OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dave

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by Dave »

Just popping in to comment on the wealth of talent in this thread, gentlemen! Keep up the great work!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

There have been 8bpp trees drawn at the dawn of the 32bpp project. The original seemed lost, but here is a backup. Although I do not know by whom they were drawn.
Attachments
andnowthetrees_106.png
andnowthetrees_106.png (22.29 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

prissi wrote:There have been 8bpp trees drawn at the dawn of the 32bpp project. The original seemed lost, but here is a backup. Although I do not know by whom they were drawn.
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Old_G ... #Landscape

Apparently by mdhowe and later reused by Red*Star
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Completely overlooked this; just found the old posting with no attachment. I just had this file, because I a also building (slowly) on a TTD-like simutrans pak, thus I though it may have been skipped your attention.

But you are really doing a great job to make OpenTTD really free software! And the slightly enhanced contrast of buildings and gounds goes well with the now most used LCD screens to give again the original look ...
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Dave Worley wrote:Just popping in to comment on the wealth of talent in this thread, gentlemen! Keep up the great work!
I probably speak for us all if I say 'thanks Dave'!

I might have found something what was wrong with me benches. It lacked shading! The screenshot below might be better. If not, I have no problem with trying out mph's benches. But before that, I'd like to do the Other Direction first.
Attachments
station-buildings3.png
station-buildings3.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

FooBar wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:Just popping in to comment on the wealth of talent in this thread, gentlemen! Keep up the great work!
I probably speak for us all if I say 'thanks Dave'!

I might have found something what was wrong with me benches. It lacked shading! The screenshot below might be better. If not, I have no problem with trying out mph's benches. But before that, I'd like to do the Other Direction first.
Isn't there something that can be done, so that separate stations when joined don't have 2 waiting station like that?
It just looks strange.. But it's just my opinion maybe to others it doesn't mind :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Digitalfox wrote:It just looks strange..
Yes, it does look strange. It's just how the game handles the graphics. I don't think this project changes that behaviour.

But the solution is just as simple: drag a station with two tracks and one square length over the two buildings and you get this:
Attachments
doublesingleplatform.png
doublesingleplatform.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

The trees so far look really great, good job!

I wanted to add an opinion about how arctic trees should be handled, though. I believe that there should be a lot more evergreens and such compared to decedious trees (trees with leaves), than there were in the original TTD. It would make the whole enviroment much more believable and beautiful imo.

Also, I think that trees above snow level should have more snow covering them than they did in the original. It feels weird if the ground is completely covered, but the trees only have a sprinkling on them. For example these trees (from a test grf I got from TTArtist somewhere) would look near perfect imo (though they would need another transition stage between snowy and not snowy).
Attachments
pretty.PNG
pretty.PNG (55.91 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

lordazamath wrote:
prissi wrote:There have been 8bpp trees drawn at the dawn of the 32bpp project. The original seemed lost, but here is a backup. Although I do not know by whom they were drawn.
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Old_G ... #Landscape

Apparently by mdhowe and later reused by Red*Star

Correct. But I've gotten no connection to mdhowe at that time - and since then I still never had. You can use my modifications, since mdhowe gave permission once, IIRC, I think you can use also his part of the work.

Regards,

Red*Star

edit: @FooBar: Wow, that's some nice station hall! Haven't noticed it initially, great work :)
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

i think those trees have TOO much snow.

maybe for arctic- lots of evergreen trees, with some snow on them, and for temperate a mixture, but the snowy versions have no or few leaves. It doesn't really make sense to have fully green deciduous trees above the snowline.

those trees seem are just so white- i think there needs to be a bit of colour.
previously known as daylight
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Red*Star wrote:@FooBar: Wow, that's some nice station hall! Haven't noticed it initially, great work :)
Thanks, Red*Star!

And because the Other Direction is done too, I'm going to give you all something to play with:
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newStations_v0.2.grf
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
station-railroad-finished.png
station-railroad-finished.png (31.24 KiB) Viewed 5623 times
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

mph wrote:those trees seem are just so white- i think there needs to be a bit of colour.
I do agree that they'd be better with a bit less snow, but I would still prefer these to the default ones. Some sort of middle-ground would be the best, imo.
YukonRob
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by YukonRob »

Good work everyone. Here is a photo I just snapped to give the tree artists an idea of how it actually looks. I'm not saying that it is how it should look though.
Cheers,
Rob
Attachments
yukontreeswithsnow.jpg
yukontreeswithsnow.jpg (191.92 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

Hmm, now when I see this picture, maybe the problem with the original trees was not so much lack of snow (though a part of it could be accounted to this) but too much warm tones. The evergreens (or whatever the hell you have there in America) in that picture look white and gray with some subtle tones of blue and green but the original ones were simply warm green tones covered with with snow.

Anyways, what do I know about graphics, I can't draw for a dime :P
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I really love that station! Looks so good in game, I look forward to the maglev and monorail!
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

I absolutely love this new station. Finally a reason not to use only grf stations.

