[TTDP] Shared Game

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).

Current Game UK Setting. Next game...?

Britan (eg UKRS, British Town Names, RV's on Left, etc)
24%
Germany (DBXL, German signals, etc)
36%
North America (eg NABS/US Set/Can Set, RV's on right, etc)
22%
Other Europe (E.g. Serbian Trainset, or perhaps another European Trainset not in the poll)
14%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes: 85

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

[TTDP] Shared Game

Post by Raichase »

Original Idea
Raichase wrote:

Code: Select all

[14:23] <Raichase> ooh, I got an idea...
[14:23] <orudge> oh-oh
[14:23] <Raichase> have a tt-game, where we pass it around to random people every decade
[14:23] * orudge battens down the hatches
[14:23] <Raichase> ie, I play it for 10 years, then send it to DanMacK, who plays it for 10 years,
				and sends it to orudge, who plays it for 10 years and sends it to someone else
[14:23] <Raichase> and so on
So, by that I mean, someone plays a game of TTD with an aforementioned set of grf's and patch settings, for 10 TTD years, and then passes it on to the next player, who has a go.

Obviously, we'd have to formalize a list of people who would adjudicate (ie choose the ttdpatch switches, as well as the graphics sets to be used), to prevent things getting mixed up and broken, as well as a proper list and rules as to who gets the savegame next.

Play would run from 1921 to 2051.

Players would have to use the same settings and ttdpatch switches/grf's as the people before them.

Cheats would not be allowed.

Editing the game in the scenario editor would not be allowed.

Apart from that, the player would have complete control over the game for their decade. They could demolish a line built by someone else, for example, or completely rework someone elses junction if they wanted to. Posting screenshots in a special thread in the screenshots forum would be mandatory.

Currently, I'm just looking for ideas and expressions of interest. I'll probably choose a couple of trusted TTD players, whose screenshots I like (and know that they are fairly active as a TTD player) to help run this, and more than one game would be played so that everyone else would get a turn.

Throwing the floor open...

...now.
Official Rules:

1. You get the game for your allocated period of time. Feel free to keep playing beyond this time, but you need to pass your save to the next player at some time between Dec 1 and Jan 1 of your last year/their first year. If you choose to keep playing beyond your allocated period, you may, but please don't post screenies in the official topic for the game - it will only confuse spectators.
2. You must not change the ttdpatch.cfg and newgrf.cfg for each game. Feel free to add switches not on the ttdpatch.cfg (for example, you may need to have winxp compatability on, thats fine. You may not change the switches specified by this thread though.
3. Use of sign cheats, the debugger, or the scenario editor is not allowed. We have ways to check if these things have been done.
4. If you miss out on the timeslot you wanted, or miss out on a round completely, please don't get annoyed. Depending on how popular it is (ie, if Game 1 fills up), there will be more rounds run, so everyone will have a chance to play.
5. Please don't get excited if someone removes a train you built, or a line you constructed. After you pass on the game, you relinquish all control over it, and anything in it.
6. Feel free to name trains/towns/stations etc as your mind permits it.
7. Please try to play in a manner that respects all kinds of play - ie, just because you like playing with giant cloverleaf junctions, please don't spend all the games money on it with no need to. If such a junction is required, then by all means do it!
8. While playing, please post screenshots in this thread, so we can watch the game unfold. Feel free to discuss changes you've made, and introduce a story to how you're playing the game.
9. I suggest changing the name of the company, and the company colours of all the vehicles to your chosen colours. As, from a story point of view, this poor company is being sold to a new group every year. So, it's not unrealistic to have red planes in 1989, and blue planes in 1996...
9. Please have fun :)).

Those people interested, please post in the thread about your preferred time frame to play in. First in best dressed, I'm afraid.

Players List for Round 1:
  • 1921-1931: Raichase Savegame Here
    1931-1941: DanMacK Savegame Here
    1941-1951: Singaporekid Savegame Here
    1951-1961: m3henry Savegame Here
    1961-1971: orudge Savegame Here
    1971-1981: WhiteHand
    1981-1991: RPharazon
    1991-2001: Ameecher
    2001-2011: Roboboy
    2011-2021: Flamelord
    2021-2031: Jonty-Comp
    2031-2041: 2-10-0
    2041-2051: Weirdy
TTDpatch.cfg for Game 1: Here(proposed ttdpatch.cfg here)

Newgrfs for Game 1 (UK Setting): here)

Suggested Game Options for Game 1:

Suggested Difficulty Settings for Game 1:

Last edited by Raichase on 24 Mar 2007 09:33, edited 31 times in total.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'm in :D Sounds like it'd be a blast.
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

I'm in.

