RABe514 (S-Bahn Schweiz / Rapid-transit railway Switzerland)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

RABe514 (S-Bahn Schweiz / Rapid-transit railway Switzerland)

Post by TTdelicious »

Simply because this is my first GRF/PCX-File I am working on, I wonder what do you think about it. Please let me know your opinion and your possibly idea for improvement :wink: Many thanks in advance!

Link to some original pictures: http://www.sbeb.ch/Themen/RABe514.htm
Rabe514.png
Rabe514.png (4 KiB) Viewed 6612 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: RABe514 (S-Bahn Schweiz / Rapid-transit railway Switzerland)

Post by Purno »

Not that bad, but please read my graphic tutorials (link in sig), since this graphic you posted is 100% useless. :wink:

EDIT: And be aware there already have been people working on Swiss trains, it'd be a shame to do work over and over again. There's a topic somewhere in this forum.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

Thank you, I have already read it, but there are some things I don't understand. May you answer me?

I think you mean the sizes on this site http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/re ... sizes.html, right?

In your signature, you have trains in several sizes (height, length) are this only "fake-images" or real-size-images? One reason why I designed my trains higher: This train two-storied. Perhaps it's not important because the relation in this game is not really given, but I would show the users they will game later with this grf, that this train is higher than others. Furthermore there exist some GRF with large vehicules (not trains). Is the size for cars different to the sizes for trains? I could well import my image in OTTD, but it were - of course - a bit large :)

EDIT: I know the Swiss Set, but some month (even jears?) no one continue this work, so I start my own project or complete this Swiss Set ... we'll see.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

TTdelicious wrote:Thank you, I have already read it, but there are some things I don't understand. May you answer me?

I think you mean the sizes on this site http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/re ... sizes.html, right?

In your signature, you have trains in several sizes (height, length) are this only "fake-images" or real-size-images? One reason why I designed my trains higher: This train two-storied. Perhaps it's not important because the relation in this game is not really given, but I would show the users they will game later with this grf, that this train is higher than others. Furthermore there exist some GRF with large vehicules (not trains). Is the size for cars different to the sizes for trains? I could well import my image in OTTD, but it were - of course - a bit large :)

EDIT: I know the Swiss Set, but some month (even jears?) no one continue this work, so I start my own project or complete this Swiss Set ... we'll see.
And like you said, if you had read the thread, you would know the reason that it hasnt had much done on it recently...
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

I did not mentionned the Swiss Set Thread, but the Information about the sizes .... (for which I had some questions) :) The Swiss Thread is very interesting, but 24 pages ..... and no, I do not know why nothing happens with the Swiss Set. By the way: The Link on your Download Site is not ok.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

TTdelicious wrote:Thank you, I have already read it, but there are some things I don't understand. May you answer me?

Yes.
In your signature, you have trains in several sizes (height, length) are this only "fake-images" or real-size-images?
Real size, those trains are built up from valid sprites.
One reason why I designed my trains higher: This train two-storied. Perhaps it's not important because the relation in this game is not really given, but I would show the users they will game later with this grf, that this train is higher than others.
I was mainly referring to the vehicles length.
Furthermore there exist some GRF with large vehicules (not trains). Is the size for cars different to the sizes for trains? I could well import my image in OTTD, but it were - of course - a bit large :)
That's only possible with non-articulated vehicles, such as road vehicles, ships and airplanes, AFAIK.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

New Version:
Attachments
RABe415 Seitenansicht lang.png
RABe415 Seitenansicht lang.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

A nice effort, but if I may offer a suggestion, get some colour randomisation in.. Use a few shades of the white to make it look a bit more natural and a bit less bright, but for a newbie, nice effort :)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

Update:
RABe415 Seitenansicht lang.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I does look a bit high. Maybe cut out one row from the wheels and one from the general height? You're almost touching the overhead electrical lines :-)

Compare to my double decker (which IMO, looks the right size in the game):
Example9.png
Example9.png (711 Bytes) Viewed 6359 times
Also note how a few levels of shading indicates the curve of the upper floor and roof (both the sides and the windows).
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Generally Double deck trains aren't twice the height of a standard coach but are only a bit taller than a normal than a coach. I know this the case with swiss trains too.
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

Jeah, that's right, the trains aren't the double high, just a bit higher, but i would it show :)
AndersI, I adaptes the image as you told, but the last words I did not understand, my english isn't very good :?
Attachments
RABe415 Seitenansicht lang.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
Seelenquell
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Seelenquell »

nice! i made it for locomotion :D since i now often play OTTD i´d like to see it there. can´t wait to try it.
rabe.jpg
rabe.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
i did all models/renderings/textures myself. no conversions.

seelenquell.pytalhost.com has been reactivated from 16/07/28 till 18/05/31.. now it´s deactivated. at least there..
new URL is: http://seelenquell.125mb.com
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I saw one of these trains while I was in Switzerland last week (Alongside lake Thun, incidentally. Our coach was going faster than it!) and that looks like quite a good reproduction to me. All you need to go is add a little more shading and touch some bits up to make a great graphic!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

It seem to miss pantographs. :wink:
Image Image
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

TTdelicious wrote:I adaptes the image as you told, but the last words I did not understand
I meant 'rounding off' the top edge a little, for example like this (my version to the left):
Example10.png
Example10.png (583 Bytes) Viewed 6086 times
KawaiiImoto-e
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KawaiiImoto-e »

I hope it's not a useless "bump".

You really should add the pantographs, as it features two of them for each trainset.
I also have to add, please be aware that a DTZ (RABe 514) has 3 different cars as only one endcar features 1st Class, signed by the yellow stripes (The Train actually has 4 different cars, but graphically the two middle coaches are the same)

@jonty-comp: In Thun? I think you saw a IC2000 with Re 460, as the RABe 514 does not operate in that area (only in the greater area of Zürich for the S-Bahn network - S7, S8, S14, S15 (1-5), S16 (6,7)).

Return to “Graphics Development”