OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by athanasios »

Roujin: I also favor the existing color scheme, because toyland is poor in sprites and will look monotonous if you make only green trees. Please make full use of the changing colors in trees. Just make sure that there are not many brigh colors that disturb the eye. Trunk could be a bit brighter as Zephyris suggested.

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here are a couple of fixes to previously drawn sprites and a couple of direct replacement locos for the Kelling and the MJS.

The Wood car I posted wasn't loaded in the diagonals and I had a couple of extra black pixels on my F7.

Also, I drew a double end cab unit and a boxcab diesel (modified from Zephyris' goods van :P) for the double ended units.

Hope this helps.

Toyland trains next.
Attachments
3100-F7Revised.png
3100-F7Revised.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
Direct Replacement for Kelling 3100 and MJS1000
Direct Replacement for Kelling 3100 and MJS1000
8BPPTrainReplacement.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
Loaded Wood Car
Loaded Wood Car
LoadedWood.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

DanMacK wrote:Here are a couple of fixes to previously drawn sprites and a couple of direct replacement locos for the Kelling and the MJS.

The Wood car I posted wasn't loaded in the diagonals and I had a couple of extra black pixels on my F7.

Also, I drew a double end cab unit and a boxcab diesel (modified from Zephyris' goods van :P) for the double ended units.

Hope this helps.

Toyland trains next.
Thanks for the sprites they look really nice... Ill code them tomorrow, as well your updated rail carriages. Keep up nice work :)
7of9 wrote:
thgergo wrote:I have coded DanMacK`s arctic Locos, but i have encountered some problems with it:
The Kelling 3100, and the MJS 1000. Those two Locos have 4 views in original TTD, so if I want to add the other full 8 sprites, ill have to use more than an action A spriteswap... Also, supporting the Turner turbo passanger, and mail overrides needs more than replacing the default sprites. So here is my question, should I make them work with more advanced newgrf coding, or the sprites should be redesigned?
Lastly shall I update the "newVehicles - Rail v0.2" grf with DanMacK`s locos, or make a seperate grf file?

If u want, just send me the .nfo (s) and .pcx'es, and ill add them to what i already have made... or i can send u what i have made...
I`ll decode the 0.2 version then add my lines then recode it as 0.3... Also ill update the wagon graphic with the ones by DanMacK. Would be this way okey for you?
Zephyris wrote: I'm not quite happy with your \ and _ offsets, it looks like they need to be 1 px higher to me, not sure how it compares to the old graphics though, some of them had very interesting alignments!
I have used the default carriages to get the corresponding offsets. The "_" y offset, shouldnt be increased, since it appears on the purchase engines window, only the echanced replacement could have seperate graphic for that window...
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Nice locos DanMacK. :]
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephyris wrote:Buttercup, if you want a real challenge you can try and code my wip river sprites... I have now idea how the images I have done correspond to the sprites in the grf, it would be a lot of chopping and offsetting!
Edit: New version available, see a bit further down...
Last edited by buttercup on 12 Feb 2008 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Noticed another oopsie with the coal cars - Didn't extend the | views like I did on the other cars. Fixed version below. Also noticed I had the stripe on the \ view of the food car too low.
Attachments
FullLengthCoal.png
FullLengthCoal.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
FixedFood.png
FixedFood.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Zephyris wrote:And a gentle reminder, please update the wiki/tracking table as you make more graphics...

I have no idea about the codes at wiki, so please do claim me the forest and buoy if you have the time. Forest gfx by you, and buoy gfx by lepkka :)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cargo Icons

Post by Trond »

DanMacK wrote:Was just playing around and decided to do up some cargo icons. Didn't see they were claimed yet. All are there except Toyland. The paper, wood and steel are from Zephyris' trains :) All others drawn by hand.

Enjoy. Toyland will be done later.
Sorry for doublepost, but wouldnt mix the two :roll:

I decided I would try to code these, and they look good and all, but... I get into some problems. I'm not sure, but I think my problems may be releated to palette, as some of the icons dont look same in game and outside. Could this be becoz I use the 8bpp palette (same as original gamefiles) and DanMacK painted these in 32bpp? So when I convert them I get some pixels using colors that shouldnt be used for objects?? Like CC or something like that?

