OpenTTD 0.5.0 (Final)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

OpenTTD 0.5.0 (Final)

Post by Darkvater »

On behalf of the OpenTTD team I am proud to present you OpenTTD 0.5.0 Final.
Those who have been us since the release candidates, we thank you for your diligent testing and bugreporting. For the users who are only venturing to upgrade from 0.4.8, you will see a *LOT* of changes, all for the better. The various RC's have already talked about this, but let me restate the biggest changes since 0.4.8:
  • Elrails: support for a fourth rail type, electrified rails with catenaries.
  • YAPF: a lean-mean C++ pathfinder with far superiour performance to NPF and the original pathfinder
  • TGP: a customizable random land generator
  • UTF8: full unicode support throughout openttd (display, input and output)
  • NewGRF: newstations, newsounds, I18n and many more fixes and features
  • Multiplayer: MP stability has greatly improved, desyncs diminished
Internationalisation has also greatly come along with new official languages such as Bulgarian, Esperanto, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Traditional Chinese and Ukrainian. Translators have done a great job, thank you for your hard work!

Downloads over at http://www.openttd.org/downloads.php Please be patient while SF distributes the files and we compile more binaries.

Link to RC5 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC5
Link to RC4 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC4
Link to RC3 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC3
Link to RC2 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC2
Link to RC1 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC1

We would like to repost here some points you might want to keep in mind (from RC1):
  1. Win9x will ONLY work with MSLU, the MS Unicode layer. You need to download this file from Microsoft and either put it into your OpenTTD directory or into windows\system. Don't worry, you'll know when you did something wrong (OpenTTD will complain about missing 'sample.cat' and all other files).
  2. With UNICODE support it is possible to support non-latin languages such as Chinese. However also other languages like Russian or Hungarian can benefit from this. When you select these languages you will most likely see '?' instead of some characters. This is because the sprites don't have glyphs for these characters. You need to shut down OpenTTD, and edit your configuration file. After the small/medium/large -_font = line add your favourite font (by name or by path) and restart OpenTTD. Recommended fonts are 'Tahoma Bold', 'Bitstream Vera Bold' but you can also use 'Comic Sans MS' if you like.
  3. Please look at './configure -h' if you compile openttd yourself. Most options are turned on by default, but you probably want iconv as well. Check that you have fontconfig if you are planning to use fontnames in the configuration file instead of a path to a font.
  4. NewGRF usage information are saved within the savegame. The list of missing files is printed to the debug window and shown as 'disabled' ingame with an error message. All GRF files should be put in a (subdirectory of) data where OpenTTD will find them automatically and use if needed. You can also change grf files during gameplay, but be warned, it can crash your game!. Multiplayer games enforce grf-correctness up to binary-equality.
  5. Patch settings are also saved with the savegame, but not all. Patches that only affect the GUI like snap-window-radius are not saved. This mechanism allows players to share their savegames, use the same configuration yet still have their own preferences when playing.
  6. If you want to compile OpenTTD yourself under Windows, please download the latest openttd-useful package as it contains all needed libraries.
Known issues for 0.5.0:
  • If the sound is choppy on Windows Vista, you might want to increase the soundbuffer by adding some parameters to the command path:

Code: Select all

openttd.exe -s win32:bufsize=2048
    2048bytes will double the buffer size. This solves the problem for most people. You can experience with various sizes to see what fits you best, but be aware that a too big buffer-size will make sounds lag.
Changes since RC5:
[list]
[*]- Feature: Add the ability to load newer TTDP games (the tile information for coasts has changed) (r8738)
[*]- Feature: Selecting "end of orders" and deleting will delete all the vehicle's orders (shared mode unchanged) (r8685)
[*]- Codechange: Call GetFirstVehicleInChain only for trains thus increasing performance in large games (r8744)
[*]- Fix: Possible crashes, problems with aircraft and airport removal (r8921)
[*]- Fix: Do not show the 'edit sign' window for spectators (r8808)
[*]- Fix: Adhere order types for ship order insertion to determine destination type (r8802)
[*]- Fix: It was possible to take over buoys by building a station next to them (r8794)
[*]- Fix: Cloning unaware of articulated locomotives that could refit without refitting the front unit (r8777)
[*]- Fix: Loading times for overhanging trains are miscomputed (r8709)[/list]

List of fixes for bugs that were introduced after 0.4.8/RC5:
Changes since RC5:
[list]
[*]- Fix: [UTF8] Win9x is very picky about trailing slashes in paths, so C:\\* will not work (r8919)
[*]- Fix: Stricter checks for CmdMoveRailVehicle() parameters to curb possible abuse (r8878)
[*]- Fix: [YAPF] Large Train Stations/Trains causes assert due to wrong cost calculation (r8869)
[*]- Fix: [NewGRF] Ignore 1 byte action 0s during safety check (r8865)
[*]- Fix: Fix an off-by-one error in GRFComment (r8843)
[*]- Fix: [YAPF] Don't tell destination was found if it was only guessed (r8836)
[*]- Fix: Load station rectangle for all savegames, not only after version 27 (r8828)
[*]- Fix: [UTF8] Unable to browse directories on *nix if the filesystem is not in UTF-8 charset and special characters are used (r8821, r8823, r8824)
[*]- Fix: Correct spelling of real french townnames and 'remove' a duplicate (r8793)
[*]- Fix: Be more strict about grf-string input (r8792, r8825)
[*]- Fix: Unable to load TTDP (on *NIX) games (r8784)
[*]- Fix: [YAPF] Rail station platform penalty not calculated properly (r8766)
[*]- Fix: Crash when an old savegame had buoys on the northern edge of the map (r8689)
[*]- Fix: Assertion when getting the height of a bridge from the ramp tile [FS#617] (r8687)
[*]- Fix: Bool (uint32 in PPC) was written to as a uint8 (r8684)
[*]- Fix: Add stubs for unsupported newgrf station properties (r8526)
[/list]
Last edited by Darkvater on 03 Mar 2007 12:17, edited 3 times in total.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Open Addict
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Open Addict »

dev's are legends and will go into the history books. thanks, i shall get it straight away.
Energy - You use it, You pay for it.
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