How are we going to make sure that the participants have standardized graphics/settings and so on?
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Well, we have no way of knowing, but obviously, those who want to play in the game, will want to do so, and will abide by the rules. Otherwise, why bother playing, because the previous person will just pass on their save again...

E.g., if Jack plays up till 1931 with the UKRS and gives it to Jill, who de-activates UKRS and puts in DBXL. She plays, and then sends it to Steve, who complains. Jack then sends his game to Steve, and Steve plays from 1931-1941 instead.

Looking through the TTDPatch manual, some of the things we will need to agree on, are:

Saveoptionaldata - This should be on, just to be sure we don't have any newgrf snaffles. Besides, TTD savegames are TINY.

Autorenew - Do we want it on or off?

Autoreplace - I'm going to say no on this one, as we have our own styles with buying trains, which is more interesting...

Freighttrains - Depending on the set really. The only one I wouldn't want to see on 5 would be the UKRS, but it depends on how many interested parties want to use it at all.

Planespeed - I assume a lot of people would want to use av8, so we'd need to have planespeed on, but we'd have to agree on a level.

Autoslope - It's just not TTDPatch without it anymore. Does anyone consider this cheating? Does anyone have any thoughts about the price multiplier?

Enhance Tunnels - I love them, but does everyone?

PBS - Can we trust each other to use PBS properly?

How would we set the town growth switches? I like smaller towns, but some players prefer the challenge of moving hundreds of passengers?

Not to mention, what kind of graphics packs do we want to use? Should I set up a poll as to the "scenario" (ie Britishland, Germanland, Americanland etc)?

Do we have a preferance of climate?
Last edited by Raichase on 10 Mar 2007 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Raichase wrote:Saveoptionaldata - This should be on, just to be sure we don't have any newgrf snaffles. Besides, TTD savegames are TINY.
Sure. Don't really know what that is, but what the hell?
Autoreplace - I'm going to say no on this one, as we have our own styles with buying trains, which is more interesting...
I'm also saying no. I don't know how to use it anyways. :D
Freighttrains - Depending on the set really. The only one I wouldn't want to see on 5 would be the UKRS, but it depends on how many interested parties want to use it at all.
I use 8 on UKRS (Is that bad?), but any setting from 2 to 12 would be good.
Planespeed - I assume a lot of people would want to use av8, so we'd need to have planespeed on, but we'd have to agree on a level.
I play without planespeed on. It sort of destroys the purpose of helicopters and blimps, but it's more fun and challenging creating successful aircraft routes that don't clog up the place.
Autoslope - It's just not TTDPatch without it anymore. Does anyone consider this cheating? Does anyone have any thoughts about the price multiplier?
Yes. I didn't know there was a price multiplier, but I'd prefer the multiplier off.
I like them. They prove handy. :D
You advanced players can do whatever you want. I simply won't touch PBS, and if I add anything, it'll be more trains/vehicles/planes or non-PBS routes.
How would we set the town growth switches? I like smaller towns, but some players prefer the challenge of moving hundreds of passengers?
I like towns with profitable passenger counts. It can be small, or it can be big, but there's nothing like watching a town grow around its station and force you to make do with the few station lines you have.
Not to mention, what kind of graphics packs do we want to use? Should I set up a poll as to the "scenario" (ie Britishland, Germanland, Americanland etc)?
I'd prefer British-style play. Canadian-style play would be nice also. :P
I like Temperate. Arctic is a big ugly, and Tropical makes me feel bad because I usually can't get water to the towns. :lol:

Just my 2 cents. :wink:
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

RPharazon wrote:
Raichase wrote:Saveoptionaldata - This should be on, just to be sure we don't have any newgrf snaffles. Besides, TTD savegames are TINY.
Sure. Don't really know what that is, but what the hell?
Well, as I understand it, it saves newgrf information into the savegame, so if we swap games, and someone forgets to turn UKRS (or whatever) on before loading the game, nothing will break.

