OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Zephyris »

Timitry wrote:For example tracks - Only thing missing are signals (probably rather easy) and bridges, waypoints are not from tto and so the ones existing might be included? Then you could say "Tracks - Done", and it would look even cooler ingame :)
Well ideally yes, but there is more than just signals bridges and waypoints... depots need drawing, toyland stations need drawing, tunnels need improvement and I would also really want to release all roads, canals, locks, docks with that. So may as well release airport graphics too... With the infrastructure there are just so many little sprites and odds and ends!

A better target is terrain (already done), and landscape (only rivers, transmitters and lighthouses left)...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Nice looking trains uzurpator. One thing I noticed, the cars are a full 32px long, Should they not be 31px to allow for the coupling gap?

Aside from that, excellent work.

*Edit* - Toyland Cargo Icons
Attachments
ToylandIcons.png
ToylandIcons.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Here are the CargoIcons including toyland, so it should be 100% now :) Thanks to DanMacK for the GFX and me for the code :P

Edit: If anyone's updating wiki, please include these :) Every little piece counts, right?
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newCargoIcons_v0.14.grf
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 1116 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Now in the wiki...
Raumkraut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Raumkraut »

I wanted to contribute something to the project, but I'm not especially artistically talented. So I went for the smallest thing I could think of, and knocked up some new signal graphics for you. :)
Points to consider:
- I don't know GRF coding, so I haven't tested them in-game. I generally hand-picked from the palette though, so the colours should be right.
- There is less 'light' visible on the diagonals than the original, due to the hood I've added over the lights. Hopefully though there's still enough that you won't get eye-strain watching for the signals!
- The rear-view sprites have a slight coloured glow above the active light. I'm not sure if this is going to be visible enough to be really useful. That said, the originals didn't have any indication AFAICT.
Thoughts?

As we apparently don't need new semaphore graphics, does that also mean we don't need any new presignals either?

Also:
Does anyone else think the new normal-rail station graphic looks a bit 'busy', with all the benches on the platform?
Attachments
signals-new.png
signals-new.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
signals-new.pcx
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
signals-mockup.png
signals-mockup.png (7.94 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I'll code them. You'll have grf soon.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Raumkraut wrote: As we apparently don't need new semaphore graphics, does that also mean we don't need any new presignals either?
We just need to base the new pre-signals on your sprites, as the old ones were based on the old signals and therefore we can't use them
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

As I said. Signals are here now. Could anyone tweak code so they don't appear in toyland? I can't get it working.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newSignals_v0.1.grf
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Soeb wrote:As I said. Signals are here now. Could anyone tweak code so they don't appear in toyland? I can't get it working.
It seemed to work okay for me, but I've moved the Action 7 to only skip the Action A (is that how it's "supposed" to be done?).

I also recoloured them slightly for use in Toyland (originals are untouched), and changed the initials in the GRFID to your initials :wink:
OpenGFX_-_newSignals_v0.2.grf
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Thanks for tweaking. I didn't know those were initials. I though it was hexnumber. Now here's another tweaked version. Adds "Graphics by..." . If anyone can change those a little and make pre-signal graphics from it I can code them.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newSignals_v0.3.grf
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Would my TGV graphics be of any use for this set?

(and perhaps there's more interesting stuff at https://users.tt-forums.net/2cc/sprites/ )
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

Someone mentioned a lightouse?

I did one for you to use.
I have to say it is a little...."quaint"- and I could understand why people may prefer a bigger more modern one.

If you all like it though you are free to use it if you like.
I coded it for you all to try-i didn't use your naming style as I thought you would want to add it in to a larger grf if people think its alright.

Hope you all like it.

(oh- by the way- you can find it in the newgrf settings list as MPH lighthouse v0.0.1)
Attachments
lighthouse.png
lighthouse.png (38.55 KiB) Viewed 5242 times
lighthouse.grf
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 1184 times
previously known as daylight
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Nice lighthouse!! :) Would it be possible to code the lighthouse to be one of say, 4 designs, based on the GRF random data? Since it is a static item, the choice of graphic need only be at game start.

Also, the same can happen with transmitters. My NewGRF_ports can use a completely independent transmitter in the newgrf, so the only problem would come with airport replacement sets that expect the transmitter to be in the particular place in the sprite cache.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Right, I hope this works...
allrivers.png
allrivers.png (66.35 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
OpenGFX_-_Rivers_v0.1.grf
(101.86 KiB) Downloaded 1267 times
If someone who knows what they're doing wants to take a look at the code to see if there are any glaring errors, feel free to do so.

Zephyris, the randomising can only handle sets in powers of 2, so it will only show 16 of the 18 sets of sloped water tiles you provided.

Edit: To clarify, this includes river tiles for all climates as well as the random sloped water tiles.
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

I absolutely loved the lighthouse. I didn't think it was quaint, either.... :bow: :bow:
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

So much nice graphics popping in now :)

Those trains look awesome Purno!

That lighthouse look like a lighthouse to me, and I've seen a couple in real life ;) Good job, looks really good in game too!!
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

buttercup wrote:To clarify, this includes river tiles for all climates as well as the random sloped water tiles.
May I do a request? Could sea shore be redone to the river shore style? It looks ugly near rivers.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (230.78 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Image Image Image Image
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

mph: Can we have a red color livery of the lighthouse?
DanMacK: Nice you changed the cola can. :wink: Can you do something different for the batery? It looks very similar to original and I was thinking of changing it.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

DanMacK wrote:One thing I noticed, the cars are a full 32px long, Should they not be 31px to allow for the coupling gap?
Would you bet on this? ;) They are 31 px with tight coupling in / and \ views.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Ahhh, I see now, my bad. Was having one of those days.

I was also playing with the new trains, and noticed a gap in all views when coupled. This doesn't happen in depots The cars should be coupled a little tighter, currently they're set up with 8/8 offsets, not 7/8 offsets :) I think there are 2 8/8 locos initially. All the rest are 28px.

Just an observation.

Return to “Graphics Development”