Disable monorail and Maglev feature

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trainmaster611
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Disable monorail and Maglev feature

Post by trainmaster611 »

For the sake of realism, I think some people would appreciate disabling the monorail and the maglev considering how unrealistic they are and keeping running trains as a challenge. :))
K0NFUZIUS
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Disable monorail and Maglev feature

Post by K0NFUZIUS »

I agree for the monorail feature.
But the maglev feature isn't unrealistic.
http:\\www.transrapid.de
:-)
And it looks good with the DB Trainset...
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

The US Train Set only has normal and electric trains (no monorail/maglev), and is by far my favorite set. There are also a couple of others that disable monorail/maglev for all cargo except passengers/mail, which is pretty realistic.
trainmaster611
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by trainmaster611 »

Well in all honesty, monorails are totally impractical and they will continue to be for ages. Maglevs as of now are impractical but they have a chance of becoming practical. So for all intensive purposes, they're unrealistic. I know most people would prefer having them but I can imagine that quite a few would prefer that they not be there. That's why I am suggesting a toggling feature.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

trainmaster611 wrote:So for all intensive purposes,
:roll:
How hard can it be? That doesn't even make sense!

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

trainmaster611 wrote:That's why I am suggesting a toggling feature.
The toggle is already there. Just dont build any, or load a newgrf that doesnt have any, or create a new newgrf to disable all the maglev/monorail sets.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Yes.. No one orders you to build them. And those who will build them are luckyier than TTDP guys, who have to replace one or another, if they want electric rails.. SImlary you can load e.g narrow gauge grf.

:)madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

The monorail should be changed to some kind of city train that runs over the road.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Why don't you get on that, then?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

DaleStan wrote:Why don't you get on that, then?
Because I'm busy doing 32bpp graphics.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

trainmaster611 wrote:For the sake of realism, I think some people would appreciate disabling the monorail and the maglev considering how unrealistic they are and keeping running trains as a challenge. :))
What's the point in disabling a feature? No single one is urged to use any kind of transportation the game offers... Iguess there are zillions of people who like it - why deprive them of their fun when you are not limited whatsoever by it?

If you disagree with the effectiveness of the transportation types, then make newgrfs that reflect the respective effectiveness as you think it proper.
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

What's the point in disabling a feature?
There are plenty of reasons for (allowing) disabling (of) a given feature. This one, however, doesn't change game behavior, it simply adds features, which can be disabled just by not using it, so a toggle isn't needed :)
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Bad_Brett wrote:The monorail should be changed to some kind of city train that runs over the road.
We've got trams you know..

madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

I'm sorry to bring this up, but I agree with the starter of this topic and would like to know whether there's a way now to turn off monorail and maglev.

Simply "not using them" doesn't help the fact that your opponents will use them and there's the main reason to have a toggle button somewhere. Does anyone know of a way to disable them?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Use a NewGRF that disables/does not include them.
rexxars
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rexxars »

I also wanted this feature, so I've made two NewGRFs that does this: They're available to download ingame, and you can also see the source code should you want to. Note that this only disables from the default set - custom GRFs providing monorail/maglev will not be removed.
Espen Hovlandsdal
espen.codes | @rexxars
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

rexxars wrote: 08 Feb 2021 00:28 I also wanted this feature, so I've made two NewGRFs that does this: They're available to download ingame, and you can also see the source code should you want to. Note that this only disables from the default set - custom GRFs providing monorail/maglev will not be removed.
This is very handy. Thanks.
Anyway, I don't like playing in future. I would like to stop the time and technology ;)
Steam locomotives have some sort of charm. I hope you know what I mean.
If Chris Sawyer would never play a Railroad Tycoon from 1990/1993 then probably he would never have created Transport Tycoon.
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”