Scenario Quest/Competition by #openttdcoop

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Scenario Quest/Competition by #openttdcoop

Post by osai »

Hello,
#openttdcoop created a new game mode: the Scenario Quest/Competition. Every month we will release a new, tricky and difficult scenario to play. You can take part at the competition, because we are searching for the cleverest solutions. The winner will be awarded and placed in the HoF.

Of course you can just download and play the scenario too. But if you get in touch, you might sign up for the competition.

Get more information + download of the game at: http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/osqc/
or read at the teasers:
http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/blog/2008/ ... c-is-here/
http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/blog/2007/ ... mpetition/

We are still searching for judges which feel able and have the time to analyse and judge the submitted games. Contact us via forum, irc, pm or email (ottdcoop@ppcis.org)

Enjoy the Game
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Scenario Quest/Competition by #openttdcoop

Post by Youri219 »

Looks like a nice challenge.

I do have a question about the cargoes. You have Pikka's industries, but no road vehicles or ships to support some of the new cargo (fuel oil and plastic). Is this intended?
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Youri219 wrote:Looks like a nice challenge.

I do have a question about the cargoes. You have Pikka's industries, but no road vehicles or ships to support some of the new cargo (fuel oil and plastic). Is this intended?
RVs and ships are not intended to be the main transport options. Cargo should go went through the bottleneck via train.
I updated the vehicle settings:
max_trains: 2500
max_rv: 250
max_airplanes: 10
max_ships: 10
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Looks nice, but are there any set rules? Like what openttd versions have to be used, whether I can change the settings (and which of them) or whether I can't, or if there are any other limitations ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

I've encountered another problem. Due to stockpiling you simply can't transport everything (except when building a new industry).

What to do with newly built industries, should those be served as well?

EDIT: I'll try the new version.
Wookie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wookie »

And what about terraforming? It says on the webpage that we should use the terrain.
OK, that's kind of challenge not to flatten all the land ;), but sometimes you have to change the terrain a little bit... how will you judge that?
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Bilbo wrote:Looks nice, but are there any set rules? Like what openttd versions have to be used, whether I can change the settings (and which of them) or whether I can't, or if there are any other limitations ...
I'll write down the Terms of Playing as soon as possible. The game limitations should be set within the patches, but there are only a few important like vehicle limits, some economy things, the breakdown handling and city layout, station spread and some others.
It is not permitted to change those settings if you want to take part at the competition.
It is not permitted to change the difficulty settings of the game.

Versions to use are 0.6-beta2 or the latest nightlies.
Youri219 wrote:I've encountered another problem. Due to stockpiling you simply can't transport everything (except when building a new industry).

What to do with newly built industries, should those be served as well?

EDIT: I'll try the new version.
If you really get in trouble you are allowed to build more industries close to the first one to increase the capacity. You could also try other systems like re-submitting.
Wookie wrote:And what about terraforming? It says on the webpage that we should use the terrain.
OK, that's kind of challenge not to flatten all the land ;), but sometimes you have to change the terrain a little bit... how will you judge that?
Its a challenge, if you terraform less you might become better rating of the judges, if you terraform more you might not. It is not 'not-permitted' and it is not minimal or low terraforming. Give the game the perfect look and feel, that's the most important fact.

This first osqc is really beta, I appreciate all your help and thoughts. I am working hard to get all the stuff besides the scenarios done, if you have great ideas for the a osqc you might contact me. I really planned to have this monthly. Enough time for all the busy persons too.

Osai
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Also, what I have not found, is information about ending year. Can I submit game with state from 2050? Or is there some time limit, like no 2000 or later games accepted? Or there is no limit, but the earlier you have your game, the higher score?

