OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Roujin »

That looks a lot like you just recolored the old one. Is this the case?

Because the aim for this project is to have completely new drawn sprites to get rid of the copyright issues once and for all.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

richk67 wrote:Jetfoil: 167 to 400 passengers. Good enough?

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboJET lots of passenger versions
http://www.ahv.lynden.com/ahv/lacv-30.html 30 tonnes of cargo
Haha. Owned.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Roujin wrote:That looks a lot like you just recolored the old one. Is this the case?

Because the aim for this project is to have completely new drawn sprites to get rid of the copyright issues once and for all.
Well, I looked at the old one, and made a new one based on that. This is also more elongated and 1 pixel higher than the old one, so...

But if this is not a good enough method to do things, I'll remove it and remake it...

This pic shows: Biggest I made - The one I posted here - original one
Attachments
buoy.png
buoy.png (415 Bytes) Viewed 7118 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Oh, sorry then - I shouldn't have just assumed things without checking.

I guess drawing a new sprite with the old one "in mind" is good enough. Let's see what the others (OpenGFX responsible people) say tho as I am merely a bystander here ;)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

I think it looks quite nice.. :P. But if you want to make completely different you may do that aswell.. for example buoys actually doesn't have those flaggies.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoy
but do as you wish :) Any help is appreciated anyway.

And Zephyris, time for another industry release? with my two tropical and tronds forest?
BTW: Trond, I didn't check, but do you have action07 to limit your forest to only temperate?
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Chaps, be aware that Lepkka has drawn a great new buoy with his newWater set. Might be worth speaking to him first.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Sorry to be a bit of a dissenting voice, but the new forest has the wrong sort of trees. Ive never seen a commercial forest with those sorts of trees. Conifers (spruce, pine, etc.) are the normal forest-for-wood trees, at least in the UK.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

No problem Roujin.

lorazamath: some buoys actually do have flags, but my intention was to keep it kinda true to the game, while still making it new... its kinda WIP so lets see... Also sendt you a PM about that action 07 stuff ;) hope you dont mind...

Ben_K: Humm... I just looked at the wiki and saw that the buoy was unclaimed, so I tought 'good and easy job for a noob like me' :P Didnt mean to step on anyones toes!

RichK67: Well, I dont know what kinda forests you have, but up here we usually cut down the trees that are in the forest to be cleared... Some have leafs and some have needles (I'm not very much into the english names of the trees). The reddish one is quite clearly not in the forests up here eather (except maybe in fall) but I put it there to make it look good, and easy spotting... When trees are planted here, its mainly for one thing: chritsmas trees, so that makes it mainly one type of tree, kinda looking like the default forest in the game... I didnt like that originaly one, so thats mainly why I made this new one... Since there seem to be different wishes from people, I may make another one that doesnt look like this, but more true to real life (one type of tree or atleast only greens...) I also tought this forest wasnt for woods, but for goods... Available furniture (in rl) is made of a whole lot of different woods ;)

oh, sorry for writing so much :P
Last edited by Trond on 08 Feb 2008 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

richk67 wrote:Sorry to be a bit of a dissenting voice, but the new forest has the wrong sort of trees. Ive never seen a commercial forest with those sorts of trees. Conifers (spruce, pine, etc.) are the normal forest-for-wood trees, at least in the UK.
WHere do they get oaken wood from then?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Mchl wrote:WHere do they get oaken wood from then?
Import mostly. We cut down most of our oaks to build ships with to conquer the world ;)

According to Forestry Commission official figures for 2006, the UK produced 8.5m tonnes of softwood/conifers, and only 439,000 tonnes of hardwood. So if our forest was representative, then in 20 tiles of forest, 1 would be hardwood (broadleaf trees).
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Probably import from us then :lol: so that should explain a lot... :wink:

Bertrand Russell

Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Hi Trond!
Trond wrote:Ben_K: Humm... I just looked at the wiki and saw that the buoy was unclaimed, so I tought 'good and easy job for a noob like me' :P Didnt mean to step on anyones toes!
Don't stress. You haven't trodden on any toes. I think Lepkka has allowed his water for the openGFX project and his new buoy was a really nice sprite, that's all. :) I was just thinking on the lines that if he has one already related to his water, then your efforts, which are very good, could be used elsewhere :D
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

thats a buoy i made from scratch for my grf
the top is in flashing red
you can use it if you want
Attachments
newbuoy.png
newbuoy.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 7000 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Guys, you're awesome!!

I have not the faintest idea how you make them, but it always a pleasure just to browse this graphics thread, and admire your beautiful creations!!

Albert
YukonRob
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by YukonRob »

Re:trees - Don't forget the colonies, this game is not ALL about the UK ;)
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

richk67 wrote:Jetfoil: 167 to 400 passengers. Good enough?

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboJET lots of passenger versions
http://www.ahv.lynden.com/ahv/lacv-30.html 30 tonnes of cargo
Yes? And do those climb up on rivers? I don't think so. You'd need a pretty deep river and a pretty wide one, too, which is kind of uncommon.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

If you'd bothered to read all my responses on this topic, rather than picking on this one post out of context, you will have noticed I said:
RichK67 wrote:Jetfoils .... Hovercraft .... However, that said, you wouldnt find either trying to tackle going up rapids.
Firework Photography
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Lepkka: Thanks a LOT for letting me use your graphics! Here's the first release using it; I think it looks good!

When I have a few minutes free later today or tomorow I will update it with a new ID and release this and my own buoy as two seperate grf's with different ID's so people can choose wich one to use...

Gotta say it again tough: very nice buoy lepkka!!
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newBuoy_v0.17.grf
(349 Bytes) Downloaded 1196 times
buoy3.png
buoy3.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 6528 times

Bertrand Russell

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

An updated version of the forest industry, now only appearing in temperate climate :P Thanx lordazamath for thinking about that and letting me know how to do it :)

New filename, same look ingame...
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_Temperate_-_Forest_v0.18.grf
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times

Bertrand Russell

jetthe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jetthe »

First of all: Nice work everyone!

I tried the newInfrastructure grf (0.3, http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=658152#p658152) and noticed that something about the diagonal rails seemed a bit off. I experimented and to me it looks better if it isn't as bright, see attachment for comparision. (New colours from 'ottd-colour-palette.gif'.)

Well, not a big deal really, just something I noticed. :)
Attachments
Darker diagonal rails
Darker diagonal rails
darker_diags.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 6022 times

Return to “Graphics Development”