Nintendo DS port (Alpha 6)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Nintendo DS port

Post by AntBUK »

All hail Dominic :D

I shall delve once more into NewGRFs and see what I can't do for you seeing as DaleStan reckons its one of the easiest thing to do :D
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Dominik81? Do you know that you have made one of the greatest port the nintendo ds scene ever seen? :D
It's the best for years, even if it still is in early alpha stage!!!

And do you know how to make a grf file? Are there some kind of program to use?

Thanks for all your HARD work :D :D :D
One of my biggest handheld dreams, is a port of LaserTank to the Nintendo DS, since it is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time!!!
Over 16000 levels to solve!!!!!
woodbin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by woodbin »

There aren't any words that can say how great this port is!!!! I wanted to see this on DS from long time ago!! Only things i miss at the moment are better buttons, scrolling window in main menu and see whole board with money and date :) Thx a lot for this!
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Bastar: A PCX viewer/editor/converter, a plain text editor, GRFCodec, TTDPatch NewGRF Wiki and a lot of patience/spare time ;)

Edit: Found GRFCodec Link
Last edited by AntBUK on 21 Jan 2008 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Thanks for all the great positive feedback! :)

About the memory expansion: My plan is to support it in the future. But OpenTTD will remain playable without a memory expansion. With such a card however, bigger maps will be playable and scrolling will become smoother.

Concerning the grf: It shouldn't be hard to make, but I'm busy coding most of the time. ;) What I would need right now is all the icons from the status bar that I posted and cropped versions of the little climate images from the title screen.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

All I was planning so far is just to replace the current toolbar icons using the sample you provided a couple of pages ago. I don't know about the Switch Screens buttons as I don't know which (if any) button you'll be removing or if it wants adding (which will no doubt give me and #openttd a bit of a headache ;) ).

XoIN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by XoIN »

I'm now trying to create a grf file now :roll:
BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Thanks AntBUK for the info and links about GRF files :) I'll see what I can do! :)
Maybe XoIN will success if I fail! :)

And Dominik81? I just wonder if you know how much slower a memory expansion card (like the EZ-flash 3-1) is compared to the internal ram in the DS? Is it huge? :shock:
One of my biggest handheld dreams, is a port of LaserTank to the Nintendo DS, since it is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time!!!
XoIN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by XoIN »

Need to work this evening , so i only have time tomorrow :(.

BTW: This is a great version dint crash a single time :D
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Three of us going for the GRF, this should be fun :D

IIRC the QuakeDS project clocked the external RAM at 4 times slower then the internal RAM.

Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

AntBUK wrote:Three of us going for the GRF, this should be fun :D

IIRC the QuakeDS project clocked the external RAM at 4 times slower then the internal RAM.
Do you remember if this was at stock timings? Because it's possible to overclock them, at least the 3in1.
Creator of the longest Locomotion station ever.
Sh*t does NOT just happen, sh*t takes time and effort.
Yay, that's me in my avatar! I win!
Keep violence virtual!
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

QuakeDS ExRAM Page wrote:There are two special options available to you when using the EXRAM build. These are accessible by holding down the right shoulder button during the "FAT init" step of the QuakeDS startup.
Once you've done this, you'll be able to force detection of a certain type of RAM card (this can be useful for the NDS RAM Pak) and more importantly you are able to overclock your slot-2 RAM.
This overclocking is very useful for improving the in-game performance (since slot-2 RAM is very slow normally). However, not all cards are made equal and cannot handle tighter timings. To more robustly find out if you RAM is capable of an overclock, please try memtestARM from http://www.pineight.com/ds/

To avoid disappointment, be aware that playing QuakeDS is not low on RAM when playing regular Quake, therefore adding memory will not help in the slighest. If you do however choose to use the EXRAM build, don't be surprised by a drop in framerate. Slot-2 RAM is roughly four times slower than the already-slow internal RAM in your DS. I have spent many months working to hide this problem and on cards such as the M3 and EZ 3-in-1 there is a mere 15% drop in average performance.
At a guess that's at stock.

As for the NewGRF, I'm currently trying to set the pallette right, I've got the OpenTTD one for GIMP somewhere, it should be on the forum somewhere, if not :D

BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Good work AntBUK, I hope you will succed!:)
I'm also trying to learn how those grf files work,
but I have just started!
Maybe I can give a helping hand in the near future!:)
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Ok, This is about the limit of my capabilities at the moment. You might want to add it to your openttd.cfg under NewGRF-static,
Example:

Code: Select all

[newgrf-static]
fat:\openttd\data\dstoolbar.grf
Saves having to add it in every time you load the game. You can also just put it under newgrf if you want it to display in the NewGRF window.

I've used all the icons I've been given except for the swap screens buttons as I don't know how to place them in a GRF file for later use. I also don't know how to replace the fast-forward button and the Tiki doesn't give much information about OpenTTD Buttons ;)

Edit: I should add that making it static seems to make it take a bit longer to load :)
Attachments
dstoolbar.grf
Place in the data directory of openttd on your CF/TF card.
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

BastarB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BastarB »

Good work AntBUK! :D I have not tried it yet, but I trust in your work :) !

About the alpha 4 release!
This night I slept with my DS on with the game playing and when I woke up...about 30 years later, I was a really rich guy :D
However, the important thing was that the game didn't froze during those hours!
I played on a 128*128 map and had about 30 vehicles of four differnet kinds and two trains!
But if when I tried to buy ships, the game just freezed! Not because of the buy action itself, but when a ship docked at a dock! Correct me if i'm wrong!

It's an excellent update! :)
Thanks again for your outstanding work dominik81 :D :D

And sorry for my crappy english!
XoIN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by XoIN »

Some icons are blinking :P

Quit game crashes the game, Exit game just freezes it(maybe turn into shutdown ds?).
GUI related though :P

When making a screen shot the game crashes and filled my upper-screen with a console(with red background and the toolbar on the bottom).
Giant screenshot works.
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

For ships you need to change:

[yapf]
ship_use_yapf = false
in openttd.cfg to true. works perfect.

As for the dstoolbar.grf, The icons are smaller but not repositioned so doesn't help much but nice work anyways.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

weaselboy246 wrote:For ships you need to change:

[yapf]
ship_use_yapf = false
in openttd.cfg to true. works perfect.
I thought yapf was removed completely from the port ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

hmm true, lol. wonder if it reverts to whatever everything else is using because all the vehicles are enabled on that in my config.
AlexFili
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlexFili »

+ Trains and Road Vehicles work fine now (YAY, PS. Loving the new bus stops).
+ Loving the new main menu interface, it's pretty cool.

- A bit of a problem with the 'new game' interface, it's not possible to add years onto the date, because the button is off the edge of the screen. (and strangely enough you can reach the year 0, but not a Roman in sight).
- No Music or Sound as yet. I'm guessing you might need to convert the music to NDS format somehow?

This release is much better then the last one. I'm really enjoying the gameplay.
Just a note, It might be good to bind the CTRL key to L, because quite a few functions use CTRL+ something, in OpenTTD on the pc.

Once again, excellent release. If this went out in shops, it would sell a fortune :D

Return to “OpenTTD Development”