Sid Meier's Railroads Game

Discuss the Railroad Tycoon series of games in this forum.
Woulfe
Engineer
Engineer

Patch Out Now

Post by Woulfe »

Railroads has a patch avaible for it to fix the issues folks have been haveing with the game.

I think it's on Fraxis or 2K's site currently.

I just DLed it today and thought you'd all like to know.

Woulfe
< = < <=) The Supertrain Chief (=> > = >
PaulaGreen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PaulaGreen »

Yes you can d/l it here: http://tinyurl.com/y3w4vy

Also there are some mods you can download if you want to have bigger maps or tenders on your trains:

http://www.hookedforums.com/a/viewforum.php?f=32
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

As I posted in another thread, I've started to like the game a bit more.

You feel that it's firaxis that is creators of the game, as it's a solid product. Though the size of the maps is probably the limiter of replayability. If I play w/o opponents, I tend to fill the map with every resource before half-way in the time period. And that is on the mogul-level.

And of course, a die hard TTD/RRT fan like me, needs more resources, more complexity, more detailed eras (not a new train popping up every 5 minute). Might be a result from playing on a 486, TTD took almost an hour per year ;)
I'm lost in space. Visiting mother earth once in a while.
davidpk212
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davidpk212 »

I think this is a brilliant game. It's only crashed on me twice out of however many times i've played it now, and the graphics are awesome.

When I saw the open menu, I immediately said, out loud, "Wow!". And my sister agreed. The Graphics are beautiful, apart from the smoke effects which are a tinsy bit cartoonish and RCT-Minirailway-like.

When you select an engine for your trains, it brings up a beautiful roundhouse of the available locomotives. When a new locomotive appears, it puts it on a turntable and spins it round so you can see it from all angles, and personally I like spending sometimes minutes there admiring the engine when I'm playing single player.

Signals are back! Oh, yes! I personally love the new signalling system, even though it puts american electric signals everywhere, even in the early days of Railroading (1850!). I hear people complaining about it, but you just have to know how to use it properly.

The only things that are missing are proper bridging and tunnel graphics for double- and triple-track, and a scenario editor.

The lack of a scenario editor means we are stuck with only the inbuilt maps and objectives, which gets boring. I think I've played them all now already. The Multiplayer maps are good for Train Table Mode, however.

And bridges and tunnels. Some lazy git from Firaxis forgot to make special double-track tunnel and bridge graphics and as a result, it looks like a badly coded TTD sprite when you are double tracking a section.
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by graphics_master »

I purchesed a copy of this game and it is brill. I don't like the tunnel and bridge graphics. Still good 10/10.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

10 out of 10? :o Wow, I have to get it.. Wonder what it costs here in Sweden...
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Mr. Wednesday
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr. Wednesday »

It's pretty, and plays reasonably well. The signalling system will drive you nuts if you try to run double track, though.

There's a downloadable demo that seems to provide a good introduction to the gameplay. I've played that, but not the full version.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

The signalling system only drives you nuts if you don't know how it works, and how to work with the signalling system. I played many multiplayer games with the full version, and i assure you i created many networks with doubletrack mainlines, 4 track stations and the signalling worked fine with no jams to date on Hard/Medium Pathfinding Difficulty.

When you make a track, try to make it as far as you can, in 1 piece. When you make junctions, and a track already has a signal, start the junctionl on the square the signal is on, and if theres a signal on the other track, put the second end of the junction on it.

Also, instead of adding trains as cargo demand increases, just modify your train orders to take diffrent cargoes(do this once in a while, i.e when your upgrading your trains). The AI does this all the time, and it rakes massive profit even though it has less trains than you sometimes. Work with the supply & demand system to have as little trains as possible, and taking as little as possible empty train cars as possible with a train(preferrably, 0 empty cars).

This makes your network much less likely to jam if you fail at signalling, and when you master the signalling system it helps you even more to cram as many trains as you can on a network.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've played the demo, and I like.. Woah.. This was much worse than I thought.. I just don't get the grip of it
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads Game

Post by robo »

I like the demomap (although I have the full version), but my current hardware is pretty weak (geforce6200) and this is the smallest map available.
The game has a lot of well thought out features like deformable landscape/towns adapting automatically to your tracklaying, I believe this is the only way how to play on smaller maps which don't force you to plan or prebuild most things in advance. Trains don't get lost and you can have larger curves, which are pretty easy to build. The supply/demand system is better compared to other transport games.
What I don't like is that you can never zoom out enough without pausing the game. The editor is bad.
Attachments
demo.jpg
demo.jpg (129.94 KiB) Viewed 3706 times

Return to “Railroad Tycoon Series”