NewGRF: Oneway Roads UK

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

one billion daleks
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

NewGRF: Oneway Roads UK

Post by one billion daleks »

This GRF replaces the default green oneway arrows with white arrows.
These arrows are drawn to match the UK Roadset.
Attachments
UKoneway.grf
(746 Bytes) Downloaded 4033 times
UKoneway.jpg
UKoneway.jpg (16.28 KiB) Viewed 17923 times
Last edited by one billion daleks on 15 Jan 2008 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRF: Oneway Roads UK

Post by Zephyris »

Nice little grf, something i have wanted to do for some time! The perspective on the arrow does look slightly off though, anc could be a bit brighter...
one billion daleks
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Cheers Zephyris! :)

Yes, it was darned tricky trying to align the arrowhead with the centre-line!

There's only 3 pixels to play with when creating the point of the arrow, and I'm no graphic artist I'm afraid!
If I aligned the arrowhead correctly, then it ended up out-of-alignment with the 'stem' of the arrow.
Otherwise it ends up slightly above or slightly below the centre-line ... bugger!
You tend to see the same effect with those radioactive green blobs used by the game ;)

But if someone with superior graphics skills would like to volunteer at having go at improving on my attempt, I'm happy to post the PCX file.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Yes the angle is wrong...
On the other hand.. nice grf.. (You still don't use png's for screenies :P)
Attachments
ega.png
ega.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 17969 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
one billion daleks
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Yes you're right lordazamath, the angle could be better ... but I was working with an area of about 6x8 pixels - if I changed the angle the whole arrow got narrower and longer and just stopped looking like an arrow.
Hey, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;) ;) ;)

And I did create a PNG image, but it was 27kb - so the JPG was actually smaller for a change! :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

even if the file size is larger png is better for reviewing gfx.
Attachments
isometric arrow.PNG
isometric arrow.PNG (190 Bytes) Viewed 17941 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

.. and file size isn't larger.. I guess you used some funky program :P.. This is w/o compressing made with GIMP.. A png screenshot..
But I agree, you should add more contrast if you want it to be used on other road types too..
Attachments
ohoo.png
ohoo.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 17946 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

one billion daleks wrote:And I did create a PNG image, but it was 27kb - so the JPG was actually smaller for a change! :)
Try saving to png-8 with indexed colours, instead of the unindexed png-24 (which I think you're using).
one billion daleks
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Yes lordazamath, I am using a cruddy freeware download that apparently inflates PNG files!

Thanks for that isometric arrow Zephyris ... that's just a simple inverted pyramid with a stem sticking out of it. So you'd think that would be pretty easy to duplicate, but when I create one (with a 5-pixel base), once it's scaled down it just looks askew! This is the same problem I had with my arrows ... I expect it's dead easy to fix if you know how, but I'm totally ignorant on this graphic design stuff!

EDIT: OK, I think I just figured it out ... fingers crossed!
Last edited by one billion daleks on 15 Jan 2008 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Thats better, but please use pngs, its so much easier to see whats going on, even if the file size is larger...
one billion daleks
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

OK, thanks for that isometric arrow Zephyris ... I've now implemented that one in the GRF on post #1.
I think the grayscales may need a bit of work, but the basic idea looks better with that arrow :)

Yes, I will use PNGs when I've found a compact freeware graphics program that handles them ... I will also have to find a new screengrabber, as I currently use ScreenHunter, and that only creates JPGs or BMPs unfortunately.

Thank Q!
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

You can use Gimp for example.. Irfanview can convert between bmp and png.. And I don't know of older paints, are they capable of making pngs but the one what came vith vista, can do it..
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I reccomend paint.net (with a pcx plugin) or ms paint...
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

one billion daleks wrote:I will also have to find a new screengrabber, as I currently use ScreenHunter, and that only creates JPGs or BMPs unfortunately.
Try pressing ctrl-S in OpenTTD :)
one billion daleks
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Thanks for that tip glx :) ... it's great to see developers provide helpful advice using a High-Level Language like plain English!

Though actually, I am already familiar with Ctrl-S ... what I was looking for was a utility that would let me grab just the relevent portion of the screenshot, like the JPG grab in post #1.

I've since discovered some freeware called EasyCapture, which creates PNG grabs ... plus it provides tools to add cursors, arrows and, transparent speech-bubbles to your grabs too! So I shall be having some fun with that in due course ;)

Cheers though! :)
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

You can crop the ctrl-s screenshot with any image editor. You can also add arrows, or anything with the editor.

Return to “Graphics Development”