Refit default rvs to new cargos

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

Refit default rvs to new cargos

Post by PaulC »

One of the main problems I have in TTD is the inability to transport new cargo types using the default road vehicles. But no more! :) I've coded this grf primarily for use with PBI and NewCargo, but I've also made it generalised enough to (hopefully) work with other industry sets. I tried it with the Tourist Set, ECS Basic and the OCCS test grf, and it all seemed to work fine.

In addition, I have also made this grf compatibile with HOVS UK Bus Set, so that the busses can be refit to carry other passenger types (i.e. tourists) and the Model T goods van can be refit to just about anything.

I'm not sure how well it works with other rv sets (obviously you wouldn't want to use it with Long Vehicles), but hopefully it doesn't conflict with any tram sets.
Attachments
Gratuitous screenshot
Gratuitous screenshot
refit_rvs.png (24.81 KiB) Viewed 16310 times
refit_rvs.zip
Download grf
(590 Bytes) Downloaded 1636 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Refit default rvs to new cargos

Post by DanMacK »

Nice. I kept meaning to suggest something for this, just never got around to it... lol

Awesome work.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

A most commendable effort, i've been missing something like this for a long time! :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Good call mate. Another great .grf from you!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Stormcrow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stormcrow »

How difficult would it be to do the same thing to trains?

Sorry I'm a noob but I looked at the grf and apparently it contains no sprites. So I assume the grf only tells the game to add functions to existing elements right? Or does it overwrite the orders without overwriting the graphics?

So what would I need to do the same to the corresponding wagons for train/monorail/maglev? Simply the names/numbers of the wagons or would it be more straightforward to grab the sprites from the main grf, change the cargo, make a grf and voila?
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

Stormcrow wrote:How difficult would it be to do the same thing to trains?
There is a ECS wagon set already somewhere, which only modifies wagons. I think I got mine from the OTTDcoop grf set, but I'm not sure.
Stormcrow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stormcrow »

I have found the necessary grf HERE

Thanks a lot!
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

Of course I appreciate that owing to this extension, can be obtained new types of cargo, however it is not fully realistic and compatible with program ttdpatch. Below simple example - Truck to transport coal has the ability to refit transported load of coal on gravel, converts a name instead of the image charge. After the refit operation the car still have icon of the cargo of coal, instead of icon gravel. A similar situation occurs when trying to convert car to transport iron ore, the cargo named clay pit. It was nice to see an updated version extension "refit_rvs.zip"

Regards Joahnn
Attachments
Przykład.jpg
Przykład.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 11294 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

The set is strictly to allow the vehicles to carry added cargos. Doesn't look like graphics for the added cargoes were done. Maybe someone will add the necessary graphics eventually.
Johann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johann »

Besides could improve the compatibility this extension throughout expand the list of patch cooperating with them beyond the original graphics truck fleet game Tycoon and "HOVS UK Bus Set" For example also http://george.zernebok.net/newgrf/lv.html

Regards Johann
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

This was only meant to be a simple grf to make the default rvs playable with new cargos, I'm afraid new graphics were never on the agenda and it's not something I'm terribly interested in doing now -- sorry!

Nice to see people making use of it though. :D

Return to “Graphics Development”