Dutch Trainset v2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Which DMU do you find better looking

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2013 11:59

DE-III (plan U): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_U
38%
DE-IV (Ram): http://www.stichtingtee.nl/nl/trein/geschiedenis
63%

Total votes: 24

The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset Development Thread / Alpha release pending

Post by The Irish »

I hate to spoil your fun, but I really don't think that they are properly aligned. They are at least 1 pix if not 2 too low, IMO.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, with properly alligned I mean the 'parts' of the train are perfectly fitting. GRFmaker's default xrel/yrel values are a bit off, so in the end I gotta move all sprites up a few pixels...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Purno wrote:For example, I still need to know what wagons were coupled behind what engines (Toni, made any progress on that schema yet?)
You know it's pretty damn difficult to decide which wagon goes behind which engine...

I have been thinking about this the last couple of days... Isn't it possible to use something like the scheme used in Mr. Bluncks' DB Set XL, where you have a choice of wagons you can place behind an engine? I'd say that would be the best option and would be a bit easier to code since you could just copy the code from the DB Set XL and adjust it to the Dutch Trainset... As long as Mr. Blunck gives his permission of course and if the coding in the DB Set XL isn't too difficult. (I've heard some storys about the advanced coding of it)

BTW, the trains are looking mighty spiffy over there! Great job!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You can't copy any code from other sets. ATM we have VehID 1B for passenger coaches, and 1A for double deck coaches. Of course we can add another VehID for coaches, like 1 for local traffic and 1 for intercity traffic, but then we still have to decide what coach to place behind what wagon, but then for 2 VehIDs. I don't think it's making it any simpler.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Lovely randoms... :mrgreen:
Attachments
Hardetrecht Transport, 2nd Mar 2010.png
Hardetrecht Transport, 2nd Mar 2010.png (16.52 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
Image Image
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Ah, ic ic... The DB Set XL has for the coaches different IDs... Are there some IDs left in this set? Maybe they'll be useful for the coaches...

Anyway, I'll try to take the vehicle IDs into account when making up this list.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Ah, ic ic... The DB Set XL has for the coaches different IDs... Are there some IDs left in this set? Maybe they'll be useful for the coaches...

Anyway, I'll try to take the vehicle IDs into account when making up this list. (oh boy...)

P.s. acutally, it now doesn't look so hard with the different ID's! It acutally makes it easier!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Toni Babelony wrote:Ah, ic ic... The DB Set XL has for the coaches different IDs... Are there some IDs left in this set? Maybe they'll be useful for the coaches...
Well, yeah. But we need a decent amount for cargo wagons, and it'd be nice if we could add some more MUs and engines in future (far future). I'd say 2 or 3 VehIDs for passenger coaches (single deck) is the absolute maximum.
Anyway, I'll try to take the vehicle IDs into account when making up this list.
You do realize that you'd have to make that list for every VehID coach? So far that's 1A for double deck coaches (though there only's only 1 double deck coach in-game, the DDAR, so all I have to know is wether the engine should be able to pull those or not), and VehID 1B.

As an addition, could you also make a list of what sprites to use for the passenger coach (1A) in the vehicle list? (for the passenger coach itself). Thanks in advance :)
Image Image
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Purno wrote:You do realize that you'd have to make that list for every VehID coach? So far that's 1A for double deck coaches (though there only's only 1 double deck coach in-game, the DDAR, so all I have to know is wether the engine should be able to pull those or not), and VehID 1B.

As an addition, could you also make a list of what sprites to use for the passenger coach (1A) in the vehicle list? (for the passenger coach itself). Thanks in advance :)
Don't mind the vehicle IDs changing! That's not my intend anymore.

I'll try to make up a list almost similar to the DB Set XL Readme: http://www.ewetel.net/~michael.blunck/t ... coachtable of course engines will be added! But I don't think tonight will work though.. I'm a bit busy and drunk atm ;)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The DB Set readme list does not include what I want.

I'd like an overview per engine, and then subdivided per coach livery.
Like the overview I showed before. An overview per coach is kinda useless (except for that one list, for the vehicle list of VehID 1B)

:))
Image Image
Hoontje
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hoontje »

Purno wrote:The DB Set readme list does not include what I want.

I'd like an overview per engine, and then subdivided per coach livery.
Like the overview I showed before. An overview per coach is kinda useless (except for that one list, for the vehicle list of VehID 1B)

:))

Can't NS customer service help you any further or the railway and locomotive museum (Utrecht?)? They are speciallised in this stuff!

I don't have an adress, but with google you'll be able to find one and other...

