New NFO Editor version 1.2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

New NFO Editor version 1.2.0

Post by Andrex »

Despite how odd it may sound, the NFO Editor is no longer discontinued.

In order to keep this program useable after the changes on the GRFCodec (long ago, indeed), I'm releasing this updated version.

In general terms, these are the updates on NFO Editor version 1.2.0:
  • Resolved problem loading NFO's with inverted slash on PCX path
  • Sprites cannot be X or Y-positioned on values lower than 0px. This fixes crash when moving outside sprites outside PCX position.
  • Position buttons are now graphical, this ensures they are properly displayed regardless of system's Regional Settings
  • Program no longer crashes when opening sprites from an NFO with no PCX on the specified path, an error is shown instead.
  • More integration with the grid window, current sprite will be autoselected on grid
  • PCX to BMP conversion will never be performed twice for same file when switching PCX conversion mode after loading NFO
  • Added ability to load a custom background from external BMP, GIF or JPG
  • Fixed integration with the GRF Wizard to save and encode GRF (by removing last slash from sprites path)
  • The program now remembers more settings (axis and frame settings, recent paths)
  • Updated web shortcuts on the Help menu
Fixing critical errors on this program was easier than I expected, I should have corrected those as soon as I received DaleStan's warnings via PM long ago, but I didn't work on that because I was decided to discontinue it.

I might not use the program anymore, but I did use it heavily when making new graphics, so I'd like to keep it working. In case errors are found, don't hesitate to post here, send PM, or drop me an email from the program's About dialog, to see what I can do.
Attachments
nfoe120.gif
nfoe120.gif (65.43 KiB) Viewed 12703 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: New NFO Editor version 1.2.0

Post by DaleStan »

Andrex wrote:Fixing critical errors on this program was easier than I expected
That's always a pleasant surprise. Good to see an update; I too, found NFOEditor very useful when first doing PlaneSet work.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

When trying this program with some of my nfo files, it completely ignored the offsets, size and position of the sprites I had already set in the nfo.
Mainly road tile sprites and | vehicle sprites, is this a bug or intentional?

Code: Select all

example sprite code for reference
   -1 .\UKRoadset.pcx    1   38 09 31 64 -31 0
Also sometimes the little buttons at the bottom for changing sprite stop working and don't redraw correctly.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Make sure to decode the GRF file using the GRF Wizard, the line you posted is from an NFO decoded with special parameters.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Last I checked, GRFWizard did not support the -c, -x, -xx, or -t options.

And there is absolutely nothing special about "grfcodec -d test.grf", yet NFOEditor utterly fails to comprehend the resultant line: "11 sprites/test.pcx 194 8 01 1 1 1 1".

If you need an NFO parser, there's a perfectly good, GPLed one living in both NFORenum and GRFCodec. You already have my permission to use it, and GRFCodec can make perfect sense of that line. (NFORenum doesn't try, but probably could too.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Slider on right side don't works as intended. When I click it, arrows on top and botom disappear and when I try to move slider, I change window size. Interesting thing is that when I click on left-right arrows on bottom, sider moves up-down (as should be).
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Yes I also had problems with the right slider but mainly on Windows 98, the problem is just a redraw issue because the slider is still there. Both right and bottom sliders actually do the same thing.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I have a slight problem with this.
Program runs no problems, under Win 98SE (and on ME, on a separate computer).
But the DLL file msimg32.dll is not found, despite my copying it to where it's supposed to be, which means that pseudo-sprites are fine - but other sprites crash the program as soon as it tries to display the graphics, telling me (Direct quote, instead of screenshot - due to poor connection where I am)
Run-time error '48'
File not found: msimg32.dll
The dll file is in the system folder, where, as far as I know, all dll files are supposed to be, and is also in the same folder as the NFO editor itself.
And now, I'm going to stop waffling on, and see what solutions you can drop on me. Aren't I nice?
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

DaleStan wrote:That's always a pleasant surprise. Good to see an update; I too, found NFOEditor very useful when first doing PlaneSet work.
:shock:

how? what? you're... positive!

nah, just kidding DaleStan. anyhoo, that looks quality nice Andrex, even i, with my very limited knowledge of the entire coding-aspect can tell. and good to see you're a full-scale back and kicking rectum.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Gremnon wrote:The dll file is in the system folder, where, as far as I know, all dll files are supposed to be, and is also in the same folder as the NFO editor itself.
And now, I'm going to stop waffling on, and see what solutions you can drop on me. Aren't I nice?
I had the same problem as well on W98SE, and now it works somehow. Probably because I installed IE6 and all the Window Update patches, so try that.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Already done, no difference. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't about time I got around to upgrading a bit, but I don't have the time at the moment.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Andrex wrote:Yes I also had problems with the right slider but mainly on Windows 98, the problem is just a redraw issue because the slider is still there. Both right and bottom sliders actually do the same thing.
I forgot to tell :oops: I'm using win xp professional sp2 (if that is sgnificant data for you).
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.

Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Try using this version, which is a bit newer than the one distributed with the program.
Attachments
msimg32.zip
v5.1.2600.2180
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Just tried it and....
File not found.
That is, the program can't find it, not my browser trying to d/l it.
And the MSN messanger tells me that that version is damaged, and then won't start, not that I use it all that often anyway.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I hate to reply to myself, but I think I've worked out that it's NOT the dll file to fault.
Firstly, the dll file (msimg32, if I remember correctly) needed won't work with MSN messenger unless it's the version from win98.
Secondly, no matter which version of the dll I use, the program still throwsup the same error: File not found.
If it can't find the file, no matter where you put it, doesn't that mean there's a problem with the code in the program?
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I still have same problem with right slider after downloading file.

Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Well you'll have to use the other slider for now, sorry. But ensure you have the latest VB6 SP6 runtime libraries which might help.

Regarding the DLL, I was told at CodeGuru that the file should be located in one of the folders defined at the environment variables settings (this can be found on System Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables)

When I reinstall VB here I'll post a new version which might solve that problem, and it's the last thing I can do about that so I hope it works.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Hello, I'm sorry to bring up a topic so old..

But I have started to work with this tool lately and found it very good..

So Is this tool no longer developed?

Return to “Graphics Development”