How To: Generate Superb Heightmaps :)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

BBoy Symm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BBoy Symm »

Really nice guide! I should really try that once, although I think I prefer the maps generated by the game.
RMJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RMJ »

Right, by default the DEM files we downloaded are way too detailed to be of use, so we need to 'thin' them. To do this, select File->Save DEM->Thin DEM (Decimate). Select a Thin Factor of 3. Then click File->Save DEM->ASCII Arc Grid. Save the file under a new name in the same location as the maps (S_22_09_Thin.asc) is a good suggestion, basically just add '_thin' to the filename.

Something wrong with youre guide, som such thing called "File->Save DEM->Thin DEM (Decimate)."
rup1776
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rup1776 »

I'm having the same problem as RMJ, Ive downloaded all the ASC files from google earth, and can open them in MICRODEM, however when i come to save them there is no such option as : File --> Save DEM --> Thin DEM (Decimate)

Had a look in the help file, and it confirms there should be an option as above.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Rup
2rB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2rB »

Same problem here... Seems like we have a newer version :?

Would be realy nice if someone who have knowledge about this could check it out :D
thebrightside
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thebrightside »

If you can't find it as said above try:
In the menu:
Raster Gis--> Thin DEM (Decimate)
rup1776
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rup1776 »

that worked perfectly, thanks
opopanax666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by opopanax666 »

Right, the "thin" thingy works, but in version 10 the "in-out" can't be clicked, and I haven't found the "Data Manipulation" thingy in the menus...

Somebody?
Wackyland
Population: 100 nuts & a squirrel
Ominus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ominus »

hi! I'm new to the forums but have been playing Open TTD for a week now.
i have something that might be usefull for height maps it may have been posted in another topic but i just went and discovered for myself.

there are 15 heights in OTTD each has a specific grey color for each height,
i went and found the color values for these, here they are:

Code: Select all

LVL     R     G    B
 1      30  ||30 ||30
 2      40  ||40 ||40
 3      50  ||50 ||50
 4      70  ||70 ||70
 5      90  ||90 ||90
 6      110 ||110||110
 7      120 ||120||120
 8      140 ||140||140
 9      150 ||150||150
10      170 ||170||170
11      190 ||190||190
12      200 ||200||200
13      220 ||220||220
14      230 ||230||230
15      250 ||250||250
(i put it in code so it's nicely aligned)
Now to tell you how to use these in microdem
it's a bit annoying though since i haven't found a way to add my own custom height palette.

When you are in the Elevation map options window (where you change the elevation coloring) choose Automatic chloropleth palette, its at the bottom.
then from the list find "Green to Magenta, 16 steps" and click the define button, you should leave the MAX and MIN list alone since it adapts to the dem file. Now you should enter the values from top to bottom, the highest color being the lowest height. Since the palette has 16 steps you just enter the same value in the 16th step as you did for the 15th step.

So far i have only tried this on islands and it works quite well, it shouldn't be a problem for mainland areas though.

If you have any questions about this feel free to ask and i'll try to answer them :wink:
they are amongst us, above us and below
they hear but they do not listen
they see but never look
they speak but never talk
they are our problems and our solutions
they guide us and yet not interfere
they created us and they will destroy us!!
Xo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xo »

christ i wasnt aware of openTTD before 3 days ago i didt know u could do this :O i mean this is awsum! :D
adriantr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adriantr »

Great tutorial. Managed to create a pretty decent heightmap of most of England and Wales. This has a resolution of 2048x2048. I have 4 versions in this zip file. One or two of these versions sinks East Anglia into the sea when used in OpenTTD so be careful! I intended to create an accurate map for the whole of this region but I just haven't got the time. If anyone does make a map out of this please let me know.
Attachments
hm_eng_wa.zip
4 height maps for England and Wales
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 652 times
Double P
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Double P »

Does anybody know how to add rivers to the heightmap?
I'm currently working on a north Serbia (Vojvodina) map (2048x2048) and managed to draw the main rivers by myself (in Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI), but there are so many canals and side rivers that it is impossible to do all that manually :(
Is there a way of adding or importing rivers to the heigthmap in Corel Paint Shop or in Microdem?
Attachments
Vojvodinarivers.png
This is what I done for now...
(the little dark rectangles are the real positions of towns)
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 653 times
Russell
Engineer
Engineer

Microdem website down?

Post by Russell »

I have been trying to download the microdem program for a few days now and I simply cannot access their webtsite. Can anyone give me a mirror or the actual program? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Russell
Double P
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Double P »

AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Seeing as somebody worked out the various greys and height in game thing, would it not be possible to just have a greyscale PNG image working as a map? something like Railroad Tycoon II does?

I don't know easy that would be to code in to the game (maybe part of the scenario edit) but it'd be easier in the long run I think.

On a side note, has anyone done a height map for Yorkshire and the Pennines?
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Could you how what you're suggesting is different than the current system, please?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

From what I can work out, your all using various programs ultimately generating a single image, with various encodings.

Instead of going on Google Earth exporting ASC making DEM and TIFF then PNG, just take a screenshot of the terrain, greyscale it, possibly darken it a bit then save it as a PNG. I'll make an example when i get the chance

EDIT: Sorry, every time I've tried it up to now it hasn't worked, an my attempt at the Isle of Man wasn't a completely successful heightmap (see attached)

A bit more Tweaking in PSP might help... :oops:
Attachments
The (not so good) heightmap
The (not so good) heightmap
isleofman.png (111.57 KiB) Viewed 12267 times
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
thebrightside
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thebrightside »

You idea doesn't work because aerial photos do not register high elevation as ligther(more white) than low elevation(more black. Not only that but you have to factor in clouds on some pictures, like yours. Also think of shadows created by objects such as towers or hills or the fact that a field is usually lighter than a forest. All these things determine the overal shade of a greyscale picture and none have anything to do with elevation. Dus your technique would create a flawed result no matter how hard you thinker around with it in PSP or other programs of the like.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

You got some heightmaps here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=95269 use them & enjoy the game.
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Eisenbaehr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eisenbaehr »

opopanax666 wrote:Right, the "thin" thingy works, but in version 10 the "in-out" can't be clicked, and I haven't found the "Data Manipulation" thingy in the menus...

Somebody?
The "Data Manipulation" in the menu is only available if no file is open in MICRODEM. Close MICRODEM completly, start again and you will see :)
PantyraiderZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PantyraiderZ »

Had to register just for this purpose.

So here's my results of the topic this is the heightmap for the island of Puerto Rico and its associated islands (except for Mona)...

The second attachment is the scenario that was created with the heightmap. I created the basic heightmap with the nightly, and edited the scenario under 0.5.2. The cities are placed withing a 95% accuracy, and Mona was added because I accidentally cropped it out (duh...). I left it w/o industries because it would have made the island very desolate w/o vegetation. There's space for 3 intercontinental airports on the three biggest cities, that can earn you some serious $.

-PR
Attachments
The heightmap for Puerto Rico (sans Mona)
The heightmap for Puerto Rico (sans Mona)
puertorico.png (76.39 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
UNNAMED001.scn
The Scenario... (with Mona)
(315.98 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”