Greetz,

Hoontje 8)
Oh wauw! :bow:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Probably not, both are commercial companies, and there's no gain for them helping me, while it probably will cost quite some time to answer.
Image Image
Hoontje
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hoontje »

Purno wrote:Probably not, both are commercial companies, and there's no gain for them helping me, while it probably will cost quite some time to answer.
Yeah that's true... I'll see what I can do

Greetz,

Hoontje 8)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Purno wrote:Probably not, both are commercial companies, and there's no gain for them helping me, while it probably will cost quite some time to answer.
There are quite a lot of companies that take the time to give information to enthousiasts. Just try contacting them and see what'll happen, giving up before having tried is weak.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
BlueEagle_nl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by BlueEagle_nl »

Purno wrote:...
You do realize that you'd have to make that list for every VehID coach? So far that's 1A for double deck coaches (though there only's only 1 double deck coach in-game, the DDAR, so all I have to know is wether the engine should be able to pull those or not), and VehID 1B.
Only one? I thought the RegioRunner also uses double deck coaches...

Mostly, when I see a DDAR driving, it's being pulled (or pushed) by a 1600-series and a (how do you call those "stuurstandrijtuigen" in English) at the other end.

Also, GRFMaker 3.0.3B is bugging in Wine, when selecting real sprites. It keeps popping up an error mentioning no sprite is selected, while I have one (or more) sprite(s) selected.

As far as the NS concerned, if you guys want, I can see what kind of information I can get out of them :mrgreen:
Hoontje
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hoontje »

Paffy Duck wrote:

As far as the NS concerned, if you guys want, I can see what kind of information I can get out of them :mrgreen:
If you could do that please :D I gave it a try this morning, but they weren't convinced that I had all the best meanings... They began to brag about safety & regulations and stuff...
Maybe I call them later to day, but I really don't know who to go too for the right answers.
When I'm off duty, I'll search for the museumadress and go there to find the info.
Maybe than I'm also a bit usefull... :))

Greetz,

Hoontje 8)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Paffy Duck wrote:
Only one? I thought the RegioRunner also uses double deck coaches...

Mostly, when I see a DDAR driving, it's being pulled (or pushed) by a 1600-series and a (how do you call those "stuurstandrijtuigen" in English) at the other end.
True, but IRM coaches are only 'coupled' in IRM-consists. So whenever you add a DDAR coach to a IRM, it'll automagically turn into a IRM coach. Behand all other trains it'll stay a DDAR coach. (Need to figure out what to do with the DDAR stuurstand behind engines like the 1600.
Also, GRFMaker 3.0.3B is bugging in Wine, when selecting real sprites. It keeps popping up an error mentioning no sprite is selected, while I have one (or more) sprite(s) selected.
1. The sprites in the file needs to be divorced by at least 2 pixels horizontally.
2. Keep like 7 pixels distance vertically.
3. The sprites upperleft corner need to be equally alligned horizontally and vertically, per set of 8 sprites.
4. Always make sets of 8 sprites in the correct direction order (train directions N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW)
5. GRFMaker has problems with bitmaps with an odd amount of pixels, so always keep height and wide a multitude of 2 pixels.
6. Save the file as a true color bitmap (.BMP)
7. Use the GRFMaker sprite editor to Import the true color bitmap and save it as a bitmap in the correct TTD palette.
8. Then use it.
9. When it still gives an error it sometimes helps to move the location of the sprite sets in the bitmap (point 6) and save it again (repeat points 6 to 8 ).
I guess it could be worth a shot. Another possibility is the national model railway museum in Sneek. If you could 'obtain' some information, please do :))
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The finished trains so far;
Leeuwenbergen Transport, 10th Nov 2023.png
Leeuwenbergen Transport, 10th Nov 2023.png (26.81 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
EDIT: btw, of all the reserved/planned VehIDs, 43% is completely coded and fully functional.
Image Image
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Very nice! Can't wait to play with this :D

Only one remark: the trains don't seem to be sitting on the tracks correctly. Or maybe they are supposed to be monorail vehicles and therefore using only one of the two rails. :lol:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

PLEASE! I know the vehicles are a few pixels too low. I KNOW IT. It's been said tonnes of times before. Adjusting them will need A LOT of time, and to keep things clear I'll move them up once everything else has been done, so I know which sprites are already correctly alligned and which ones are not...

Sorry to shout now, but PLEASE don't mention the global allignment thingy for a while... let's blame GRFMaker's default xrel yrel values and my priorities to allign the vehicles correctly compared to each other above the global allignment.

EDIT: On a more positive note, I've asked my brother if he could make a little tool which reads in the decoded NFO file, and adjusts the xrel yrel and then saves it again. If anyone else is willing to code me such tool, please let me know, I'm sure my brother wouldn't mind if he doesn't need to do it anymore. :tongue:
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”