OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Zephyris »

Re: George
Ahhh, river bugs. There are many, and some insurmountable!
I am strongly against redrawing the coasts to match the rivers, I love lepkkas shores! A redraw would reduce the obviousness of the bugs, but could not remove them, try the rivers with the default terrain to see what I mean.

In my modified version of your screenshot:
1. Pink circles: Completely unavoidable, and possibly worthy of a bug report. The river tiles, despite being at sea level and bordered by 3 water tiles still have "corners".
2. Green circles: IMO the correct behaviour. Ideally i would like an altitude varaction2 property for canals which lets you alter the bank graphics when sloping down to sea level, which would allow seamless transistion from river bank to shore. May cause bugs with other sea level rivers though.
3. Peach circle: Debatably the correct behaviour, but an altitude varaction2 property would allow shore graphics to be given to sea level river banks like this one for a more consistent look...

I'll have a proper look at the bugs and see if I can suggest a suitable patch to fix them, redrawing graphics won't particularly help....
Attachments
screenshot mod.PNG
screenshot mod.PNG (228.03 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Zephyris wrote:Ideally i would like an altitude varaction2 property for canals
Like the one that is already there?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Is that the "height above ground" property mentioned here? In that case I shall make some riverbanks for sea level, with banks like the coastline, and hopefully get a nice transition on the sloped banks down to sea level...

*edit* What about this "bug":
1. Pink circles: Completely unavoidable, and possibly worthy of a bug report. The river tiles, despite being at sea level and bordered by 3 water tiles still have "corners".
I can see the logic used: It is a river tile, so has river banks. If there is land on the adjacent tile (including diagonally adjacent) draw the appropriate riverbank. Is there any way to tweak this so seawater overrides drawing of banks adjacent (excluding diagonally adjacent) to them?
Raumkraut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Raumkraut »

Here we go then, a full set of signal lights for all climes! :D
Working from Soeb and buttercups' previous GRFs (and nsignalsw.grf), I've managed to mash together the GRF myself. :)

Have I missed anything?

-- Edit --
Fixed the Toyland signals - ta buttercup. :)
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newSignals_v0.4.png
OpenGFX_-_newSignals_v0.4.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
OpenGFX_-_newSignals_v0.4.grf
Attempt #2
(11.26 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times
Last edited by Raumkraut on 15 Feb 2008 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Zephyris wrote:Re: George
I am strongly against redrawing the coasts to match the rivers, I love lepkkas shores!
Well, IMHO they do not fit these rivers, so I'd like not to see them this way
Zephyris wrote:A redraw would reduce the obviousness of the bugs, but could not remove them, try the rivers with the default terrain to see what I mean.
They fit better than Lepkka's ones and I suppose it should be possible to provide a version that fits even better.
Zephyris wrote:I'll have a proper look at the bugs and see if I can suggest a suitable patch to fix them, redrawing graphics won't particularly help....
I think because river sprites expand shore to the water, sea shore should behave (look) the same.
Image Image Image Image
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephyris, this is what the canals look like at the moment:
canals.png
canals.png (107.35 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
Raumkraut, in the Toyland signal GUI, the pre-signals are misaligned by a pixel:
signalgui.png
signalgui.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

I posted this earlier also but I think I posted it in transparent. :tongue:

Anyway, weren't the canal and lock graphics already original sprites since those were made by the community and not by Chris Sawyers team :?: :)
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

As I understand it, the existing canals and locks were based on the original game textures. Since the textures need to be remade, so too do the canals and locks.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Would it be possible to have the river banks somewhat more irregular? At the moment, its all straight lines, and looks a lot like brown-edged canals. A bit more irregularity - like the coastlines have, would look superb.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