The snowy trees are nice, maybe just a little less snow? Too white! I know it's probably more
realistic, but it's hard on the eyes. :)

All in all, incredible work, guys, thank you!
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

About the (not snowy) trees: Ben Robbins did create some rather nice trees recently for 32bpp, see the blender thread, maybe they can be converted to 8bpp.

Amazing how this thread progresses, I can't hardly keep up reading the posts, keep going guys, really nice work !
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Has anyone had any more thought about the GUI? More specifically the mouse cursor?

My thought was a plain cursor with an up to 20x20px icon floating next to it...
I was just having a little play and came up with this and quite like it. It feels less clumsy than the old cursor, and allows more flexibility in icon size without the clunky resize currently used. Greater transparent area prevents the risk of blocking like of sight, something the old rail laying cursors worked around awfully. Standard white cursor blends well with typical windows/linux/mac environments.
Attachments
newGUI.png
newGUI.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Roujin wrote:7of9: first of all, it looks very nice! :)

now some points of critique (constructive of course :P)

* in the diagonal view(s), the locomotive looks a bit different from what it looks like in the horizontal view. It looks a little bit too short in my eyes and also the seperation line between the first "part" and the second "part" is not curved like in the horizontal view.

* also in the diagonal view the windows of the pax wagons look a bit "bumpy" - maybe you can cheat a bit on that by using an antialiasing technique (inbetween colors)

FooBar: i am amazed - the roof looks great :)
only something on the benches disturbs me... i don't know what it is, maybe the color or something... really i can't express what it is but i think something can still be improved on these benches. maybe you have an idea yourself, or someone else here? (anyone else agree with me?)

thanx!

That is why I post the in-between-pics, becaust i want the consctructive critique. It is after all my 2nd sprite(set). After looked at the \ (and the / that is mainly a re-shadowed mirror) sprites a 2nd time with a few hours inbetween there is a diffrence that should be taken care of somehow. Either way, im dedicated to this(/theese) sprites to make it/them proper. I've played this game for <insert to many here> years, and i feel like I need and want to contribute to make somethings better, and when and/or if i can make this sprites proper, I can hopefully make more, and play the game with proper engines, livery overrides, and everythinge else! After all, I have always been a fan of the original trainset with the nice highspeed maglevs :)

To me it seems like the front window is somewhat off, and im not too sure if it is the _ view, or the / view(s) that should be delt with, but i will look into it tomorrow. Not it is 3am here, and i will watch an x-files episode before I (we (me and wife)) gets to sleep (season 4 episode 21 for thoose who cares). cheers ;)

I'll perfect them (more) tomorrow, it seems like I improve/create sprites best in the morning :)

cheers *takes one more beer*

-Thomas-
Member of the
ImageImage
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

prissi:
Those trees are nice. Only the red stage should have a bit of orange or yellow too.

FooBar:
Amazing 2 platform station. As usual 'times better than original'. But why should I compare? There is no comparison...
To my opinion benches and sign are too much. For a solution I suggest sign stays where it is and make only one bench front and back of sign. Sign some sort of cement wall and benches attached to it. (Maybe this is hard or impossible to draw.) Also the single station is so narrow it is out of place. I never understood why they put it there in original game. It looks ridiculous compared to double roof. I would go for an even simpler building. There aren't enough pixels to have separate roof from CC cover of the platform. I 'd join them and use CC somewhere else. Maybe as already stated by Digitalfox we have to change this behavior with some extra code later. And consider using the coloring you used in 2 platform station as now they don't fit.

Acerbus:
Not so white for trees, but much white for sure.

mph:
Nice trees. Just make sure they all look non-solid. Medium one in your first try looked as an ellipse. Leave empty pixels here and there.

Zephyris:
Tropic buildings so quickly? I am surprised with your speed. Please correct the wrong original scaling of buildings. That 3 floors one is like 4 floors in the building next to it. Need not imitate this stupidity of original graphics. (OK, we had a lot of discussion about scale of ships. There I think we should draw appropriate ships. A 100 passenger ship sprite need not look like Queen Mary. That's a solution for now. For town buildings the scale is easy to be fixed. We do not need to draw a 20 storey building. Original have few floors only.)
I don't like a small white cursor. I prefer original one. Floating icon is cool. Most games have their own style in cursors, why to use OS shaped cursor? When making the cursor for 32bpp and the Zzzzz I even made them bigger keeping in mind that people now use higher resolutions.

7of9
The train lacks proper shading. WE company color line is darker than NW-SE. Also NS looks very round like a tube. And I think that in general train should be bigger. Also, yes windows aren't alighned in a row. (Seems you replied while I was writing this.)

Ben_K
Good idea to do something on the floor. I will wait till road sprites are finished to do something fitting. Pesonally I like the original style (looks like racing lane), only the yellow-red borders should be lower since they don't fit with inside the city pavement. And maybe more dark yellow-red.

And as I promised the GRF for the toyland depot (hope I didn't make any mistake). NOTE: This is toyland palette. Do not mix with sprites of normal palette. (OK I don't know if it will have any effects. Zephyris why did you put Toyland sprites with other ones?)
Attachments
OpenGFX_ToRdDep.grf
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “Graphics Development”