[OTTD] Scenarios

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I made seperate versions of OpenTTD for each set of GRFs that I wanted to use - it avoids any sets conflicting with each other. OpenTTD isn't that big, so I wasn't really wasting space on my hard drive, and I could easily say I wanted to play a UK game, or a US game, or a DB game...
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Gebbe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gebbe »

Thanks, that's a nice idea! ;)

Gebbe
V
Engineer
Engineer

Post by V »

I'm looking for a map to play with large-scale use of ships, but with rest as well. Could anyone suggest a scenario?

Specifically, I'm looking for something best around 1024x1024, maybe down to 512x512 or up to 1024x2048. A map with towns and industries, and, of course, a lot of water - broad rivers or islands. Not some extremity, a normal lifelike map, but where ships can get across, maybe Japan or islands in Pacific, but doesn't have to be real.

Any ideas on such a map, in this thread or elsewhere?

Also, which version would you suggest to play with for such a game (ship-focused) - r0.50, miniIN, older IN, or maybe you have a ready build with good ship mods? Or which ship mods can be set up without recompiling the game?
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Hey, you! You with the scenario editor!
And all of yous with interest in maintaining the Wiki.

Me, T-Unit and JameiLei have been collaborating to create a consistent Wiki database for OpenTTD scenarios. Here's what it would look like: List of player-made scenarios

As you can see, so far we have created merely a basic structure for listing the various scenarios in this thread and elsewhere. There is still a lot of work to be done, categorizing all the various listings etc.

However, now we need YOUR help. We are about to form a sort of a "Scenarios Team" at the wiki, a batch of like-minded people who would every once in a while take a look at the wikipage AND this thread and make corrections/additions/alterations where appropriate. So we are looking for people who would be willing to help us out. If you are interested in this, take a look at the Scenarios Team page at the wiki. If you decide to join, do please drop us a note so we know who is in. :)

We also need the help of scenario authors: if you have listed a scenario here, we'd also like you to list it at the wiki page. You don't even need a wiki account for that, just surf at the List and do the following:
  • Take a screenshot showing the minimap of your scenario (preferably medium-size, in PNG). Example
  • Take a screenshot showing a detail you like about the scenario you are about to list. Again, preferably medium-size, and in PNG. Example
  • Name the above files logically and upload them to the wiki here.
  • Add the following code under the relevant categories (Example):

Code: Select all

{{scenario
    |title=Your Scenario
    |minimap=name-of-your-minimap.png
    |screenshot=name-of-your-screenshot.png
    |description=A few words about your scenario. Geography, different strategies, and so on.
    |difficulty=Easy/Normal/Hard
    |setting=[[Temperate]] / [[Sub-tropical]] / [[Sub-arctic]] / [[Toyland]]
    |size=256x256
    |relief=
    |towns=No. of towns. Low/Normal/High
    |industries=No. of industries. Low/Normal/High
    |realworld=Is your scenario based on any real location? Where?
    |version=your.openttd.version
    |download_url=http://url.to.your/scenario.scn
    }}

• Done!
By adding all the scenarios in this thread to the wikipages, we'll be making it a lot easier for newcomers to search and download new scenarios. By adding your scenarios, you'll be making a valuable contribution to the wiki.

Oh, and don't worry about making mistakes - we'll spot and fix them afterwards. The important thing right now is to get scenarios listed at the wikipages.
Last edited by Jupix on 16 Feb 2007 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

I like the idea Jupix. I also like making custom scenarios, I can't even remember when I have played on a random generated map :wink: So I would like to contribute.

Well I have some questions:

1. I haven't any webspace where I can store my stuff. So is there a possibilty to upload it to some central place?
2. What about newgrfs? Should all scenarios made without special newgrfs or is it sufficient to provide the needed informations and download links to the grfs which are used in the scenario?
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

#1 We asked MiHaMiX, the wiki admin, and he said they cannot be hosted at the wiki, but he will look into an another way of centralizing the scenario files. In the mean time, though, the files can be hosted here at the forums or you can send them to me and I will host them @ jupix.info.

#2 Good question, perhaps we should add a "Required newgrfs" row to the template. Until we figure out what it should look like, you can just list the grfs in the description field and link to them.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Jupix wrote: #2 Good question, perhaps we should add a "Required newgrfs" row to the template. Until we figure out what it should look like, you can just list the grfs in the description field and link to them.
I wonder what solution would be the best:

A. making vanilla style scenarios and some additional comments by the author with recommendation which grfs the scenario would work best with
- or -
B. making scenarios with all grfs already applied and comments where to get those :roll:

I have no clue what option most people would prefer? But that's important I think (to ensure a common style). Maybe a poll could help? What do you think?
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Since playing Multiplayer has the server-present newgrfs as a necessity to join, I don't think many people will mind if the newgrfs are needed to play the scenarios as it kind of already goes on in that way.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Personally I think a lot of people only have a vanilla OTTD, thus wanting vanilla style scenarios. Scenarios with an absolute requirement for newgrfs would be a bit of a hassle.

