Construction-Time

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

giddorah
Engineer
Engineer

Construction-Time

Post by giddorah »

This might take a major overhaul and might not even be possible (Or asked for). But I know I would love it.

How about building tracks, depots, roads, stations and so on takes some time?

This would add some serious realism to the game, and in certain ways make those unrealistic +$1billion a week companies take a little longer to achieve.

This, together with the "No Usage - Grass grows on rail" addition would make the game really realistic: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

If there was a "construction" train you could build, maybe it could even be used to clean up tracks that havent been used for a while to bring them back up to a good state more quickly and efficient?

I suck at this explaining business.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Thinking about this:

Grass covered rails :arrow: Reliability of every train moving over those tracks is greatly reduced.

Maintenance vehicles cannot generate income but can wipe the rails clean again instead of having a few hundered of trains running across those rails and wasting their reliability.

Maintenance vehicles would be super cool! And maybe even a nice money waster so the money flows in more realistic. :wink:

Another idea about the latter:

Construction (also maintenance) vehicles can reduce building time. With building time as described by Giddorah. :D

Pro's:
+ Maintenance vehicles are a money waster in sense that they only cost per year and do not generate income. However it makes your banking A LOT more realistic,
+ Maintenance vehicles themselves add a lot of realism,
+ Add more depth into the game by having construction time (abbrivation: CT) and influences upon CT.

Cons:
- Not that I can think off, maybe in the future if other people realise something that I forgot and left out of the equation.

:D
ThePenguin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ThePenguin »

I think this would be pretty cool I've wanted it for a while.
SuperVGA
Engineer
Engineer

Good idea

Post by SuperVGA »

WTG giddorah! That is one great idea i think.

First, you're talking about Building ex. a line of rail, which will
be completed in x Days.

After xx Months of disuse, they will grass-over boekabart style.
Still, be covered more and more in grass and all of a sudden,
when we realize 40 years after that we need to use the rails, we
use the "clear rail" function ...

... Sounds good ... Realistic at least.
Attachments
Made In paint.<br />Reason i don't have reply #1, hehe.
Made In paint.
Reason i don't have reply #1, hehe.
OpenTTD Const.PNG (7.87 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
"Easy Driver"

-I want to paint like Simon Foster.
SuperVGA
Engineer
Engineer

Maintenace

Post by SuperVGA »

But maintenance vehicles are not required to run that frequent, as long as the rails are in use, right?
And then the maintenance vehicle would need to run longer over a distance of disused rails than ones affected by natural deterioation due to train wear...
"Easy Driver"

-I want to paint like Simon Foster.
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

The construction time could work quite well with the blue print idea that was suggested a while back. You design your track then click "build" then a few weeks/months later it is built. You could choose more important parts that should be finished first then the rest will follow afterwards
Jim-San
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jim-San »

How about if Mantainance Trains reduce the cost of Mantainance per month for the track they have crossed over and removal of grass on rails faster.
Half asleep so might not be good idea.
elmex
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elmex »

(As occasional openttd user my 2 cents:)
I like the idea! It would certainly add some interesting challenge :-)
giddorah
Engineer
Engineer

Post by giddorah »

I think so too, and all the pointers that the X Man noted above are also great additions and makes me wanting all this even more :)

I was also thinking about a speed-limitation you can set for your trains where ordering your trains run at XX% of the capacity would spare the engines, lower maintenance costs and bring something like "wear" into the game. But this will have to be thought through first. (And doesn't really belong in this thread) :)

Can anyone see any clear disadvantage of my original idea? Please post them and open up for a debate.
kul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kul »

I really like the idea of mantainance vehicles, but if badly mantainaced rails would reduce the reliability even more, I'd get even more breakdowns, and I do give my trains a lot of servicing.. :? (maybe it should decline less quickly?)

Also, often-used lines should get more attention from mantainance vehicles, as they wear off the fastest.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

kul wrote:I really like the idea of mantainance vehicles, but if badly mantainaced rails would reduce the reliability even more, I'd get even more breakdowns, and I do give my trains a lot of servicing.. :? (maybe it should decline less quickly?)

Also, often-used lines should get more attention from mantainance vehicles, as they wear off the fastest.
Well, I don't think it is a good idea. Sure, it adds realism, but players usually don't want to take extra care of already existing track, they want to let them run and build some new ones :)

I think if it will got implemented, most people will just turn it off :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Bilbo wrote:I think if it will got implemented, most people will just turn it off :)
But at least if it is added to the game, saddo's like me can turn it on if we want to make life more interesting ;)
jasperthecat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jasperthecat1 »

how about on roads :D
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

jasperthecat1 wrote:how about on roads :D
May be nice eye candy for all that asphalt to diminish and in the end you'll end up with dust road :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

jasperthecat1 wrote:how about on roads :D
How about you go and buy a game just about roads and highways? Have you tried "Road Tycoon 4"? Ive heard its about roads, highways, construction, and police cars... :roll:
And then you can leave us in peace for a while...

Edit:
For those of you that are curious, I completely made up that game just to try and send Jasper off somewhere else for a while...

;)
Last edited by Ben_K on 26 Jun 2007 13:34, edited 2 times in total.
jasperthecat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jasperthecat1 »

I cant find the web link.

EDIT: It's talking about Railroad tycoon
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Construction-Time

Post by audigex »

Wait a minute? This game is called TRANSPORT tycoon, not TRAIN tycoon... just because most people focus on trains doesn't mean roads should be ignored.
Jon
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

What?!
Youve dug up a topic that is a year old to tell us something that doesnt matter. If you knew the context then you wouldnt have made this comment. Jasperthecat1 kept asking for highways all the time. That is why he was told to go find a game that is just road transport.
Batti5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Batti5 »

DSC03418.jpg
DSC03418.jpg (156.02 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Wish to earn some money for free just by viewing some advertisment? Click this banner for more info.
It is Legal.
sirrliv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sirrliv »

Both of these suggestions (Build time and Abandonment) sound great. I'd like to add my two bits to this.

1. As far as construction time, There was a little-known game called "Railroad Pioneer" that came out a few years ago that did this and I LOVED it for it. I think that this would be a great idea, if possible.

2. Abandonment. Again, I support this idea. One thing I'd like to add is the possibility that, after a long period of time, the track could dissappear entirely. Regularly used track could also age. Therefore, without regular maintanence (i.e. trips by a maintanence vehicle), even main lines could become dangerous.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”