[Big Project][32bpp] BrickLand Climate

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

[Big Project][32bpp] BrickLand Climate

Post by Wolf01 »

i started to draw a brickland climate to replace toyland
i thougt to make it in 32bpp to have more colours and the support of png instead of coding a grf which i don't know how to

i made 2 little previews (see attachments)
the first one is a tryout of a slope, the second is an improved slope which should look like a stair instead of a slope

the third is a part of a "real" lego prototype, to guide me for the drawing of the various sprites

if anybody wants to help, since this is a very big project and i started to draw... 4 hours ago, i'll appreciate :)

- INSTRUCTIONS -
Download the .tar files, put them into the DATA folder
Add " -b 32bpp-anim" at the end of the executable path of the OTTD shortcut, without double quotes (note the space before -b)
Run OTTD, disable the newwater.grf if active (or you won't see the lego coasts) and enjoy
Don't b**** about graphic glitches, we are working on them ;)

- LAND -
[9] - cleared land: maybe the lightning?
[9] - half cleared: this and the other middle stage may need some more work
[9] - almost normal: wip :)
[9] - normal tiles: balance the colors, lightning?
[1] - rough land
[0] - rocky land
[9] - water and coasts
[0] - canals

- TRANSPORTS -
[8] - road: seem good, latest addition: city roads
[8] - rail: at good point
[0] - monorail
[0] - maglev

- STRUCTURES -
[0] - planned

- PICTURES AND DOWNLOADS -
[Terrain] https://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=82377
[Coast, Add Shores] https://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=83585, https://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=86803
[Tracks] https://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=83463
[Roads] https://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=83584

[terrain]

[railroad]

[city roads]

[coasts]

- CREDITS -
Wolf01 - Idea, Terrain, Roads
Leviath.NL - Coding
Slye_Fox - Rail tracks, Coasts, Some Buildings, Coding
Soeb - Additional shores, Coding
(tell me if i forgot something)
Last edited by Wolf01 on 15 May 2008 12:19, edited 15 times in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

A nice effort :) Looking forward to this.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Juhl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juhl »

Wow, this is a really good idea. A very suitable replacement for Toyland indeed.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Good luck with your project. And please I don't like the word 'replacement'. I like toyland. This can be an additional climate. OK there is no support for this in OpenTTD, but I hope in the future... Peter do you have any plans about this?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Something that just replaces the terrain of toyland is a good start. Lots of people find it a eyesore, personally I'm not bothered although I admit the grid pattern gets on me if I'm really tired. ;) I'm curious how it would work with water though, although I guess it doesn't hurt to have the water the same.
nezzybaby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nezzybaby »

athanasios wrote:Good luck with your project. And please I don't like the word 'replacement'. I like toyland. This can be an additional climate. OK there is no support for this in OpenTTD, but I hope in the future... Peter do you have any plans about this?
Why does this bother you? im confused by your response, if the set is contained in a GRF like the toyland to mars conversion then you simply dont load it and carry on with toyland as normal. I doesn't really matter which set it replaces, just use the grfs you want...... or have i missed something?

Legoland sounds like an amazing idea. I prefer the idea of keeping all the squares horizontal rather than leaning the slopes. Seems more realistic to the way lego would work. For the buildings are they gonna be single pieces of lego, or could you somehow assume the main blocks are Duplo sized, and you could make the buildings look more like small lego structures rather than one square pieces.

oh one final thing LEGO and DUPLO are trademarks, so you'll probably have to stick with brickland for the name.

Sounds like a huge project best of luck with it i can't wait to see what you come up with.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Wolf01, you are aware of the previous efforts to make a brickland climate? It'd be a shame if things are done over and over again. :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i don't want to make grfs because i'm not able to encode them and i want that OTTD moves in its own direction, and now that it supports loading of pngs i'll make it so :)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Wolf01 wrote:i don't want to make grfs because i'm not able to encode them and i want that OTTD moves in its own direction, and now that it supports loading of pngs i'll make it so :)
If you're responding to Purno, He didn't say anything about GRFs.

Behold
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

here is an update: some terrain tiles in game :D
many thanks to peter1138 who set the offsets
Attachments
brickland.png
(155.88 KiB) Downloaded 1126 times
Juhl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juhl »

Whooooop!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :oops:

This looks great.

I took a look at the old Brickland thread there is a lot of useful resources there.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Also... Anders has some link to a brick design program in his signature. Might be worth seeing if he can be of use.

Loving the work so far Wolf!!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Looking good in game, Wolf01!

Flickr

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

To make it clear: I am against any idea of replacing or worse removing toyland in OpenTTD, as some have suggested in the past. I don't disagree of a new grf like Mars, which I am already using. What I have suggested is that the developers include code for additonal climates, so we don't need to miss a specific climate to get a new one.
These block sprites for terrain are nice. My suggestion: darker green and an option of no grid lines.
I noticed some things that need to be fixed:

1. Base of block is brighter than than upper parts (top and lighted side), sorry I don't know correct work I' ll use 'buttons'.
2. Edges of buttons need some blurring, they are juggy.

Here I post a quick hack with darker green color and fixed buttons (tile arrow is pointing at).
Attachments
blocks_test.png
blocks_test.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 31948 times

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

You can easily disable newgrfs nowadays you know :roll:
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Oooh nice one Wolf01! The darker green is I think better for big surfaces. Otherwise it would be too bright. (The problem with Toyland as it is now. :P )

/me needs :arrow: 8)
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

thank you for the suggestion, now i'm at work and i can see that the green i used is too bright (at home i work on a laptop and the colors seem to be a little darker than other monitors)

i'll take count of this when i'll continue to work on it this evening, i plan to get the pngcodec to work and i'll make the other 2 slopes and the other 3 corners

many thanks to you all for the support :D
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

How Do you want to develop this further, using Lego brick-style trains, RV´s, planes, houses, trees, streets?

I mean there is a real (well, not really real) Lego train, its track is six button wide, the sleepers eight. Older Lego RV´s were four buttons wide. So I would suggest making the squares bigger, 8x8.

But its a very nice idea, really really.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think it's better with the gridlines, personally. A little darker though...

Flickr

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Coxx wrote:So I would suggest making the squares bigger, 8x8.
I don't think it is possible. Tiles are too small for this. Your suggestion is OK for the future (256x127, 128x63).
Dave: That is why I proposed for an 'option' = a switch to use with or without grid according to taste.

By the way:
1. I suggest coast tiles not be all yellow but only base block. Maybe second one between yellow and green.
2. What about bulldozed land? Current schema with red should be avoided. It makes bad contrast with green. Dark red, brown, dark orange... any suggestions?

Return to “Graphics Development”