George wrote:
Zephyris wrote:Re: George
I am strongly against redrawing the coasts to match the rivers, I love lepkkas shores!
Well, IMHO they do not fit these rivers, so I'd like not to see them this way
Zephyris wrote:A redraw would reduce the obviousness of the bugs, but could not remove them, try the rivers with the default terrain to see what I mean.
They fit better than Lepkka's ones and I suppose it should be possible to provide a version that fits even better.
Zephyris wrote:I'll have a proper look at the bugs and see if I can suggest a suitable patch to fix them, redrawing graphics won't particularly help....
I think because river sprites expand shore to the water, sea shore should behave (look) the same.
Previous versions of my shores will fit, the ones not using the 05 0d action. But then all the work made by lakie its useless. I't going backwards. I strongly recommend changing rivers code, just a different riverbank for sea-line shores.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

richk67 wrote:Would it be possible to have the river banks somewhat more irregular? At the moment, its all straight lines, and looks a lot like brown-edged canals. A bit more irregularity - like the coastlines have, would look superb.
that's possible, but won't fit with any (mine or others) irregular shores: they need the sea to be drawn on the sloped-beached tiles
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Nice job on the signals Raumkraut! Now I hope someone will soon make a new headquarter for us :wink:
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Revised Battery Icon
Attachments
Battery.png
Battery.png (569 Bytes) Viewed 4920 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

New version with the revised battery icon.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newCargoIcons_v0.15.grf
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 1182 times

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Purno wrote:Would my TGV graphics be of any use for this set?

(and perhaps there's more interesting stuff at http://users.tt-forums.net/2cc/sprites/ )
Ofcourse :)
I'm starting to code it now, if I may :)
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Talking abot that... Did anyone agree on how the sets should be? Just a pure GFX replacement with no stats altered, or one with new stats? My preference is the first one... I think we shall stay true to that part of the game (for now?) and just replace the graphics with better gfx (and for the question of copyrights).. DanmacK have also made a lot of gfx for trains I believe...

Bertrand Russell

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Trond wrote:Talking abot that... Did anyone agree on how the sets should be? Just a pure GFX replacement with no stats altered, or one with new stats? My preference is the first one... I think we shall stay true to that part of the game (for now?) and just replace the graphics with better gfx (and for the question of copyrights).. DanmacK have also made a lot of gfx for trains I believe...
hmm.. Ok I think you are right.. So I made a little actionA sprite replacement :)
tim.png
tim.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
OpenGFX_-_newVehicles_TIM--TGV_v0.1.grf
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
the livery override and that stuff will come as opengfx+ and will be a new engine, not actionA.
madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Addi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Addi »

Can't you make one big board at the normal signals (and not two round boards)? like at the screen.
Two round boards looks ugly for me...

and I think the presignals should have the same high than the normal signals...
Attachments
signal.PNG
signal.PNG (384 Bytes) Viewed 4435 times
Sorry for my bad english!

Wi wärs mitämä bsüächli uf minere Siitä http://www.ttdx.ch.vu?
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

It looks good for me. And no - pre-signals need to be higher then the signals.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Regarding vehicle replacement.

Firstly, we need to acknolwedge that the new vehicle set must be built on top of the existing ones to remain backward compatible with old savegames. For instance we can add more locos, but the replacements for vanilla ttd locos must remain on their place ID wise and more or less stat wise.

This creates a problem with tenders (minor one) and tractive effort (more important one).

Should we add generations of train cars, or just add time based livery change (better because it is simpler)?
Should car/loco lengths differ or be set at 8/8? (test for compatibility is required)
Should we keep rail/mono/mag? Should the next tech outplace the previous? Or should all lines be expanded?

We can use 2CC, trunk ottd supports it.

There is a chance that we are going to have a significant increase in free IDs, so how many locos do we want (LOTS, of course :P)

Which start date we want to use? 1900? 1800? 1850?

Now which theme we want to use for each climate?
Temprate - Europe/Russia?
Arctic - North America?
Tropic - South America/Africa/India/Australia?

Now - planes are still missing, we need ships, more of them...

The keyword is compatibility tho - we can expand, but cannot remove anything from vanilla TTD.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.

Return to “Graphics Development”