Scenarios contest for 0.5.0 version

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Thanks

If anyone wants to be in the jury, post here.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
<Bert>
Engineer
Engineer

Post by <Bert> »

A small 256x256 ~50% water map. Self choosen german city names. Made with love ;) for OpenTTD!
Attachments
Jargon.png
(137.24 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Jargon.scn
(47.13 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Also known as VanilleBert... ask Google.
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

I like that one! Hübsch!

But I think larger cities should be used rarely in a scenario.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I made this scenario the other day. Its 512, 512, and I tried to create a combination of contrasting landscapes in 1 map. Its ment to be quite hard for route finding with a moutain rage dividing up the maps. The primary industries mostly sit a long way from the secondry industries, although some are closer to help the game get going. The closer they are the less they produce to incorage longer routes.

The Terrain types/ features are

A large flat area
A high mountaintous range across the center
A high Bootlle neck mountain pass
Tight coal valleys
Bottleneck cuttings
Flooded marsh/forest areas
Large Sea areas with islands
a Large inland lake
Large distances between most towns, although 1 cluster for beginner routes, and to make it harder as they swell into the bottle neck pass.
and then a few standalone mountains.

I havn't named it yet...so name it something better if the maps ok.
Attachments
New Scenario.PNG
(189.66 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
New Scenario.scn
(397.82 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Ben
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Thanks for your scenario.

Only two hours remaining. Please submit your scenarios and/or heightmaps before 12:00 noon GMT!

If you want to be in the jury, post here before 12:00 noonGMT too.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ok, the results are there... Well, that is, I judged the scenarios, and now the OTTD devs have to decide which ones to include. I did give an advice tho. For those scenarios who didn't make it; I'm sorry, it's nothing personal (damn I hate to be negative about someone's work), but they in general need more work.

In order of post time;
  • "Skadi Islands" by Purno: 7.6 --> Include
  • "Baki - Coco" by Purno: 6.8 --> Exclude
  • "Cornwall & Isles of Scilly" by davery83: 7.2 --> Include
  • "Las Islas Verdes" by Chrill and Saibot: 7.2 --> Include
  • "Wales and West England" by Born Acorn: 8.0 --> Include
  • "Terra Incognita" by fr_tycoon: 8.4 --> Include
  • "Honeypot Ridge" by doktorhonig: 6.4 --> Exlcude
  • "Jargon" by <bert>: 6.8 --> Exclude
  • "New Scenario" by Ben Robbins: 8.8 --> Include
If you have comments about the judgement, you're welcom to post them here.

EDIT: Marks are from 1 (überbad) to 10 (übergood).
Attachments
OTTD 0.5.0 Scenario Contest.xls
Scenario contest for OpenTTD 0.5.0 judgement sheet
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Image Image
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Hm, maybe there wasn't enough time, but I think, there should be more scenarios in the game (or at least in an extra-official scenario-package).

Not that I want to see mine included, I'd just say: There should have been 3x time (some weeks), 3x as much submissions, and 3x as much inclusions.

This also means 3x the work for you, Purno, so it's understandable, that you don't want to test 30 scenarios. :lol:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Let me explain that. Like a week ago Darkvater asked me to organize this thing. He also said it had to happen in 2 weeks, so that's why the hurry. I thought, 1 week for submitting, and 1 week for jurying (I assumed at least someone would be interested). That's the reason behind it.

EDIT: I wouldn't have minded judging 30 scenarios, btw.
Image Image
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Yeah, it would be bad if the 0.5.0 release would have to wait for the scenarios. Maybe it's also better, if the download-package stays small with only few scenarios.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, another thing is the OTTD devs (or at least Darkvater) was looking for mainly smallish scenarios. And those don't take too long to make.
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Now, more than two weeks later, have the OTTD devs finally made up their decision about which scenarios will be included?

TBH, I'm kinda annoyed this contest was in a hurry as I was told OTTD 0.5.0 would have been released two weeks ago. Next time, such a scenario contest needs more time, if you want to have good scenarios.
Image Image
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i vote for including some countries scenarios, like the England or Italy scenarios which are well done
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

I made an England/Wales scenario a while ago, but it was rather dencly packed. I've got the same scenario around without any roads also.

http://www.tt-forums.net//files/england ... 02_827.jpg

Posted it here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ht=#459607

I never got round to adding the Southern uplands of Scotland. Ideally I want to be able to transport things right up the the central lowlands where the real money is.

If anyone wishes to do anything to this and repost it in an improved form that would be cool.
Ben
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Sorry for the long long time this has taken, en the wasted month! that could've been better spent on scenarios, but things just turned out a bit differently than we hoped.

0.5 is out soon, and the scenarios are here. Thank you all for making scenarios and a big cheers for Purno for jurying :!:
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You're welcome. It was an honour to be asked. I'd love to do it next time too, but only with a little bit more time. :)
Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pity my map didn't make it :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “General OpenTTD”