If so, how do I fix it? Retouch the odd pixels? Load another palette that will work in game?

I have to say tough, the passenger icon looks very nice in my game :D

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Trond
I think you need palconvert to convert the animated colours into the normal colour equivalent...

Palconvert - Palette converter for action colours, converts action colours to normal colours. In the command line:
"palconvert <pcxname>" - converts target PCX action colours to normal colours.
"palconvert <pcxname> -C" - converts target PCX action colours to normal colours, not altering company colours.

Re: DanMacK
Awesome! :D

Re: Buttercup
I am going to draw some new sloped water tiles, they will be based on these ones provided by leppka - these would make a good placeholder. Is it quite easy to code rivers? You did that really fast! I think I will make the other climate river/canal graphics too, I'm not entirely happy with my artwork but someone else may want to tweak it.
Attachments
slopedwater.png
slopedwater.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Thanx Zephyris, I actually tought of that... but then I took a SS of the mail icon ingame and blew it up in PSP and the problem was that the grey colors used in the mail icon doesnt come out very well on the dark grey backround of the station windows, so in fact there where nothing wrong like I first tought :roll: its noot easy beeing noob :lol:

So I guess I should rather ask DanMacK: you wanne change a bit on the mailicon so it comes out better? If you look at the screenshot in a 500% zoom you will see what I mean I think... (eventough its much more visible ingame...)

EDIT: Done coding all the cargo icons, now would be a good time to do those toyland icons DanMacK ;) And I would probably have to start a toyland game, wich will be my first ever... oh my eyes... 8)
Attachments
Image6.png
Image6.png (615 Bytes) Viewed 5692 times

Bertrand Russell

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

New Mail Icon - Revised Will do the Toyland ones tonight

One note regarding generic trams as well. I personally think the Generic Tram Set should serve as a base for release for the advanced graphics. Maybe add an early tram (I can do that :D)
Attachments
NewMailIcon.png
NewMailIcon.png (682 Bytes) Viewed 5589 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Great DanMacK! :bow:

Here's a fast preview without the toyland icons. Let me know if anything needs fixing or something ^^
Attachments
cargo.grf
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 992 times

Bertrand Russell

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The generic tram set shamelessly copies the original graphics, so use of its graphics should be avoided. The code, however, is definately available.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

since rivers are being worked, why don't draw them like small falls instead of only rocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tambo_river.jpg)? it will give to the game a little more eyecandy, also because there are too many rocks on the river, or maybe full falls too, which looks good when the fall is larger than one tile, this intended to be an extension of current slopes, not to replace all them

and another thing, will rivers support different graphics with height difference (like over the snowline)? because we might draw also these kind of rivers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:R%C3 ... onso_2.jpg
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Wolf01 wrote:and another thing, will rivers support different graphics with height difference (like over the snowline)?
The rivers feature does indeed support this.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And I will be providing the graphics soon! I would like to make the rivers above the snow line lined with ice, something like this, and make the rivers in the desert lined with grass... It may be a bit of a challenge!
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

New version:
riverbanks2.png
riverbanks2.png (131.65 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
riverbanks.grf
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 1213 times
Perhaps it's a little late to be saying this, but is there any chance the flat water graphics could be made to not flow in a specific direction? It doesn't look right when an isolated patch of water just flows for no particular reason, and it doesn't quite fit with the sloped water tiles either.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'll use the GTS as inspiration then :D
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: buttercup
There is, as far as i know, now way to let the rivers/canals have different flat water graphics to the sea, and there is definately no way for the game to know which way the river would be flowing. You could push for a patch, but to be honest I don't see the devs being very interested in including it in trunk...

Re: DanMacK
When drawing the new tram graphics make them slightly longer, like the trains, so they fit together better when the tram is traveling straight...
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephyris wrote:Re: buttercup
There is, as far as i know, now way to let the rivers/canals have different flat water graphics to the sea, and there is definately no way for the game to know which way the river would be flowing. You could push for a patch, but to be honest I don't see the devs being very interested in including it in trunk...
Sorry, what I meant was "would lepkka mind if we edited his flat water sprites so that they don't flow in any particular direction?"

That is if there is sufficient interest to do so...

Return to “Graphics Development”