Ship Sizes - What's the Max?

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ship Sizes - What's the Max?

Post by DanMacK »

I searched for this, and I know I've seen mention of it somewhere... I know ships have no collision detection whatsoever. That said, if it were possible to add that (I know it's on the to-do list), would it also be possible to possibly make the bounding boxes for ships bigger? Below is an illustration of Michael Blunck's Oil Tanker from NewShips and a larger tanker, more in scale that's half again as long. I was inspired after seein Zeak's larger ships for Locomotion and was wondering if more realistic ships would ever be possible in TTDP?
Attachments
Ships Comparison
Ships Comparison
CompareShip.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Ship Sizes - What's the Max?

Post by PikkaBird »

MBs passenger liner is about as large as we can currently get without clipping. Of course, if someone were to do something with the sprite sorter, larger ships would be possible.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

PikkaBird wrote:MBs passenger liner is about as large as we can currently get without clipping.
There are still some clipping issues in certain circumstances with the larger ships.

However, according to discussions with Josef and Marcin from five years ago, it´d be rather unlikely that something could be done to the whole ship part of TTD´s engine (e.g., addition of collision detection). And even if we could enlarge their 3D-boxes, such large ships would look considerably ugly when changing direction or when operating near the coast. This would introduce even more "glitches", similar to George´s LVs. 8)

regards
Michael
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

It depends what is your personal preference.
I like longer ships. The disturbing issue for me is the clipping. If this can be solved I don't mind so much about the other glitches. I use Georges' LVs even though they have glitches. Even with current length, cargo and tankers overlap the land.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

athanasios wrote:Even with current length, cargo and tankers overlap the land.
Yes, true. But make them twice as long and you´ll discover the real meaning of "ugly". :mrgreen:

In fact, even the original ships are too long with regards to their movement scheme. Remember, one of the basic problems in TTD is that there´s no consistent scale, neither spacial nor temporal.

regards
Michael
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

michael blunck wrote:... make them twice as long and you´ll discover the real meaning of "ugly". :mrgreen:
I have already done, some years ago!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, that's why I was thinking if the collision detection could be improved we could avoid the clipping errors on coasts. Just random ramblings. If we could have ships 50% larger than they are now that would give the game a much better sense of proportion.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

DanMack wrote:Well, that's why I was thinking if the collision detection could be improved we could avoid the clipping errors on coasts.
AFAIK there´s no "collision detection" for ships at all. That´s why we can´t have proper berthing, for example.

collision detection != viewport clipping

regard
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:AFAIK there´s no "collision detection" for ships at all. That´s why we can´t have proper berthing, for example.
Could this be patched in as are so many other features of the patch?
collision detection != viewport clipping
But wouldn't collision detection help to prevent the viewport from encountering a situation where it would be clipped?

Return to “Suggestions”