OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by LordAzamath »

Roujin wrote:Maybe someone could write a patch sometime that draws grid lines over the tiles manually, instead of having the grid lines in the sprites. And then it would become an option to enable/disable the grid, much like in RCT. (if i recall correctly)

But that's all dreaming for the future ;) right now i agree with you to maintain the grid lines on your sprites, Zephyris. And they do look awesome, nice work! :)
Make a thread into suggestions topic ;)
Anyway to report my progress, I have succesfully replaced all farm tiles..and am working on others terrain sprites.
EDIT: I have done snow tiles with smooth transition too :)
EDIT2: I realised that we need fire and smoke too. But now I'm going to take a little rest. Not drawing.

Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Unfortunately I have the impression that the suggestions forum is just there to give the normal players the feeling that someone listens to their ideas - and not really a base for devs and patch devs to look for ideas.

Well i could post such a suggestion anyways, but I really doubt it would be seen inbetween the thousand posts with all the utopian ideas that are flooding the suggestions forum :roll:

edit: actually i think it might be seen more probably if someone with a name in Graphics development (e.g. you, lord) were posting such a suggestion.
(That is, if you were agreeing with me on this subject.)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Roujin wrote: edit: actually i think it might be seen more probably if someone with a name in Graphics development (e.g. you, lord) were posting such a suggestion.
(That is, if you were agreeing with me on this subject.)
Thanks for the compliment :D Roujin. I have never thought of myself as a name or something :)..But yes, I think that the idea is good, so I'll post a topic.
EDIT: after a little thought I realised we would need the default grass w/o borders too until this project is finito. So anyone going to contribute? :D...And Zephyris, am I right that if you're not enough annoyed then you can provide us the un-grid variants of your work too? (incase the patch is to be developed..)

Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

For the record, grid lines must stay, in my opinion. I think they do serve a purpose.
But may that not stop users to developp their own sets of tiles without them.
But as long as we are talking about officials to-be-included tile sets, they must have borders.
And do not think of a patch/diff/code that will toggle it on or off. No way. Beurk...
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

belugas wrote:And do not think of a patch/diff/code that will toggle it on or off. No way. Beurk...
Huh? Wouldn't that be the obvious solution?
#################
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

hmm...toggling is more liberty..more liberty means more democracy...I got kicked from #OpenTTD once because I thought democracy rules everywhere :D
in that case there won't be any meaning of this, when it won't be let anyway...so I continue on other tasks.

Lord
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can't disable the grid for people who use the original graphic files, as they do not have sprites without grid, and you cannot distribute modified sprites
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I would imagine there will have to be a patch/switch which allows selection of which base graphics set to use: ie. DefaultGFX vs OpenGFX.
Then there could be 2 versions of new graphics - the grid lined and non grid lined - which you could switch between using the base graphics selection...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And slightly spammily I present roads:
temperate
town
sub-arctic
sub-arctic snow
sub-tropical
sub-tropical desert

with fainter (45/255 1px black) borders...
32bpp, needs converting to 8bpp.

*edit* added demo of new 45/255 transparent 1px black borders (bottom) compared to the original graphics (top)
Attachments
Temperate Road Tiles 32bpp.png
(250.51 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
previewagain.png
previewagain.png (14.46 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

WOW just WOW!
Keep this up the sprites are just amazing!
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris wrote:And slightly spammily I present roads:
temperate
town
sub-arctic
sub-arctic snow
sub-tropical
sub-tropical desert

with fainter (45/255 1px black) borders...
32bpp, needs converting to 8bpp.

*edit* added demo of new 45/255 transparent 1px black borders (bottom) compared to the original graphics (top)
Zephyris, do you know what does that mean? That means tomorrow after school I'll do a majore work on your sprites and put them in.. Screenshots of them 8bpp in-game tomorrow...And please, Zephyris, keep up the good spam :D :D (no, it's not spam :) )
And I asked Ameecher, if he allows us to use his depots and foundations.

Lord
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Jupix wrote:
belugas wrote:And do not think of a patch/diff/code that will toggle it on or off. No way. Beurk...
Huh? Wouldn't that be the obvious solution?
Obvious? Yes. Correct? No.

1) it means that the grid ofption will have to be turned on by default, assuming the tile set will be gridless. It will mean that normal operations will be slowed down by the additional drawing processes required for that grid option. So not nice.

2) code wise, it means that we need the shape of each different tile been defined, as well as the color each border has. If you look closely to each of the tiles, you will see what i mean. THis means a big bunch of data ingame

3) All the above are just for no-zoom operations. Now, get max zoomed out and tell me how the tiles do look like... It means that OR we extrapolate the shape of the tile at this "altitude", OR there is a new set of definitiion for each zoom level. Not to mention that it will still add another slowing down process to the zooms, which are quite demanding.

4) im sure i've forgotten some more stuff on the matter

So HU???
yes sir... No Way!

The idea of the selectable tile set ingame is MUCH more appealing, believe me...
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

No. Not on/off grid lines. That will be a failure. The artist can provide a grid and gridless tileset. So you can choose ingame which set to use. With grids default. Gridless as a separate grf, but provided with game files. And this is not difficult.

Zephyris: Notice that original grid lines are more bright that yours on sun facing tiles and darker on other side. So you have to increase the contrast to fit with lightning of tiles. That is an easy task I believe.

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: lordazamath
Awesome, I look forward to it! It'll be good to see the problems with my gfx.

Re: athanasios
I had noticed that, I am hoping the way I have done my gridlines they will look more superimposed on top of the terrain - the current ones give a kind of cartoony outline to everything. When lordazamath has coded them I'll be able to see better how well this plan has worked.

So....
Toyland....
or Mars???
Many people hate the graphics - but many people also enjoy the climate...

I suggest a remake of the original graphics, but making them slightly more realistic, still keeping the major original features. For example the terrain should be checkered, but much lower contrast. Generally graphics should be desaturated slightly, and the smiley faces removed. I can imagine a more surrealistic landscape... What are peoples thoughts?
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Toyland: I agree 100%. Your ideas are exactly the same with mine. (Soften checkers, desaturate, remove silly faces and silly parts from structures. We could retain smilies for trains/buses only. Planes and ships are awefull.)

Now about the desert tiles I played a bit with your post:
1. desert proposal (8bpp).
2. comparison.
I think we should go even more yellow... but I am bored now.
Attachments
desert.png
desert.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
desert_compare.png
desert_compare.png (54.1 KiB) Viewed 7786 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Zephyris wrote: So....
Toyland....
or Mars???
Brickland. :P

@gridlines topic: well, good to have that sorted out. Thanks for explaining the drawbacks of this in detail, belugas. No reason for hard feelings though - it was merely an idea and now we all know why it won't happen. Topic done, next topic. ;)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

yellower and lighter?
Attachments
desert_compare_NEW.png
desert_compare_NEW.png (67.17 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Looks fantastic on that one bump, but when the pattern repeats along a hillside, the repeat will probably be too dominant.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

True, I think I will remake the desert and desert transition tiles...

Some work on rail so far, monorail and maglev also in progress.
Attachments
Temperate rail WIP.png
Temperate rail WIP.png (15.1 KiB) Viewed 7527 times

Return to “Graphics Development”