Patch: Town road layout

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

:bow:
Goooood work!
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
kaan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kaan »

It looks good :)
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

And here is another update. Added layout (2,3)x(2,3) looks a bit less equal (more or less). :lol:
Attachments
Flendingham Transport, 3. Apr 1955.png
Flendingham Transport, 3. Apr 1955.png (56.44 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
random_better_roads_r9815_b.patch
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mosfet »

Skidd,

One thing I keep meaning to have a go at, but never have the time or effort to do is to stop towns from building un-capped roads.

i.e. Make sure that every dead-end has pavement/sidewalk around the end, like a cul-de-sac, rather than just trailing off into grass.

What especially irritates me is when the towns build roads sloped down into water, rather than using a built-up tile with a cul-de-sac.
MeTo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MeTo »

There was any change with the option "no more roads" ? Now, if I have chosen this option, it works, there is really no road.... but if I build the road, the city builds no buildings along it....
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MeTo wrote:There was any change with the option "no more roads" ? Now, if I have chosen this option, it works, there is really no road.... but if I build the road, the city builds no buildings along it....
I think this would fix it.

Code: Select all

Index: src/town_cmd.cpp
===================================================================
--- src/town_cmd.cpp    (Revision 9829)
+++ src/town_cmd.cpp    (Arbeitskopie)
@@ -1178,7 +1178,7 @@
        /* Let the town be a ghost town
         * The player wanted it in such a way. Thus there he has it. ;)
         * Never reached in editor mode. */
-       if (_patches.town_layout == TL_NO_ROADS) {
+       if (_patches.town_layout == TL_NO_ROADS && _generating_world) {
                return false;
        }
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
MeTo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MeTo »

thank you, it works now, cities build houses :)
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

And another update...
Attachments
random_better_roads_r9829.patch
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
---
---
MaxKnight
Engineer
Engineer

Slight possible bug

Post by MaxKnight »

Please excuse this bump, I wasn't sure whether to bring it up here or not since it's inclusion into Trunk.

It seems that it doesn't detect slopes properly when it wants to build junctions. If the tile a junction is supposed to be built on is sloped, it still builds the junction, but it gets built on foundations and is only three-way, with the last direction the one it came from. It appears to be a bug to me, but I wasn't sure if it needed to be reported to FlySpray or not. I've included a screenshot of the occurence.
Attachments
Transport Transport, 14th Aug 1922.png
Junctions and slopes do no mix.
(195.17 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Slight possible bug

Post by skidd13 »

MaxKnight wrote:Please excuse this bump, I wasn't sure whether to bring it up here or not since it's inclusion into Trunk.

It seems that it doesn't detect slopes properly when it wants to build junctions. If the tile a junction is supposed to be built on is sloped, it still builds the junction, but it gets built on foundations and is only three-way, with the last direction the one it came from. It appears to be a bug to me, but I wasn't sure if it needed to be reported to FlySpray or not. I've included a screenshot of the occurence.
I've no problem with this bump. ;)
This behavior is intended. Well most of it. The three way is build because it is the most connective street-junction. Sure it looks a bit wired in this case. In code I marked this already, but from the coding point I don't know a nice and easy solution (yet).
---
---
MaxKnight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MaxKnight »

Now, I solved the problem for that town by demolishing those ugly roads and lowering the land so that the junction would be on flat land.

Since towns are capable of minor terraforming in order to build roads and whatnot, couldn't you add a check for where these junctions are to be built and force the town to try to lower the entire tile to the height of the road leading into it? If it's not possible, then skip trying to expand that direction and go another way. Would this be possible in code? I know C++, but not enough to figure out how to do something like this.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MaxKnight wrote:Now, I solved the problem for that town by demolishing those ugly roads and lowering the land so that the junction would be on flat land.

Since towns are capable of minor terraforming in order to build roads and whatnot, couldn't you add a check for where these junctions are to be built and force the town to try to lower the entire tile to the height of the road leading into it? If it's not possible, then skip trying to expand that direction and go another way. Would this be possible in code? I know C++, but not enough to figure out how to do something like this.
I get what you mean, but the selection where to grow the city is random (more or less). If you want to check from where the city opticaly grow you have to check the tiles around the target one and do some math there... That would cause many if cascades... not very nice. I decided to check only the slopes and not the growing direction. It looks nicer in code if you have a clean switch instead of 20-30 if cascades... ;) IMHO
---
---
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

I'm working on the town again. ATM I'm trying to get rid of the inconnective dead ends created by the town road layout.

Here is the first (not working as expected ATM) diff.

Edit: small fix.
Attachments
do_not_build_inconnective_roads_r10508.patch
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by skidd13 on 11 Jul 2007 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
---
---
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Not sure I follow... what is it about dead-ends that you're trying to get rid of?
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:Not sure I follow... what is it about dead-ends that you're trying to get rid of?
Roads leading into water, etc.
---
---
MarkyParky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkyParky »

Hello,

do you think it would be possible to implement "town builds no roads" to scenario editor as well? It would be handy to create custom city layouts by simply drawing the streets first, than building the city in the middle and expanding it just by clicking the button in editor...
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

It is possible, but it has been objected.
If you really do want to create your own layout, it is quite easy. Simply create a small town and deal with the road yourself.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

belugas wrote:It is possible, but it has been objected.
If you really do want to create your own layout, it is quite easy. Simply create a small town and deal with the road yourself.
Yes, build small city, bulldoze it completely, then add your own street layout and then "expand" the city for letting it build the buildings
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

I just got an idea. Would it be possible to make cities build bridges or tunnels when crossing railways? I don't mean there should be no level crossings, but from time to time, a town could afford a bridge ;)

Not sure if it is in scope of this patch, probably not :oops:
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Mchl wrote:I just got an idea. Would it be possible to make cities build bridges or tunnels when crossing railways? I don't mean there should be no level crossings, but from time to time, a town could afford a bridge ;)

Not sure if it is in scope of this patch, probably not :oops:
Definitely when crossing maglev track, since maglev crossings are rather crossnigs of death. Maybe the chance to biuld bridge instead of crossing would depend on max. speed of vehicle that could go over it. For <100 km/h never build a bridge, for >250 km/h almost always build a bridge, between these two make some linear fade ....
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”