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

And another question (poor Osai ;-)), is it allowed to destroy the given roads, bridges and tunnels?
Wookie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wookie »

Good question, Timitry. I have already destroyed part of the road in the bigger city in order to build large railway station :D
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Timitry wrote:And another question (poor Osai ;-)), is it allowed to destroy the given roads, bridges and tunnels?
It is.
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

osai wrote:If you really get in trouble you are allowed to build more industries close to the first one to increase the capacity. You could also try other systems like re-submitting.
You can't. Pikka's industries requires them to be built near a town (except in the scenario editor). As a matter of fact, you can not even build the required factory due to these limitations. Do you mind if I cheat the factory in by loading a save game into the scenario editor?

Re-submitting will only result in a station with a huge stock (which gets lost anyway I think).
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

You can build the factory. I updated the instructions, the factory must be in the area of 'Mounty Py Village'.
Bilbo wrote:Also, what I have not found, is information about ending year. Can I submit game with state from 2050? Or is there some time limit, like no 2000 or later games accepted? Or there is no limit, but the earlier you have your game, the higher score?
I can't use criteria like that. It is very easy to manipulate the game-time via Editor. I.e. someone just turns back time 20 years and then starts the scenario. Facts like speed and money and all that stuff would be only interesting if we are not publishing the source and make the game only playable with a special build of osqc. But due to the license this is not possible.
Wookie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wookie »

And what about the extra Steel Mill? This can't be done... :/
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Are we maybe maybe allowed to activate the option "Allow drive-through station stops on town owned roads"?
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Wookie wrote:And what about the extra Steel Mill? This can't be done... :/
If you really need it, build the steel mill at least on the same side as the current steel mill. In fact near 'lasoscena' town
Timitry wrote:Are we maybe maybe allowed to activate the option "Allow drive-through station stops on town owned roads"?
Some people deleted all the roads etc. in the beginning to have an optimal game start. Means: You might turn it on. Anybody should care about this setting because its not a main task to have those stops.
Attachments
You can build the 2nd steel mill here
You can build the 2nd steel mill here
2ndsteelmill.png (268.15 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

osai wrote:You can build the factory. I updated the instructions, the factory must be in the area of 'Mounty Py Village'.
Bilbo wrote:Also, what I have not found, is information about ending year. Can I submit game with state from 2050? Or is there some time limit, like no 2000 or later games accepted? Or there is no limit, but the earlier you have your game, the higher score?
I can't use criteria like that. It is very easy to manipulate the game-time via Editor. I.e. someone just turns back time 20 years and then starts the scenario. Facts like speed and money and all that stuff would be only interesting if we are not publishing the source and make the game only playable with a special build of osqc. But due to the license this is not possible.
Technically, there could be many ways to cheat (changing settings, then playing, then change settings back before saving the "final" save), but some of these changes are detectable (Like if demolishing town-owned roads is forbiddent and in the final save, some roads originally owned by town are missing) and if they are not detectable, then it means you could have done that anyway, just perhaps in some harder way.
So people using any cheats either gets discovered or they won't help much themselves...

Also, the issue with time manipulation and such could be solved by requiring to play the scenario using multiplayer on one of your servers made up for that purpose (the server will make it sure no cheats of any kind are used), though it will be slightly less comfortable.

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

osai wrote:
Youri219 wrote:Looks like a nice challenge.

RVs and ships are not intended to be the main transport options. Cargo should go went through the bottleneck via train.
I updated the vehicle settings:
max_trains: 2500
max_rv: 250
max_airplanes: 10
max_ships: 10
Ahhhh! You killed my solution with this post! I've a couple of dozen ships running around, transporting the primaries from N to S, leaving the bottle neck for PAX and secondary...
ev.delen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ev.delen »

Pardon my ignorance, but what GRF's do I need.

I just did a fresh install of Beta 2 because I usually play with the stable version and don't have any GRF's.

Thanks,
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

ev.delen wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what GRF's do I need.

I just did a fresh install of Beta 2 because I usually play with the stable version and don't have any GRF's.

Thanks,
Just download the openttdcoop grf pack.

Return to “General OpenTTD”