Game crashes at specific date

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Game crashes at specific date

Post by 3iff »

Ottd 0.5.0-RC2 and RC3, W98SE

A new game played with RC2, once I reached 10 Mar 2061, the game spectacularly crashed, BSODs and a frozen machine. Upgrading to RC3 had no effect. Then I thought about changing the date...reverted to 2060 and the game happily played through 10th March...

At least that showed that it must be date related rather than a vehicle or industry problem. I've now reset the date to 2020 and played 10 years without problems.

I've tried registering with flyspray to post the offending game (before I had the idea of changing the date) but I can't seem to register...

I couldn't see anything on the forums relating to this...any views?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Does it happen with other savegames?
Either way, did you post the offending savegame, preferably within a month or so of the crash?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Just tried it with another game by advancing the date...no crash.

I can post the savegame here if required. It's set just 4 days before the event. Shall I drop it here?
gigajum
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gigajum »

If the game crashes in 4 days yes please.
Next time please upload it with your first post, so there is no need to ask you for a savegame first :)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Here it is...I would have posted it straight away but expected complaints if I didn't use flyspray bug logging...

Game is on 6 March 2061, and it 'should' crash on the 10th. I'm just going to try setting the date forwards to see if it's something about 2061 that isn't liked. (edit: I tried setting it to 2062 and it still crashed on 10th March.)

There's a crashlog from when I first encountered the problem with RC2.
Attachments
ottdcrash.zip
(955.39 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Please also attach your crash.dmp file that should be in the same directory as the crashlog.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Whoops, sorry...meant to include it. Renamed as it won't allow .dmp files!
Attachments
crash.dmp.txt
(23.3 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Your savegame did not crash for me in RC3. (I did have to disable some grf files because I don't have them, but I don't think that would've caused it as the crashlog says the crash was in YAPF).

Can you post all your grf files perhaps and I'll test it in RC2 as well.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

grfs enclosed...2 parts - sorry it's so large!

I hate it when my crashes don't happen for others. Also very strange that it didn't crash for me when I reset the date...

Good luck.
Attachments
data1.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
data.zip
(3.67 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Hi,

We have found your problem. It as an FPU 0/0 error to which Win9x or your CPU reacts differently than XP and totally panicks.

It'll be fixed for RC4.

Thank you for your report.
dbg: [YAPF][YAPFt]! 95- 5051 us - 3 rounds - 0 open - 2 closed - CHR -1.$% - c-1(sc-1, ts0, o0) --
Right there -1.$% your division by zero :)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Thanks for that. Glad I wasn't imagining things. My works machine seems to react differently (less freaking out).

Thanks for your work on this.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Darkvater,

Just to confirm that RC4 has cured this problem. Many thanks.

Return to “General OpenTTD”