[32bpp] Temperate climate grass set: Release !

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

[32bpp] Temperate climate grass set: Release !

Post by GeekToo »

This subject started in the blender thread, with a request from Ben Robbins. He asked me to do some resizing of the wonderful 256px grass tiles he created. At that time I thought it would be an easy job, but was not satisfied with the result after resizing in Gimp. So I learned to use Blender and created a set for use on 64 px tiles.
After posting some screenshots, and feedback from the forum members, and after removing the worst tileability effects I think it is time to do the next step:

Test it in the game !

Because in my opinion that is the best way to see how it looks. So nothing is final yet, any feedback is still appreciated. When the 256px tiles full zoom is implemented, we'll have to see how they combine with Ben's set.

I have created a set of 19 32bpp grass tiles for use in the temperate climate.
They are already PNGCODEC'd

UPDATE:
Because the tarloader is now present in trunk, installation is different from version 1 !
This make installation even easier :D
-If you've used version 1 of the grass set, remove sprites 3981.png..3999.png from the directory bin/data/sprites/trg1r. Because the untarred png have higher priority over the tar loader, if you don't do this, you'll see no difference with the previous set.
-Check if you have tar files that are not intended for the newest tarloader in the data directory or it's subdirectories. On Linux, from the data directory: find . -name '*.tar' , on Windows do a file search. If the tarloader encounters tar files in the wrong format, it'll give an assertion, so move tars not meant for the new tarloader outside the data directory
-Check if you have a nightly build >=11119, otherwise the new tar loader is not present.

So far the preliminary actions, now for the installation:

copy the grass2.tar file into the bin/data directory.
That's it! Ready.

start openttd as usual with a 32 bpp blitter ( you'll need a nightly build, you can start a 32 blitter with the -b option on the command line (check present blitters with openttd --help ) or specifying it in the config file: blitter = xxx )

If you have the new terrain grf (8bpp) active, I guess you'll have to disable it.

Have fun and let me know what you think.

edit: trees in screenshot are SAC's stolen trees, some road tiles are 32 bpp tiles of Ben Robbins
Attachments
screenshot#21.png
screenshot#21.png (368.81 KiB) Viewed 16178 times
grass2.tar
(100 KiB) Downloaded 12019 times
Last edited by GeekToo on 25 Sep 2007 20:04, edited 3 times in total.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [32bpp] Temperate climate grass test set

Post by XeryusTC »

There's something wrong with some of your roads.

I'm also missing a grid :(.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

I've given it a quick 20 min test and found nothing wrong with it. I dont know what that road bug is in the image of the first post, but I assume its exclusive to your computer, GeekToo?

I dont terribly miss the grid personally, my bad taste perhaps :wink:

If I get time I'll test this a little more thoroughly. And thanks for the time and effort, I really like this!
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

In the screenshot, some of the slopes look a bit blurry / dirty to me. I've circled what I mean in the attached pic.

Edit: Another thing I noticed, the pattern circled in blurry2.png doesn't fit the pattern of the neighboring tiles...
Attachments
blurry.png
blurry.png (94.54 KiB) Viewed 15975 times
blurry2.png
blurry2.png (370.03 KiB) Viewed 15977 times
#################
Psistorm
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Psistorm »

Im having some issues with making this work, unfortunately:

I created the folder that was mentioned in my data directory (so inside data there is now /sprites/trg1r/ ) and copied the .png files into that folder. yet when I load up a game or start a new one, the sprites are unchanged. Im runing ChrisIN, so it should work since that build is based upon the OTTD nightlies. I believe it is because I didnt start with a blitter, but I have read the 32bpp information .txt, and various other sources such as the wiki, and I couldnt find any information on how to set which blitter is used.

any help is of course appreciated, since I really want to test this replacement :)
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

You need to specify the blitter: "openttd -b 32bpp-simple" or "openttd -b 32bpp-anim"
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Jupix is right. Some ugly spots and lines still remain. Lines are everywhere so not bother about them. The bright spots are the problem.

