Patch: Amount of airports per town (r10663)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

rav
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Patch: Amount of airports per town (r10663)

Post by rav »

well, it's my first patch, so be happy with it! :mrgreen:

4_airports_per_town.diff
this diff file allow a total of 4 airports per town in multiplayer.

2_airports_per_player_per_town.diff
this diff will allow all players to place 2 airports per town (regardless of the amount of total airports, or the amount of players). Also works with AI in singeplayer.

2_per_player_4_per_town.diff
same as the last one, exept for the fact that a town will only allow four airports
Attachments
4_airports_per_town.diff
diff file for r10663
(803 Bytes) Downloaded 345 times
2_airports_per_player_per_town.diff
2 airports per player, per town
(723 Bytes) Downloaded 244 times
2_per_player_4_per_town.diff
2 airports max per player, 4 max per town
(865 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times
Last edited by rav on 23 Jul 2007 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: max four airports per town in multiplayer (r10663)

Post by Bilbo »

Only in multiplayer? That seems to be a bit inconsistent...

What about making max 2 airports per player and 4 airports max instead? This will effectively still be 2 in singleplayer (unless with AI, then AI can have 2 extra :) and 4 in MP. Also, it will be more fair (one player would not be able to block building of airports in town by placing 4 heliports in the vicinity)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
rav
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rav »

added a seperate diff for your suggestion :wink:
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

As I mentionned to rav on IRC (You should join us on iRC, Bilbo, by the way), there is another plan for the more airports per town, one based on noise level, as waht has been done in TTDPatch.
Each airport generate a certain amount o f noise, and the towns accept up to a certain amunt of noise.
A patch has already been written for that by Pasky. Just need to finish my current workload before finishing it
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
rav
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rav »

belugas wrote:As I mentionned to rav on IRC (You should join us on iRC, Bilbo, by the way), there is another plan for the more airports per town, one based on noise level, as waht has been done in TTDPatch.
Each airport generate a certain amount o f noise, and the towns accept up to a certain amunt of noise.
A patch has already been written for that by Pasky. Just need to finish my current workload before finishing it
that's ok: this is more of a learning project for me.. :)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

belugas wrote:As I mentionned to rav on IRC (You should join us on iRC, Bilbo, by the way)
Hmm .. well, my nick is usually taken there, so IRC is not my favorite cause I have to resort to names like B1lb0 and such... but I may give it a try .... btw which network and which channel?
belugas wrote: There is another plan for the more airports per town, one based on noise level, as waht has been done in TTDPatch.
That may be good. Will it still allow one player to block all the airport capacity of town, or is this issue dealt with? Since now you stick two heliports in city and you have eternal monopoly for air transport in it :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Bilbo wrote:
belugas wrote:As I mentionned to rav on IRC (You should join us on iRC, Bilbo, by the way)
Hmm .. well, my nick is usually taken there, so IRC is not my favorite cause I have to resort to names like B1lb0 and such... but I may give it a try .... btw which network and which channel?
IRC.OFTC.NET

Channel #openttd

Join and you will see a lot of people there + most of developers

:wink:
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Bilbo wrote:Hmm .. well, my nick is usually taken there, so IRC is not my favorite cause I have to resort to names like B1lb0 and such... but I may give it a try .... btw which network and which channel?
Easy : irc.oftc.net, #openttd
I see not Bilbo already in it, so maybe you'll be the only one ;)
Bilbo wrote: That may be good. Will it still allow one player to block all the airport capacity of town, or is this issue dealt with? Since now you stick two heliports in city and you have eternal monopoly for air transport in it :)
Depends of the size of the town. Anyway, as the town grows, more airports will be allowed.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: Amount of airports per town (r10663)

Post by athanasios »

With passengers/destination patch and capability of using opponents' stations, or town owned airports there wouldn't be any need for more airports. Actually some small extra airports would be needed to serve industries that are far from the city (in large maps with a few towns). So for the time being please take this also into consideration when you make the per 'noise' patch. An airport very far away from the city should be allowed.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
hjxbf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hjxbf »

Couple of thoughts;

- In OTTD some of the cities get really big as the game proceeds. Your old small airport in the city centre (converted to commuter by blasting away adjacent buildings) only covers a tiny amount of the city houses. You try to supply the city with larger airports located in the suburbs, only to be blocked by a noise rule, leaving most of the city outside the vicinity of an airport.

- Same story with industrial airports; if every inch of the map is governed by some local authority, you'll be unable to build industrial airports even if they are located far out in the countryside, away from any annoying noise-limiting NIMBYS...

If I remember correctly from the original TTD, a city's local authority only extended a fixed amount of tiles from the city centre, regardless of its size, i.e. a lot of space between cities was untouched by grumpy local authorities. Would it be possible to have the noise patch only affect the city centre? Then you could keep your commuter airports and heliports within the city centre, yet build enormous intercontinental airports by the numbers between cities (just like in the real world, e.g. London) and unlimited insutrial airports far away. If possible, one could make the noise patch follow city size, so a larger city (with a larger city centre) has a larger area in which the restrictions apply.
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

Hi guys,

I am pushing this very old thread back up, because I would like to know if there is a similar patch around or if anyone knows if this patch would still work with the newest releases. Or is that function (having more than 4 airports and 2 per player) now available via some setting in the menus or GRFs?

I really think that patch made playing fair on large maps when all players made most of their money with airplanes. The patch prevented players from "reserving" cities early in the game by placing airports everywhere without serving them.

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Carst
Playing TT & TTD since 1995 - Will satisfy the Megalomaniac in everyone!

Click here to see all my maps!
Highlights:
CarstsEuropeScenario based on SRTM-Data (Redo planned)
CarstsWorldScenario based on satellite heightmap
CarstsGermanyScenario coming soon...
CarstsBerlinBburgScenario planned...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

At r10663, it's safe to say it has no chance at all.
Besides, the problem is obsolete, as you can now have noise control instead of airport count.
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

Thanks Albert, noise control is new to me. I still used an older version with some friends for our multiplayer-sessions.

Highlights:
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

How old was the version you were playing? Noise control was introduced in 0.7, which was more than 5 years ago...
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

It is a totally custom build version from the 0.7 times, but before this noise feature was added. This version we are still using has a lot of patches from this forum added. Lots of the things are now part of the current, full version...

Highlights:

Return to “OpenTTD Development”