Nintendo DS port (Alpha 6)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Nintendo DS port

Post by AntBUK »

You used a program, mines done by hand :P.

Fair enough yours looks better, except for the top screen :D

Nothing more annoying then this though... And it's slightly annoying when loading Moonshell :D

(sorry about the image quality, crap camera on my phone :) )
Attachments
Its a directory... It shouldn't have cheats ! :D
Its a directory... It shouldn't have cheats ! :D
directory cheats.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 10689 times
Cheats, no cheats and more cheats
Cheats, no cheats and more cheats
two cheats.jpg (7.32 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

You still use usrcheat.dat?
You know you can put all your own cheats in the cheat.dat from the R4 team.. don't you? :p

And I created my program, so that's better than drawing by hand :p

Also, I do like my top screen images better.

edit: version without the "no cheats" button http://www.ndsthemes.com/themes/details/559dbe7450
Last edited by elf_sander on 11 Jan 2008 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

I prefer to keep my cheats separate :)

I was looking for ages on NDSThemes for an openttd theme :D That's why I made my own in the first place :)

Wh1sp3r
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wh1sp3r »

Really nice work you did there! I can't wait to see this on my DS at home :D

I don't know how you implemented scrolling, but here's my take on it :
Holding left tab activates scrolling mode.
While in scrolling mode, directional pad scrolls top screen and touching the bottom screen will scroll it.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Here it is, the very first sneak peak at my Nintendo DS port. While it looks pretty much the same as the last screenshots I posted, a lot has changed internally and it is running much smoother now. Through the elimination of the wasteful _chatmessage_backup (a 440KB global variabl :shock:) it is now possible to load bigger maps, up to 128x256.

Other notable changes are:
- based on r11844
- maps up to 256x128 running (but saving only works for 64x64 right now)
- saving and loading works
- in openttd.cfg you can define a path where your data resides
- loading time greatly reduced from 45 seconds to 15 seconds
- rewritten the blitter to free 96KB of main RAM

Some serious bugs still remain:
- pathfinder crashes
- open road station gui, then click on road depot icon -> crash
- station gui crashes / not displayed correctly

To get it running you probably need to DLDI patch it. I have a R4DS card which takes care of patching by itself. Please report any bugs / hardware issues here.
Attachments
openttd-ds-alpha3.tar.bz2
ROM image and source
(updated cfg file)
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 467 times
Last edited by dominik81 on 15 Jan 2008 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

dominik81 wrote:- maps up to 256x128 running (but saving only works for 64x64 right now)
Saving works by creating copy of the map (thus requiring twice the memory) and then compressing/saving it on background. If you alter the behavior to pause and then create the save from the local copy, saving might work for larger sizes too.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

Wow.. this is awesome..

I have a big bug to report, the game crahses when you have a window with a second view open (like the train/road vehicle/etc window) or when you try to do multiple things at the same time (build a track and a train depot for example)
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

This is so awesome! I was actually thinking about trying this myself, I'm a student in software engineering, and have made a few test apps for the DS, so if you want a hand with this, just let me know :)) (But I understand if you want to do it yourself, too :] )

At the very least I'll be as active as possible in reporting bugs!
Creator of the longest Locomotion station ever.
Sh*t does NOT just happen, sh*t takes time and effort.
Yay, that's me in my avatar! I win!
Keep violence virtual!
elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

Stylpe wrote:I'm a student in software engineering, and have made a few test apps for the DS, so if you want a hand with this, just let me know :)) (But I understand if you want to do it yourself, too :] )
Same here, only my best DS creation was "Hello World! From Sander" I will at least test every version with a huge bughunt.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

I'd better stick my DS on charge, woohoo! :D

I killed YAPF in an attempt to avoid the path finder bug :D

fryfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fryfrog »

I just wanted to reply and say thanks a lot. I was (am?) a big fan of TTD and I had no idea there was an OpenTTD. Now to also find a TTD for the DS being worked on... well, I am impressed.

I have one little bits of feedback:

1) your readme seems to imply that the .cfg should be pre-ready for everything being in /openttd/ folder, but really it points to like /gamedata/openttd/ instead. It took me a few tries to fix this.

