OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by athanasios »

A respected forums artist is always welcome. :D
1. Not keeping to the standard sizes is not a problem. We do not just try to imitate original, but to make it even better! :mrgreen: Oops those are big words. At least, if we see something needs adjustements and we can manage it, we do it.
2. As an older member, you may also know better of already existing sprites and the artist who made them. (Please see my previous post.)

Only one thing: We should be careful not to use parts of original TTD artwork.

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

there will be (atleast from my part) an extened (train)set with liveryoverride for pax trains, and most likely will that set rename the trains to their original names as well, so when we are at it woulndt it be a problem with different introdates, but dont quote me on it.

What could be cool is if some some stats could change over time as well, I.E, the TGV's started at 240km/h, but now go at 300, and they (afaik) have two updates, one to 270 and one to 300... and the same goes for the eurostar...
Member of the
ImageImage
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Something old: Yes. You were right about rail fences.
Something new: I have a question for you. how would you like to see selectors: fulfilled or not.
So far I've got that:
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (92.3 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
OpenGFX_-_newSelectors_v0.1.grf
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I personally prefer the outlines only.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Outlines only.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
Xorppa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xorppa »

Maybe they could be a bit lighter, like just a grid, this might be a bit to bold!
Try fading what is now white
Loop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loop »

skidd13 wrote:To add a few of my thought to this context.
At first I like the idea to have open graphics and the project is processing nicely. *Thumbs up*

To give some input from my side. I thought over some cursors a while ago. Here is a fresh new concept which orientates at the original design but it still different.
cursor.png
The basic idea with this cursor is that you have to surround the pixel you want to click with the circle. As I dont want to loose the grey boxes of the cursors (As they generate a nice contrast) I adapted the design to the round cursor style.

That's what I like to see, sprites orientating at the original design, but still have their own values. ;)
Wow, skidd13, these are just great. Very innovative, but old-school looking at the same time.

Soeb - I think it's better with outlines only. But maybe a little bit thinner that the ones you showed us. Nontheless great job, I like them a lot.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Soeb wrote:Outlines only.
I dont think we need to be too worried about the selection edges looking too similar to the originals. I doubt anyone can claim that a 1 or 2 pixel white border around the edge of a frame is a copyright graphic design.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

richk67 wrote:I dont think we need to be too worried about the selection edges looking too similar to the originals. I doubt anyone can claim that a 1 or 2 pixel white border around the edge of a frame is a copyright graphic design.
Maybe not. But I'd like to remake it however.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

You can only use the two original colours for the selection grid, for the recolouring when land cant be altered...
Attachments
Selection grid colours.png
Selection grid colours.png (53.15 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Zephyris wrote:You can only use the two original colours for the selection grid, for the recolouring when land cant be altered...
I've used more and it works, so I don't see any problems.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, I've been doodling ideas, and I'm designing the locos to be slightly more "North American" I'd also recommend adjusting the intro dates on the locos. A tender would also be nice, as would additional steam locos, but that could be part of the "expanded" set 7of9's doing. I'll draw up some prelim images to show when I get home.

Also ideal would be having the Turbo only pull passenger and mail cars (With a Livery Override of course)
Can somebody refresh my memory, are the T.I.M and the Eurostar available in Tropic/Arctic? I can't remember
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

DanMacK wrote:... I'm designing the locos to be slightly more "North American" ...
For Arctic setting yes. For temperate - please no. The originals were British locos for a reason (ok hysterical raisins). If people want to load a newgrf of US locos, they still can.

In fact, I wonder why we are even looking at designing new loco graphics. We should really be asking Pikka or other great artists for permission to use their existing locos within an OTTD distribution. (Replacing the specific locos in the original sets, not overwriting the unliked (eg. monorail) with alternative choices.)

Incidentally, as part of my NewGRF_ports development, I have already created a "Load Mandatory NewGRF" function, so a vehicle set could stay coded in its original newgrf file, and it then gets force-loaded on New game or Load. (Yes, you can subsequently unload it.) I use this for a mandatory load of the basic airports. This would be ideal for tropical and arctic sets.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It would be great for any extended openGFX set - more climate specific road markings, drive on left/right road markings, variable snowline + snowline in temperate, "completely shore" coasts...

*edit* Where are the manditory loaded grfs seen? A separate "system grf" list may be a good idea...
Last edited by Zephyris on 14 Jan 2008 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

richk67 wrote:
DanMacK wrote:... I'm designing the locos to be slightly more "North American" ...
For Arctic setting yes. For temperate - please no. The originals were British locos for a reason (ok hysterical raisins). If people want to load a newgrf of US locos, they still can.
Well, I meant just for Tropic and Arctic, which were (sort of) based on NA prototypes anyway (it was kind of a strange combination of North American and African looking locos) The temperate locos would continu to be based on their original prototypes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear :D
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I've made thinner selectors. And I have question: how to replace sprites from openttdw.grf? Maybe sounds stupid, but I'm still learning how to code.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newSelectors_v0.2.grf
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times
Mundingworth Transport, 31st Jan 2000.png
Mundingworth Transport, 31st Jan 2000.png (28.64 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Soeb wrote: And I have question: how to replace sprites from openttdw.grf?
Action 05
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

FooBar wrote:Action 05
Thanks. Sorry for spamming but I can't see anything that will replace selectors.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

richk67 wrote:In fact, I wonder why we are even looking at designing new loco graphics. We should really be asking Pikka or other great artists for permission to use their existing locos within an OTTD distribution. (Replacing the specific locos in the original sets, not overwriting the unliked (eg. monorail) with alternative choices.)
Well, one thing the new graphics perhaps don't have going for them for new users is the fact they're generally a bit more "complicated" to play. The original vehicle sets are very easy to play, and while this may result in a few oddities like 400mph maglev trains carrying coal, or TGVs full of cattle, it doesn't overburden the user with being forced to use certain wagons, or having to refit things all the time, etc. Possibly worth considering.

Return to “Graphics Development”