Maximum Population > Total Waiting Passengers

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Maximum Population > Total Waiting Passengers

Post by Axlrose »

Evening, anyone remember me or have I been forgotten...?

While playing a new game recently, I noticed something that was a bit strange if compared to real life. The city / town information window will display the maximum population being x amount of people. Yet using a graphical set like Zimmlock's total town replacement with its cathedrals, hospitals, and stock exchanges possessing a large number of potential passengers, a well placed bus station can hold more passengers than the maximum population! Using random numbers, the small town of Tycoon has a maximum population of 250 people. But the local bus station placed nicely between a busy section of town currently has 500 people (and growing) waiting to catch a trip out of town.

What I propose as a suggestion would be the total amount of passengers at all stations within the city / town limits does not exceed the maximum population of that city / town. Transporting these passengers elsewhere should create a void in the station total to allow more passengers to be generated. That is, using the example above, a few buses takes 50 passengers out of the Tycoon, allowing the city to "grow" 50 more passengers. The 50 passengers traveling elsewhere on the buses will help their final destination area "grow", allowing the maximum population number to increase, thus allowing more passengers to wait at the stations.

I feel this will allow some control over the growth of the cities instead of sudden population explosions while your transportation system is lacking. Also, it offers a bit of a realistic approach since passengers had to have originated from somewhere if the city states a maximum.

Comments, thoughts?
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Maximum Population > Total Waiting Passengers

Post by Bilbo »

Maybe you could add to the "possible passenger pool" all (or part of) people that were brought in the city from somewhere, since many of them would like a return trip or continue their trip to somewhere else ...

Also, for some small, but touristically popular villages, it is not uncommon that number of tourists in/near the village is much greater than number of inhabitants.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)

Return to “Suggestions”