A very big thanks to all the devs and the translators! And of course to all users that reported bugs and made suggestions!
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
RvL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RvL »

Great work with this Final! Too bad that the DirectSound driver isn't implemented yet, but I understand there is still some developing to do on the driver.

For anyone who's experiencing stuttering sound in Windows Vista, here is a simple 'fix'. Start the game like this:

Code: Select all

openttd -s win32:bufsize=2048 
This increases (to be exact, it doubles) the soundbuffer. You may experience some lag in sound, but this is very minimal.

Again, my compliments to all the developers!
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Woohoo! Congratulations to the devs for this release! I'll install it right away before I go to sleep. :P
Sleepie
Director
Director

Re: OpenTTD 0.5.0 (Final)

Post by Sleepie »

Congratulations to all devs for the final release :)

I noticed a little typo (see below), looks like a copy & paste thing :P
Darkvater wrote: Link to RC4 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC5
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Mr. X wrote:Woohoo! Congratulations to the devs for this release! I'll install it right away before I go to sleep. :P
Like that will make you sleep :P
Sleepie wrote:I noticed a little typo (see below), looks like a copy & paste thing :P
Darkvater wrote: Link to RC4 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC5
fixed
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

thanks to all of you !
All of you are heroes!
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

RvL wrote:Great work with this Final! Too bad that the DirectSound driver isn't implemented yet, but I understand there is still some developing to do on the driver.
I've added this workaround to the starting post if some people were not familiar with it. The DirectSound driver is in essence finished, the problem is that the sound gets or can get annoying clicks during gameplay. HMage helpfully explained to me that this is most likely due to a bug in DirectSound when resampling audio and MS is not inclined to fix this or so he/google made me believe. I do not know what Vista does. Please continue discussion on Vista and Sound in the "Sound very choppy in Windows Vista" thread.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Bjarni wrote:
Mr. X wrote:Woohoo! Congratulations to the devs for this release! I'll install it right away before I go to sleep. :P
Like that will make you sleep :P
You were right, I had to check it out first. :mrgreen:

Great work guys! :)
LaPingvino
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LaPingvino »

Comment on internationalization and fonts: maybe good to mention that Arial Unicode MS is almost the only font widely available on computers which supports all languages of OpenTTD...

For Esperanto, a pre-configured file is available at http://tinyurl.com/y44e8l (http://esperanto.wikia.com/wiki/OpenTTD), which will also work for e.g. Russian :). (Direct link to the file, containing the graphics, sounds and a pre-configured config-file: [Edit TrueLight] By policy it is not allowed to post links to files containing original graphics. They are copyrighted, and you should have the original game yourself to copy them over. [/Edit])
Mi tradukis OpenTTD al Esperanto :)! Ĉu vi bezonas helpon? Mesaĝu min!

Playing my own translation :).
Alendo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alendo »

Yes great, though i wish it was possible to have signals on/under bridges and in tunnels :? and possible to see tunnels when in transparent buildings mode :D
DarkFenX
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkFenX »

Signals under bridges are possible, ain't them?
And, i translate game into russian with tahoma (or sth like it) font in mind. Afair arial isn't best choice.
Shame that MS doesn't distribute tahoma freely like it does with verdana, arial, etc.
- It's hot as hell in here.
- You see it too? For me, it's always like this.
-------------------
Jabber: DarkFenX@jabber.org
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

DarkFenX wrote:Signals under bridges are possible, ain't them?
Not in 0.5.0, only in the nightlies.
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Orc JMR
Engineer
Engineer

Unicode sprite font?

Post by Orc JMR »

As long as we're on the subjefct of translation... Is it possible (and wise) to extend the original sprite font with other charsets? I've failed to find a russian font that looks any good 5px high (and i'm afraid to think what hieroglyph-based language would look like).

I'd like to assist in development (got fair C++ skills), but've got no time at all... No more than for drawing sprite fonts during moments of peace :)
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

About russian font look there and there. The russian sprite font was lacking «ё» character support, but I don't know what is current situation — you can add that character if you like :)
thetitan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thetitan »

awesome. now i have to wait for the work day to end, before i can go hoem and install the new release.
AlexW
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexW »

awesome. now i have to wait for the work day to end, before i can go hoem and install the new release.
Definitely a familiar feeling!

Congrats to Devs, great work as always.
Hooked on Transport Tycoon since 1994
klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by klogg »

I'd like to thank all of the devs and people involved in the project
for the very good work they have done again.

Thank you very much for this fine new release.

klogg
President
President

Post by WWW »

my mistake...
Last edited by WWW on 28 Feb 2007 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General OpenTTD”