow
if it wouldn't sit well in the game.
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

2Zephyris: Which style of icon do you prefer? I think in editing tools (like autorail) it could be 1:1, but with buildings (like depot) it could be 1:2 (and small icons also croped from 1:2).
(and btw: I've edited those rotated arrows and it really looks better if they have same direction ;) )
rbenevid wrote:About the cursors: do they have to be the same size as the old ones? Some of them would
look (even) better if they were narrower (arrow closer to the graphic): order cursors, station,
auto-rail, lighthouse, etc.
Other than that, they look great. And I like them yellow. I'd only change the color from yellow
if it wouldn't sit well in the game.
I like the idea of arrows over icons. Here it's how it look's like. What says the others? Should I stick all icons with arrows?
And because the arrow is everywhere the same it won't be hard to swith to another color (or shape).
Attachments
spojene.png
spojene.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
Last edited by bubersson on 19 Feb 2008 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

I'm impressed! I love it bubersson, and as you say, it will be easy for me to switch to my own arrow if I wish... They really look good! :bow:

I agree with Zeph.

Will you do other icons also (when cursors are done?) Like the ones in vehicle window etc? Oh yeh, I messed around a lot to get the landicon (similar to raise lower land with the =) code right... Is that also why we dont see it in your set yet?
Does this code look correct for everyone?

Code: Select all

-1 * 4	 05 95 01 5c
   -1 sprites/arrow2.pcx 48 7 03 32 32 0 0
NihilistMatt: Try searching a bit, there are several places to download from, but I'm not gonna put out links in the forum, coz that may get me a free beating :lol: I'vee seen it on some of the worlds biggest (swedish) torrentsites tough :P
Last edited by Trond on 19 Feb 2008 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

TBH I think you should go for 1:2 for all cursors, and use a cropped version for the icons. I think it would be good to make the autorail etc. tool icons smaller so they are not quite identical to what you are placing, purely for clarity...
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

Trond: Thanks for your support. I still have to have feeling that I'm doing something useful ;) But also as I said credits of some icons goes to another artists.

And I think I'll have to do other icons (I've already started), because it should be in same style as cursors. But I'll have to have it ready since next week (school starts). So then it will be upto other autors to finnish GUI.

Zephyris: Ok, that sounds good. I'll give it a try... but after breakfast :D
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

bubersson wrote:Trond: Thanks for your support. I still have to have feeling that I'm doing something useful ;) But also as I said credits of some icons goes to another artists.

And I think I'll have to do other icons (I've already started), because it should be in same style as cursors. But I'll have to have it ready since next week (school starts). So then it will be upto other autors to finnish GUI.
Usefull indeed! This is a part of the game we all see all the time, and some change to it is sought after by several... tbh, I think its time for you to put out a preview.grf for us soon :D

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

NihilistMatt wrote:I use the DOS graphics sets, so the Infrastructure set uses a garbled palette. Is there any easy way of rectifying this...
Only way (and it's up to you if that's easy or not) is using the grfcodec tool.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And some quick instructions:
1. Download GRFCodec.
2. Unzip it to the /data folder of your OpenTTD installation.
3. Press [windows button]+r, type "cmd" (no quotes) and press enter.
4. Type "cd [location of your OpenTTD data folder]" (no quotes, for example "cd C:/games/openttd/data") and press enter.
5. Type "grfcodec -d [grfname].grf" (no quotes) and press enter.
6. Type "grfcodec -e -m 1 [grfname].grf" (no quotes) and press enter.

*edit* corrected from -m 2 to -m 1 for encoding.
Raumkraut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Raumkraut »

@Addi
I made them two round boards to obviously differentiate them from the old signals. I wasn't sure about their shape at first either. After playing the game for a while though, I hardly notice their shape. I put it down to them just being different. Everyone fears change. ;)

@bubersson
Being a primarily tropical player, I wonder how the yellow/orange cursor will look over desert terrain? Might it sometimes get 'lost' on such a similar-coloured background?
NihilistMatt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NihilistMatt »

@FooBar, Zephyris:

Thanks for the help! I forgot to mention I was on Linux though... but grfcodec managed to work under Wine (the Linux version threw "cannot execute binary file" errors and the like though) regardless >.>
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

There's an i386 (I believe; it might be i586) Linux binary in the same place as the Windows binary, and the source should compile on all OSen, both big and little endian.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

Raumkraut wrote:@Addi
@bubersson
Being a primarily tropical player, I wonder how the yellow/orange cursor will look over desert terrain? Might it sometimes get 'lost' on such a similar-coloured background?
I think it's usable even in other climates. Sometimes it's harder to recognize cursor on city buildings, but it's still visible.

I'm not a coder, so I'll have to ask somebody to code it as soon as it is publishable ;)
Attachments
desert.png
desert.png (65.29 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I like those a lot! Nice work!
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

If we could also add a transparent cast shadow it would kick ***! :lol:

It would be useful to have an option for bigger cursors, to distinguish them in higher resolutions.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

I could always code the cursors, considering I have much of the code started already, it should be quite easy... Send me the pixels as pcx or png in this forum or pm if you want...

Zeph: Just a little complaint here... The sawmill have a small mistake... the windows just aint right, the seem to be out of proportion and wider at the right than at the left... jfyi...

Bertrand Russell

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Ummm, the sawmill doesn't have windows!
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I started working on toyland fences. What do you think so far? Should I make it like that or try to make another design?
Attachments
fences_toyland.png
fences_toyland.png (944 Bytes) Viewed 4534 times
fences_toyland_big.png
fences_toyland_big.png (997 Bytes) Viewed 4537 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Zephyris wrote:Ummm, the sawmill doesn't have windows!
door?
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (15.93 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

Bertrand Russell

Return to “Graphics Development”