OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by richk67 »

One of my many plans - sorry I havent been getting around to them (life!!) - is to calculate placement of rivers based on assumed water flow/rainfall. One of the routines would be a simple "where does water go from this tile?" subroutine. This would be an ideal feed into this rivers .grf.

But please dont hold your breath - Im busy again, and need to do some more Airports stuff first.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Just a question, if we want to get away from copyright issues, wouldn't we have to change the names of the locos too? I mean, those are inventions by the TTD-Developers...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

As far as I know names can't be copyright, only trademarked - and then only if used as a means of sale/product ID...
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

That being said, maybe use original names, even if they loosely match the locomotives?
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Some basic banks for all climates - the snowy will probably be updated to add some ice over the water...

*edit* added some generic rock water tiles. No "splashes" special effect colours, these might have to be added...
Attachments
Canal+Rivers 8bpp Complete.png
Canal+Rivers 8bpp Complete.png (144.59 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Rocky River.png
Rocky River.png (59.4 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
Loop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loop »

Wow, these look very good! And hurray for randomness. The previous sloped tiles looked very monotonous and flat. But your ones are just perfect.

And I've also seen MB's "iced river" tiles. It would be really amazing to see something similar in OTTD.
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

I have something to post: There are arctic Locos, and updated rail freight wagons within it. The ones by DanMacK, and Zephyris.
At the noment, there are no livery override for the turner turbo diesel...
Wow, these look very good! And hurray for randomness. The previous sloped tiles looked very monotonous and flat. But your ones are just perfect.

And I've also seen MB's "iced river" tiles. It would be really amazing to see something similar in OTTD.
I think the grass, and dirt tiles should have that feature too :)
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newVehicles_-_Rail_v0.3.grf
the windows grf
(29.84 KiB) Downloaded 2995 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I believe there are plans to introduce randomised terrain tiles, not sure by who or when though...
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

randomslopes.png
randomslopes.png (46.21 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
randomslopes.grf
(51.31 KiB) Downloaded 1200 times
I'll make a start on all the river/canal graphics tomorrow.
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Now if we only had meandering rivers :lol: Looks awesome by the way.
Loop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loop »

buttercup, it looks great!

And funny thing - when I first saw your image cut, I looked at it rom the SW-NE angle (the / direction in the game). And it looked like the flat river tiles are with rocks, and the sloped ones are plain. Funny effect :-)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

buttercup, are those flat water tiles coded in, or are they from a different grf?
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

New trains look awesome :D I was thiking we should change intro dates for the new release, would that be possible?

The Turbo is the last diesel, I think the CS4000 should be bumped up to 1988 or so (at least that's how I intended it) Or should this be kept for the advacned set? I can draw a more "ttdgeneric" loco if you want a 7/8 version of both it and the Centennial as well.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

One question on advanced gfx replacement: Why there are trams? They're part of game. Rivers aren't that long and they are in main replacement.
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

DanMacK wrote:New trains look awesome :D I was thiking we should change intro dates for the new release, would that be possible?

The Turbo is the last diesel, I think the CS4000 should be bumped up to 1988 or so (at least that's how I intended it) Or should this be kept for the advacned set? I can draw a more "ttdgeneric" loco if you want a 7/8 version of both it and the Centennial as well.
The more ttdgeneric verison is only depends on you, if you draw a better ill include it.
Everíthing is possible, changing the release dates etc... but this break the identical stat copy from the default vehicles... As I know the replacement is only ment to replace the default sprites from trg1r.grf, and other grfs. Everything else should go to an advenced replacement, witch changes the stats for the vehicles. 7of9 will include your passanger and mail wagon override for turner turbo, I have sent the grx for him.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Soeb, I don't understand what you mean... This project has drawn rivers, and will draw trams. These will be provided as an extra "advanced graphics replacement" in addition to the basic graphics replacement from trg*r.grf. If you want to use trams then there are many available, see my sig. for example, and if you want to see trams included in trunk then go and pester a dev! :D
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephyris wrote:buttercup, are those flat water tiles coded in, or are they from a different grf?
They're separate - just a quick test on my part to see what plain water would look like (it lacks any white shimmering/sparkling).
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Ok - this was something I first spoke about with DanMacK.

I think that it would make sense, to differentiate Tropics and Arctic by providing different locomotives, this should be ofc reserved for advanced set. However It would also make sense to replace the tropic locos with different sprites then arctic ones.

Ie the stats are the same, but art is different for tropic and arctic.

So - below you have the fruits of my labor :D
Attachments
showcase2.png
showcase2.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
tropic2.png
tropic2.png (40.27 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Again: Great work guys, i really love it and already use the provided grfs for play!
I think, that if we have the chance to change some stuff with the opengfx, we should definitely do so, i guess noone will complain if there is a diesel engine in tropic which intro date is 1998 or so AND which is better than the older ones :) also the steam trains should be included very early to enable an early start of the game... Just my 2 cents ;-)

To the work progress:
It would be reaaaally cool if parts of this project would be completely finished, for example tracks - Only thing missing are signals (probably rather easy) and bridges, waypoints are not from tto and so the ones existing might be included? Then you could say "Tracks - Done", and it would look even cooler ingame :) Well, just asking, i know i'm not doing anything to help so don't give too much on my opinion :roll:

Keep up the great work!
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I agree with Timitry and I also add:

"Why should different art work go into the extended grf if the stats remain the same? It doesn't change anything. It should be in the main grf as climate sprite replacement. Part of the original artwork looks out of place in some climates. We should fix that."

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “Graphics Development”