Starting a random game in any year you want.

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Is this a good idea

Yes.
57%
No.
No votes
I always start as early as possible.
43%

Total votes: 14

m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Starting a random game in any year you want.

Post by m3henry »

Would it be possible to add an option to the game difficulty/game settings window to select the start year in integers of 1 or 5 but considering the ttdpatch config, so that you could start a late game or an early game without using the scenario editor.
Last edited by m3henry on 28 Jul 2007 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Starting a random game in any year you want.

Post by m3henry »

and one month later?
I take it that this a extremely bad idea then
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Um, Pre-defined scenarios have the date built into them (I think), becides doesn't startyear do the job for new random games already?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

by the way I understand things the switch is a limiter, allowing the game start year to be any date after, I dont know if the game crashes if the year is before the value of the switch
but this would allow you to start a random scenario in 1936, and then change your mind and start in 1927, without exiting ttd and modifying config file.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

You mean an option on the gui itself?
No idea if that's possible or not, I'd imagination it is though, not sure where you'd put such a thing though...

To be honest, I have been thinking starting a new random game needs a gui so you can change settings like, climate, grfs, landscape details and I guess start year, heh. (Mainly because the 'disk'->'new game' option I added a while ago).
But I have no real time at the moment to even attempt to work on such 'projects'. :cry:

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I hope it doesnt end up like the OpenTTD one that is redundant in that it asks you for the climate again, it's almost like reopening the main menue again.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Lakie wrote:You mean an option on the gui itself?
yes.
I don't imagine that it would be impossible, seeing as it is in the scenario editor and there is a yearcheat
Attachments
suggestion for gui?
suggestion for gui?
menu map.png (23.1 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

That diagram actually confuses the crap out of me, are you wanting to replace the start up menu with that? Seems awfully complicated in my book...
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Surely adding an option in options would be easier, m3henry.

robotboy: for the "new game" option on the "file" menu, I think such a gui could be quite nice...

~ Lakie
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Yeah to the new game option. The year date would either go in the Game Options menue, or we could have the random game option open up a dialogue asking for the year. We could even add a new option to the new game menue with Random Game with random year so it randomly selected a year.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Ameecher wrote:That diagram actually confuses the crap out of me...
TBH it confuses me too :P
adding an option in options sound much better lakie :)
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

An option has been added to the game options window as of r1694.
It should be noted that only the 2.6 source has it and that the nightly needs forcerebuildovl on (dunno why, needs fixing sometime really).

[Edit] It should affect new randomly generated games as well as the scenario editor. ;)
GameOptions.png
GameOptions.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
~ Lakie
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Yay! *Bounces up and down*
It should be noted that only the 2.6 source has it.
works fine here, and I'm using win32 nightly

@Lakie: Thank You, Thank you, Thankyou! :D
P.S. Sorry for cutting you short, the computer threw a wobbly.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I'm surprised its in the latest nightly considering it was committed around 5am in the morning, normally nightlies are made around 2-3am. :?

~ Lakie
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The logs say that you committed three minutes after the first nightly run completed.

TTDPatch nightlies are generated at 03:00 and 04:00 GMT.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Just used this feature for the first time and it's quite useful, although it might be useful to allow a text input if you click on the year rather than the arrows or allowing to hold down the arrows to flick through the years quickly instead of having to click every time to change a year.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I did try to make it similar to the scenario editors year buttons but alias it didn't work. :(

~ Lakie
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Ah right, fair enough. Thanks Lakie :)

Return to “Suggestions”