Coaches vs Trains

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Which is better?

Coach
No votes
Train
100%

Total votes: 40

Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Parkey wrote:My point with this thread was that someone I know seems to have gotten it into their head that travelling by coach is a reasonable alternative on a journey served well by rail. I take the view that coaches simply cannot hope to compare with trains, and that anyone who takes on in preference must be either a) in a different universe to the rest of us, or b) horribly misinformed as to the facts of how the two compare to one other.
Or of course..they dislike trains. Some people just dont feel comfortable or safe on a train and will prefer other means of transportation. Or they get train sickness..i assume it must exist if you can have car and ship and plane..
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

jpmaster wrote:Or they get train sickness..i assume it must exist if you can have car and ship and plane..
Of course it exists. The good ol' APT got bad write ups from the press after a demonstration ride because all the journalists on board were concentrating very very hard on the train's motion. Surprise surprise it made them nauseous. There was also alcohol involved...

I hear if you work at it you can get the same effect off a Pendolino.

It's hard to imagine someone being train-sick but not coach-sick though. Trains are a much smoother ride.
Confusious say "Man with one altimeter always know height. Man with two altimeters never certain."
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

If someone gets "train sick" they are probably going to get "coach sick" too thus ruling out that argument ;)
stupidestfool
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The lesser spotted 'fool can most often be tracked down in Cambridge, Leeds and London

Post by stupidestfool »

In theory it can be easier to get train sick, if the train ride is particularly smooth. Generally, it's better if your body is aware you're moving, providing you're looking out of the window that is...
Nice to be back on the snazzy new TT-Forums
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

I get wheelchair sickness...
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
stupidestfool
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The lesser spotted 'fool can most often be tracked down in Cambridge, Leeds and London

Post by stupidestfool »

andel wrote:I get wheelchair sickness...
That must be difficult to 'Andel...

Shoot me, shoot me now...
Nice to be back on the snazzy new TT-Forums
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

I get airsickness, but only when I'm the pilot. :?

Always feel ill on a coach if I try to read. Never felt ill on a train.
Confusious say "Man with one altimeter always know height. Man with two altimeters never certain."
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

I got seasick once- but I was hanging upside down in the forehatch of a 25' sloop, trying to get the *@#$% spinnaker belowdecks and the storm jib rigged as six-foot waves were breaking over the bow. Was okay once I was right side up and could see the horizon.
Parkey wrote:I get airsickness, but only when I'm the pilot. :?

Always feel ill on a coach if I try to read. Never felt ill on a train.
Who is John Galt?
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

Being quite prone to seasickness myself I feel well qualified to say that the advantage of being nauseous on a ship is that one can always go and "hug the rail" for a bit. It's an incredibly clean way to be ill and afterward you instantly feel better.

Being ill all over the inside of a car/coach/train/glider is less pleasant.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”