My vote goes for listing only scenarios which require no newgrfs. For others, we could have a separate page in the wiki.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Jupix wrote:Personally I think a lot of people only have a vanilla OTTD, thus wanting vanilla style scenarios. Scenarios with an absolute requirement for newgrfs would be a bit of a hassle.

My vote goes for listing only scenarios which require no newgrfs. For others, we could have a separate page in the wiki.
Ok, then I will make my ones in vanilla style and write some comments as a suggestion what grfs I would have used with the scenario. This lets people choose to follow my suggestions or use something else.

Maybe we should then have some short tutorial how to apply grfs to a downloaded vanilla style scenario or point to the appropriate manual section in the wiki (if it already exists :wink: ).
mikeel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikeel »

i also think that the posted scenarioes must be compatible with the last ottd release (0.5.0rc5 now) and with no newgrfs required.

for the hosting, i think that we can continue to upload here the scenarious, also useful for improve our works.

i've uploaded my scenario - if i made mistakes, tell me.

a question: with "relief" what do you mean?
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

mikeel wrote:i've uploaded my scenario - if i made mistakes, tell me.

a question: with "relief" what do you mean?
No, you did good :)
Only one thing:
Quantity of Towns: No. of towns. High
Quantity of Industries: No. of industries. High
There's supposed to be just the word High after the colon. I fixed it for you.

As for what relief means, I'm not actually sure. :oops: I'll have to ask T-Unit, the original poster of the template. I'll get back to you on this.
#################
mikeel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikeel »

other question:
i must put the templeate of my scenario in each category or only a link?
mikeel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mikeel »

other thing-i undestand wat relief means: flatland, hilly, mountain (wasn't so difficult, in effect :oops:). But i think that u must add antother category: mixed, of course, becouse real-scenarios, as italy, contains, mountains ziones, flat zones and so. and what 'rolling' means?

(i know, i'm quite boring with all this questions. i promise i'll stop)
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

mikeel wrote:other question:
Yes, one copy of the template in each category.
other thing-i undestand wat relief means: flatland, hilly, mountain (wasn't so difficult, in effect :oops:).
Ah yes, that's most probably it. Don't know why I didn't figure that out.
But i think that u must add antother category: mixed, of course, becouse real-scenarios, as italy, contains, mountains ziones, flat zones and so.
Good idea. And of course you're free to add it yourself :)
and what 'rolling' means?
I'm not sure of that one either.... Judging from its position in the list of categories, it's something between flat and hilly.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Jupix wrote:
mikeel wrote:other question:
Yes, one copy of the template in each category.
But wouldn't that be just a nightmare to maintain? Maybe I have misunderstood how the categories should work, but if I want to change the informations for one of my scenarios I want do this only at one place.

I thought about a system like this:

Make a separate wiki-page with the above template to describe your scenario. Also make wiki-links on this page to categories it belongs to.

Finally every category page contains some wiki-code like '<FullSearch("CategoryName")> so all scenario pages that belongs to this category will be automaitcally listed there.

At my company we have an OpenWiki system running and have 'implemented' categories like this.

Example:

The code of the scenario page would look something like this:

== My Temperate Scenario Example ==

... description goes here ....

----
CategoryTemperate CategoryMedium
The code of the Temperate scenarios page (page name have to be CategoryTemperate) would look like this:

=== Category Temperate Scenarios ===

This category contains all available temperate scenarios....

If you want to add your scenario to this category just put 'CategoryTemperate' at the bottom of your scenario page.

== List of scenarios in this category ==

<FullSearch("CategoryTemperate")>

The example code is based on OpenWiki tags, but I'm sure you can do this also with MediaWiki.

If I missed something than please correct me. Other thoughts or suggestions?

Edit 1: added some missing words (I wrote too fast)

Edit 2: Another solution to prevent maintaining issues would be using wiki-tags like <Include("MyScenarioPage")> in the appropriate category pages. Maybe this solution is much closer to the original idea behind the category system.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

We discussed that (EDIT: Here) and came into the conclusion that the way the scenarios are currently organized is better.

Single scenario pages would naturally be easier to maintain, but despite that, 1) the current listings are easier to navigate and prettier than the wiki category defaults and 2) it would be tiring to click on every scenario separately just to see its screenshots & info. Also, IMO, the current system is more accessible to wiki newbies in the respect of adding new scenarios, as people don't have to create a new page for every new scenario and tag it correctly.

Those are the reasons for choosing this list style.
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Ah, I see, no problem at all :wink: What about the Include feature I mentioned in Edit 2 in my above post?
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Well, with that, a new page would still have to created for new scenarios.

Also, the OpenTTD wiki is a MediaWiki. Does it have such a feature? I only know about templates..
#################
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

Yep, that new page for every new scenario would be still there. Maybe its possible to allow both options or the wiki team make the necessary maintenance changes.
I just read through the discussion you've linked. If you want, I'll join the team to help maintain the wiki.

Well I'm a newbie to MediaWiki, but I assume that the Include feature is some kind of standard to all common wiki systems. I might be wrong. I'll do a research to clear this.

So far Sleepie

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”