Additional sprites for vehicles going on/off a slope

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Additional sprites for vehicles going on/off a slope

Post by Hyronymus »

[12:38] Hyronymus: question: is it possible to use the tilting train sprites approach to add sprites for vehicles goin up/off slopes
[12:40] Hyronymus thinks how long ago it was that he bothered patchman with a question related to TTDp
[12:40] Hyronymus: must be quite some time
[12:40] Islacrusez: I recall I enquired into something similar not too long ago
[12:40] Islacrusez: actually, ages ago
[12:40] Firemark has joined
[12:40] Hyronymus: you do, Islacrusez?
[12:40] patchman: in principle yes
[12:40] patchman: somebody just needs to add the variable
[12:40] Hyronymus: wicked
[12:40] Hyronymus: but I assume "just" serves as an euphemism
[12:41] patchman: actually it wouldn't be hard
[12:41] Islacrusez: first time I've heard that from patchman
[12:41] Islacrusez: XD
[12:42] patchman: basing it on the slope of the tile would be hard-ish
[12:42] patchman: what with buildonslopes etc.
[12:43] patchman: but just calculating the height difference between the previous and following vehicle would be quite easy
In more detail my question is that when a train leaves flat track and enters a steep track (upwards or downwards) you get more sprites between the stages. Now there is just 1 sprite to mark the difference from flat to sloped which really makes the "movement" appalling.

I'm not behind a PC with TTDPatch or OTTD installed, perhaps someone can illustrate what I mean with a screenshot?!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Additional sprites for vehicles going on/off a slope

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:Now there is just 1 sprite to mark the difference from flat to sloped which really makes the "movement" appalling.
I thought I knew what you meant, until I read this line. ATM TT makes no difference in sprites wether a train is on a flat track or a sloped track, AFAIK.
I'm not behind a PC with TTDPatch or OTTD installed, perhaps someone can illustrate what I mean with a screenshot?!
Don't you just mean the vehicle will be sloped too when driving on a sloped tile? (e.g. driving downwards will have additional sprites, and driving upwards will have additional sprites.)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Yes, I do. Instead of their bad looking anti-gravitational movement.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

I thought of this recently, but I didn't get round to posting it, i made a poor mockup too, :wink:
EDIT: actually, I remember this morning thinking how many sprites would be needed for a tilting train to use this as well!
Attachments
will it wok.png
will it wok.png (12.22 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

m3henry wrote: I remember this morning thinking how many sprites would be needed for a tilting train to use this as well!
Not a huge amount - we can't have corners on downhills, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

but the tilting train tilts just before and just after the corner, as there is no smooth cornering
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Just a quick mockup of a train on a slope and the angled sprite. The amount of work needed for this would be enormous with some sets graphics-wise. Each train would need an additional 8 sprites in addition to the current 8, effectively doubling the number of sprites. With a set like the NARS that has almost 10,000 sprites... this is a lot of work... lol

Very interesting concept though.
Attachments
Trainonslope.png
Trainonslope.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I think you could probably get away with only four additional sprites; slopes can only happen in the cardinal directions, not the diagonal directions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

DaleStan wrote:I think you could probably get away with only four additional sprites
Only if your vehicles are symmetrical.
Rendall
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rendall »

"this is a lot of work... lol"

Maybe not if it can be coded with an option in a set? I am not a coder but it might be possible with something like "if set include -false- than use slope drawings" and "if set include -true- than only use horizontal drawings"?

If it can be coded that way it is up to the drawer(s) and the coder(s) as a set-team to choose if they want to do the extra work.
If it is possible I would redraw all my trams.... I do like the idea.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It is always up to the GRF artists and coders which features they want to use.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Rendall
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rendall »

"It is always up to the GRF artists and coders which features they want to use."

- It is up to someone install TTD
- It is up to someone to buy a computer
- It is up to someone to love trains

I do not want to abuse you Dalestan but reading you reaction my only thoughts are " DUH , that's a wise answer" :?
Ehmmm, yeah I really can do something with your answer :( :P
Please visit the dutch tramset
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, then, I don't understand your statements here:
Rendall wrote:Maybe not if it can be coded with an option in a set?
If it can be coded that way it is up to the drawer(s) and the coder(s) as a set-team to choose if they want to do the extra work.
You seem to be suggesting that it might somehow be possible for Patch to enforce the use of sloped sprites.

That will never happen.

Nothing mandatory has been added to the spec since Action 8, which came sometime before 2.0 final.
Rendall
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rendall »

"You seem to be suggesting that it might somehow be possible for Patch to enforce the use of sloped sprites."

No. I do suggest "Let patch automaticly use this slope option when possible" and were do you have to give the option that it is possible... in the set itselve. And why do I ask if it is possible to code that way? Because otherwise some sets have to be recoded and redrawn at once. And although it is a lot of work to do that. It is possible. But not at once... Did this make clear what I do mean? :)
Please visit the dutch tramset
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ah. Well, the likelihood of that depends on your definition of "automatically". Or maybe "give the option that it is possible".

Most likely, if adding a few extra var. action 2s per vehicle counts as "give the option", then Patch will automatically obey those action 2s. In the absence of those action 2s, then Patch will "automatically" use only the flat graphics.
Rendall wrote:And why do I ask if it is possible to code that way? Because otherwise some sets have to be recoded and redrawn at once.
I still don't get this. No previously-valid sets have been made invalid, nor had their behaviour changed, since before 2.0 final, and such invalidation will (AIUI) never happen again.

(GRFs that do not obey the documentation are not valid, even if TTDPatch ignores their disobedience.)
Rendall
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rendall »

"In the absence of those action 2s, then Patch will "automatically" use only the flat graphics."

This is the answer I think. If there are no slope sprites than flat sprites will be used.

Return to “Suggestions”