Replace Airport

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Replace Airport

Post by browneyedboy »

What if it was possible when upgrading from a small airport to a larger one, it would only be a button "upgrade to..." pressing that it would ask which airport I would upgrade to and also let me know if the city will allow me to do so.

If they let me, the buildings/roads that are in the way will be deleted and the airport will be built automatically.

If they wont let me, I'll just have to wait and work so that the city will like more so that I can upgrade.

Is this a possibility? Cause I've always hated the big process of upgrading airports - build the small airport with railroads or something around it so it's prepared to have upgrades in the future. I'd like to have it more simple.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

How does this tool work if you have connected a bustop or railwaystation at the (small) airport and you make the airport bigger? Are they also deleted because the new airport needs more space?
Keep life simple...
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

The upgrade would only be possible if there was no bus stops etc in the way. that's my idea for this. but sure, any more ideas how this would work would be nice :)
d37373
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d37373 »

I can see this working if the space for the larger airport is clear except for the small airport - a similar thing already happens when placing a new train station on top of an existing train station.

I can see a few problems with the automatic clearing of buildings and roads, though.
1) If there are lots of houses in the way, the town rating will sink as the houses are removed, and pretty soon they'll stop you from destroying any more. The same thing happens if you try and destroy a whole town in one sweep.
2) If there were only a few houses and roads, you could destroy them in one sweep and then place the new airport yourself. That's not much more effort than current, and even less if you can place the new airport on top of the smaller one.
3) Biggest problem: If you make an exception to 1) just for this feature, it'll become an excellent way of destroying a town quickly.
czerty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by czerty »

1.Mayby if you click on upgrade button next-level airport show semitransparent (or something similiar) and you manualy choice place of new airport.
2.To prevent big drop in city rating (new feture too - maby this can coutn for all destroyed buildings - for new AP, RR, BUS..etc) you can pay exta money for "people transfer" - you simply give peoples money to move to anoher house (in same town - no more drop in totall city population)due to demolishing old for yours new buildings.
3.this icon/feature will be very useful on very heavily conquested routes - no more diverting planes on another AP due to upgrading of AP (bue to non existing building/demolising while on pause).
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

I've always thought this sort of thing would be good. I think to make it work in practice would first be to gradually purchase the land around it that will be needed, then click the upgrade button, specify the new type, then tell it which squares to use, then it would do it.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

RainierWatcher wrote:I've always thought this sort of thing would be good. I think to make it work in practice would first be to gradually purchase the land around it that will be needed, then click the upgrade button, specify the new type, then tell it which squares to use, then it would do it.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. You do the demolishing and buying, then the update just places it in the purchased area... or something like that!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Rather than having an upgrade button, why not make it so you can simply build an airport over the top of an existing one (and you still have to clear anything else that's in the way manually)?
Dreamcatcher
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dreamcatcher »

PikkaBird wrote:Rather than having an upgrade button, why not make it so you can simply build an airport over the top of an existing one (and you still have to clear anything else that's in the way manually)?
That seems like a better idea :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

No problem, as long as there are no aircraft on the airport. But then if you've cleared it of all aircraft, then there is nothing stopping you clicking delete and then building.

If there are aircraft on the airport, then replacing is impossible as there is no correspondence between the locations and states of aircraft at one airport and another.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

richk67 wrote:...then there is nothing stopping you clicking delete and then building.
...except for the town immediately building three roads and the foundations of a church where your airport was a moment ago.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

buildwhilepaused on.

Oh. Except that that's a cheat. Scratch that. Clear the surrounding area, demolish the airport, hit F1, select the new airport, hit F1, build.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

DaleStan wrote:buildwhilepaused on.

Oh. Except that that's a cheat. Scratch that. Clear the surrounding area, demolish the airport, hit F1, select the new airport, hit F1, build.
I wouldn't care that it was a cheat, so much that it's unavailable in multiplayer games. OpenTTD uses different keys, so you could do (almost) exactly that, but towns can almost explode into any gap you create. I've had to demolish the same piece of road three times while building a railway station before now, because by the time I'd tapped the key to select build station and clicked my mouse, the town had rebuilt it.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Dreamcatcher
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dreamcatcher »

Brianetta wrote:
DaleStan wrote:buildwhilepaused on.

I wouldn't care that it was a cheat, so much that it's unavailable in multiplayer games. OpenTTD uses different keys, so you could do (almost) exactly that, but towns can almost explode into any gap you create. I've had to demolish the same piece of road three times while building a railway station before now, because by the time I'd tapped the key to select build station and clicked my mouse, the town had rebuilt it.
Which is extremly annoing... i sometimes revert to buying out the land and bribes (if i have the cash) to make sure they don't build where I want to go!!
Quark
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Quark »

richk67 wrote:If there are aircraft on the airport, then replacing is impossible as there is no correspondence between the locations and states of aircraft at one airport and another.
If there are aircraft on the airport, then send it to hangar, replace airport, and it will go out from new airport's hangar :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Quark wrote:
richk67 wrote:If there are aircraft on the airport, then replacing is impossible as there is no correspondence between the locations and states of aircraft at one airport and another.
If there are aircraft on the airport, then send it to hangar, replace airport, and it will go out from new airport's hangar :)
Except some airports have 2 hangars, and they arent in the same location. It can be done, but I bet there would be big problems.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Brianetta wrote:I wouldn't care that it was a cheat, so much that it's unavailable in multiplayer games. OpenTTD uses different keys, so you could do (almost) exactly that, but towns can almost explode into any gap you create. I've had to demolish the same piece of road three times while building a railway station before now, because by the time I'd tapped the key to select build station and clicked my mouse, the town had rebuilt it.
Good "trick" on this one is to use the keyboard shortcuts, and hover your mouse where you need to buy the land.

D - destroy tool
U - buy land tool

So the sequence is D - destroy the airport, U - immediately buy the road spawning location. Repeat as necessary. If you are quick, I think the road doesnt get built while the first explosion is still rising. So quickly go to Buy tool, and ensure the space stays clear.
Firework Photography
Haukinger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Haukinger »

What about including the destroy-tool in the buy-land-tool ? So that if you buy some town-owned land, it automatically gets destroyed and then instantly bought.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

My main reasons for wanting airport overbuilding is it should be *cheaper* to upgrade than to build a new airport.

The real-world Brisbane International, for example, still has a taxiway tucked away in one corner that used to be the runway when it was a "small airport"...
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

PikkaBird wrote:My main reasons for wanting airport overbuilding is it should be *cheaper* to upgrade than to build a new airport.

The real-world Brisbane International, for example, still has a taxiway tucked away in one corner that used to be the runway when it was a "small airport"...
As does London gatwick... in fact, pretty much every airport in the world (Except the new builds done in the last 20years or so)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”