2) the icons are all squished, makes meh cry! (I'm sure you know this) :)

3) uh, nothing else... these things are just better in 3s. really looking forward to future versions of this... could you maybe come up with your own little page or something, so I don't have to keep finding a forum topic? :)
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Thanks for all the feedback. It would be great if you could also write what card you are using.
Stylpe wrote:This is so awesome! I was actually thinking about trying this myself, I'm a student in software engineering, and have made a few test apps for the DS, so if you want a hand with this, just let me know :))
I supplied a diff to the repository and appreciate it any patches, bug fixes are most welcome.
elf_sander wrote:I have a big bug to report, the game crahses when you have a window with a second view open (like the train/road vehicle/etc window) or when you try to do multiple things at the same time (build a track and a train depot for example)
Hmm, I'm not sure those are the same bugs I know. You mean it even crashes for you when there's only one vehicle window open?

fryfrog wrote:1) your readme seems to imply that the .cfg should be pre-ready for everything being in /openttd/ folder, but really it points to like /gamedata/openttd/ instead. It took me a few tries to fix this.
Thanks, I didn't notice, it's fixed now. I use /gamedata/openttd myself but thought that I changed it for the release.
fryfrog wrote:2) the icons are all squished, makes meh cry! (I'm sure you know this) :)
No, I didn't. Ididn't know you cried over it. :mrgreen:
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Ok, Using R4DS (firmware 1.15) and the train I made doesn't want to arrive at the station. It works fine in the Jan 14th nightly.

NPF doesn't make any difference and re-enabling YAPF comes back with...

Code: Select all

2A4 sprite> Compacting sprite cache, inuse=286312 terminate called after throwing an instance of
'std::bad_alloc' what():  St9bad_alloc
Save attached.

Also, is the random seed meant to be locked at 1337? :D

Really need a keyboard interface as well.
Attachments
Pentfingbridge Transport, 24th Feb 1950.sav
OpenTTD Touched save game.
(11.3 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

elf_sander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elf_sander »

dominik81 wrote:
elf_sander wrote:I have a big bug to report, the game crahses when you have a window with a second view open (like the train/road vehicle/etc window) or when you try to do multiple things at the same time (build a track and a train depot for example)
Hmm, I'm not sure those are the same bugs I know. You mean it even crashes for you when there's only one vehicle window open?
When I tried to do the same without any vehicle windows open, it still crashed.. So it's the path-finding bug.
AlexFili
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlexFili »

I'm glad someone took the time to try a DS version. I wanted to see one ever since the PSP got a version.
I tested on my R4DS. Took a while to get it working, and it crashed when I tried to connect the coal route, apart from that... Good work!

I cant wait to try out the next version. Adding a random variable should be your next task.
All you need to do is ask the player to press Start, and generate a random number based on the time that they waited before they pressed Start. I did the same with my Homebrew game.
skabaas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skabaas »

With a few modifications to the .cfg file I got it to work on a DS-Xtreme card. The only problem is, after about 30 seconds everything freezes and nothing will respond again... Which, of course, makes it rather useless.

But, I have to say: great effort! Keep up the good work! I'll keep testing on my DS-Xtreme Card.
fryfrog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fryfrog »

I tested it on my new CycloDS, which is the black version having their hw 1.1 or something. The auto-patching DLDI worked fine, my only problem (as mentioned above) was having to fix the .cfg file, no big deal.
cardinal808
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cardinal808 »

I've tried it yesterday, but it gives an error. "no available language packs (invalid versions?). I Used an R4... no clue what to do.

Im looking forward to this version. It's a Great idea. Good work
Slye_Fox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Slye_Fox »

I'm working on a few menus.

Should they be orginal sized, but condenced to fit on screen.
Or use the smaller icons like the tool bar?
Condenced.png
Condenced.png (16.05 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

cardinal808 wrote:I've tried it yesterday, but it gives an error. "no available language packs (invalid versions?). I Used an R4... no clue what to do.
It's because of a small oversight dominik81 made. He uses /gamedata/openttd on his card, and has his .cfg edited for that, and he forgot to edit it back before releasing it. He reuploaded it with this fix so you can now put the openttd-folder on the root of your card like the readme says.
Creator of the longest Locomotion station ever.
Sh*t does NOT just happen, sh*t takes time and effort.
Yay, that's me in my avatar! I win!
Keep violence virtual!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”