Also I noticed a glitch (white and sometines red dots) from the terraforming ball pointer. Is this known code problem or is itgenerated from the specific sprites as their dimensions are not the same with original terrain sprites?

Nevertheless I love these sprites because grass has height (not flat).

What really looks annoying are the rough terrain and rock sprites, since they display grids. I suppose those will be the next sprites to deal with. :]
Attachments
terraforming_glitches.png
terraforming_glitches.png (159.96 KiB) Viewed 15766 times
ugly spots_lines & fix.png
ugly spots_lines & fix.png (131.62 KiB) Viewed 15703 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Great! :) Actually they fit so nicely that i drifted off playing and forgot i was testing your ground tiles :lol: that's proof that it fits nicely and doesn't disturb the eyes. :)

One thing i noticed is that hills sometimes are harder to find, but i guess this is a drawback from not having a grid... so nevermind, it's awesome 8)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

I have to say, I've not noticed any of the above problems, I think the majority of people wouldn't notice anything wrong unless they were looking hard for it/had experience in that sort of thing.

(and since these forums are rampant with lingual over-analysers) I don't mean I'm against you touching up what you've done, I'm just saying I didn't notice anything bad :wink:
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Thanks for the feedback and the nice comments, updates will follow soon

athanasios wrote: What really looks annoying are the rough terrain and rock sprites, since they display grids. I suppose those will be the next sprites to deal with. :]

Athanasios, you should start a career as mindreader: the rock tile are the next thing I'll be modelling. I did start some fingerpractices last weekend, don't expect them to be finished soon. Just to show what I'm busy with.
Attachments
rocks1.png
rocks1.png (20.57 KiB) Viewed 14936 times
Indraunt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Indraunt »

glx wrote:You need to specify the blitter: "openttd -b 32bpp-simple" or "openttd -b 32bpp-anim"
Does anyone know how this would be done under OS X??
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

Since r11092, you can use blitter=<blitter name> in openttd.cfg
Indraunt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Indraunt »

there's no mention of blitter in the cfg file, can i just shove it in anywhere?
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

i put

Code: Select all

blitter = 32bpp-optimized
at the end of the [misc] section, and it works.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Indraunt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Indraunt »

Game won't load when I try that... Just freezes or crashes.

When I try to start the game I get the logo in messed-up colours witha grey background, the music starts, then the game freezes or crashes depending on which blitter I specify. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a file? Is there some kind of incompatibility with OS X?

I'll keep playing around.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

hmm. I think I found a bug of this graphic. Maybe someone else has already found that, but I'll post anyway.
And this happens with every bridge head of that direction
Attachments
no:comments
no:comments
bugger.png (47.46 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Lord,
Nobody has posted that bug yet, but I did see it myself in athanios' post. It happens because the grass tiles are a little higher than the original ones, to get that 'grassy' look when moving the white square over it.
I will see if I can fix it, without losing that look. I think that it only happens on bridges that connect to a slope, so maybe a little change in the pngcodecing of the sloped tiles will correct it, or else I'll have to cut the sloped tiles a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly the reason why I called it a test set, to find these kind of things.
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

seems to happen to me also
Attachments
difference.PNG
difference.PNG (127.44 KiB) Viewed 13561 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

It would appear that the slope sprites are larger than they should be, hence the clipping of the tile behind...
(Could be wrong though, I'm sure a OpenTTD would have a more accurate answer)...

I base this off the fact that the stock TTD 'grassy tile' is clipped over its 'border' and that bridge parts are put on top of the slope sprite and thus it must be the time behind being clipped...

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [32bpp] Temperate climate grass test set: Update !

Post by GeekToo »

I've updated the grass test set (download in first post):

-format is now suitable for the new tar loader (see first post)
-The problem with the bridges and sloped tiles is less noticable, I could not remove it completely without introducing glitches, but I think it is acceptable now.
-The tiles with half a level tile, and half a slope, now match the other level tiles
-Removed some ugly spots and too bright pixels
-Removed the glitch mentioned by Athanasios
-Softened the transitions on the tiles half level / half slope, I thought the transition was too "sharp" for grass

Return to “Graphics Development”