Besides, it couldn't hurt :D.
I'm also saying no. I don't know how to use it anyways. :D
I think it's GRF specified. I remember patchman working on an addon GRF that activated it for DBXL, so that when a train got old, and went to autorenew, it would upgrade itself to a newer model. Not sure how many major sets out there support this though...
I use 8 on UKRS (Is that bad?), but any setting from 2 to 12 would be good.
I most commonly use 5, but with the UKRS I use 2, simply because those trains are too weak :tongue:. Granted, 5 is probably going to be the preferred option, because thats the most common, and the most realistic.
I play without planespeed on. It sort of destroys the purpose of helicopters and blimps, but it's more fun and challenging creating successful aircraft routes that don't clog up the place.
I'm currently using Planespeed 4, which seems to work alright. I see it as the planes being so expensive that they are worth their high speeds, but I'm not fussed - I'll go with whatever the majority would like on this one.
Yes. I didn't know there was a price multiplier, but I'd prefer the multiplier off.
Fair enough. I play with the maximum multiplier on, but I'm open for turning it off - might make things a bit more interesting when building junctions :P.
I like them. They prove handy. :D
Seconded. Although, I don't see them in many screenshots...
You advanced players can do whatever you want. I simply won't touch PBS, and if I add anything, it'll be more trains/vehicles/planes or non-PBS routes.
I agree - I think the people that don't understand something in the game will just avoid it as much as possible. If the player before me builds some massive junction, I'll probably avoid doing anything to it, incase I break it.
I like towns with profitable passenger counts. It can be small, or it can be big, but there's nothing like watching a town grow around its station and force you to make do with the few station lines you have.
Again, I'm like you - at the end of the day, I'm open to whatever, provided the map is fun to play on :)).
I'd prefer British-style play. Canadian-style play would be nice also. :P
I've added a poll to the first post, but I have yet to add "Japan" as a qualifier. If you've already voted, please do so again :tongue:.

EDIT: Hmm, the poll didn't break when I added the option... Cool.
I like Temperate. Arctic is a big ugly, and Tropical makes me feel bad because I usually can't get water to the towns. :lol:
Agreed.
ImageImage
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

can I play when the pendos/voyagers come out.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

robotboy wrote:can I play when the pendos/voyagers come out.
Well, thats assuming we use the UKRS...

Please select a timeframe :))
ImageImage
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

that time frame since its about curent timeframe. so whenever they come out even if we dont use the UKRS.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

2001 - 2011 should do you then.
ImageImage
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

2041-2051 please.
Ooooooo, what fun this'll be! :twisted:
Last known as: Weirdy
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

You can count me in for 1991 to 2001. If you'll have me! :P

I usually use freight trains 3 and I agree with all the other switches. Oh and I don't mind DBSetXL but I prefer UKRS!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Weirdy wrote:2041-2051 please.
You got it!
Ooooooo, what fun this'll be! :twisted:
I hope so, yes :]
Ameecher wrote:You can count me in for 1991 to 2001. If you'll have me! :P
Of course you're welcome to play!
I usually use freight trains 3 and I agree with all the other switches. Oh and I don't mind DBSetXL but I prefer UKRS!
I hope you voted in the poll then ;).

I think I'll have a poll as to the freight trains switch, that seems to be the only switch we have different opinions on :)). I think 3 would be a nice balance.
ImageImage
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

souonds great!
put me up for a round.
1951-61 is a good era for me

free beer for all players to keep the imagination strong :wink: :)
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

You got it m3henry!

I'll draw up a sample newgrf.cfg based on the poll, and a ttdpatch.cfg with the essentials in it (obviously, you're free to change things like the resolution and whatnot) in the next couple of days. We can discuss those, then when all the players are happy, we'll get started!
ImageImage
orudge_roaming
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by orudge_roaming »

Can I put myself in for 1961-71 please? ;)

As for switches, patches, etc, I'd suggest freighttrains between 3 and 5, and in my opinion, planespeed no greater than 2 - if they're zipping around at 4, it just seems a little over-the-top. Otherwise, everything people have said here seems fine.

Temperate and UKRS sound good to me.
Owen Rudge (roaming admin account)
http://www.tt-forums.net/
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

It would seem that UK theming is winning the poll slightly. :D
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Raichase wrote:You got it m3henry!

I'll draw up a sample newgrf.cfg based on the poll, and a ttdpatch.cfg with the essentials in it (obviously, you're free to change things like the resolution and whatnot) in the next couple of days. We can discuss those, then when all the players are happy, we'll get started!
What about the actual GRF files? I'm not really up to date with those and don't want to search for endless hours for them. Will they be provided in a zip file or something? :)
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

This is a great idea! I'd very much like to participate in a future round with the DBSetXL, since I don't have any experiences with the UKRS.

Besides, has anyone mentioned which Patch version should be used (Beta or Nightlies)? I'd prefer the Beta for simplification.
RPharazon wrote:Will they be provided in a zip file or something?
This is a good suggestion. Just to ensure that every player uses the same set of GRFs.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Pug
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pug »

I would really like to join this one in the future as well. I've seen there are a couple of spots left, but I don't have any experience with UKRS in the future (2010+). So I'll just pass this one and I hope I can join another round sometime.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”