Zimmlocks creations develoment thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Also, combining other building sets with TTRSv3 can occasionally result in crashes during game generation anyway, Haven't rounded down the exact cause, but regardless, combining other building sets with something as big as TTRSv3 isn't the most brilliant idea. If you can pull it off, more power to ya, but if it cacks, I don't think its something to start screaming about.

Unless that's screaming for more building slots *grin*.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Thanks for all comments :D

ttrs contains approxematly 150 up to 160 buildings, i didnt count the buildings that have more than one view, the airports, but i did count the banks and the easter egg, so you have a little less then 100 slots left :wink:
I had the idea to add a few more to fill some gaps but i guess its better not to do that.
As a artist i have run into the bounderys of the game as well, had made nice snow roads for the paved town streets, the road construction and stations to, unfortunatly we cant use them because ttd doesnt have them originaly :cry:
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Oh, so many things to reply in one night...
Darkvater wrote:These different graphics, although inlikely since they're at the moment just Action 0x0A I suppose can wreak havoc on a multiplayer game, causing (possible) desyncs.
How would something like this affect the simulation engine? No offence meant, but OTTD is seriously flawed if the looks of roads and bridges make any difference in the simulation.
What would cause problems is skipping house or industry definitions depending on the year, but I'm not doing anything like that. If both sides use the same first two parameters for the GRF, I think it should be fine in multiplayer.
Darkvater wrote:Would it be possible to have a grf parameter not to update the roads on load?
But you have to update them. The savegame doesn't have a field for "how TTRS3 roads looked like last time". Whenever the activation of the set happens, it has to decide what roads to use, and it doesn't have information about the previous decision. If you're that worried about it, you can disable the roads altogether.
Patchman wrote:There are only 255 slots for newhouses, including the old TTD houses.
Actually, old houses don't count towards the limit; you have 255 slots for new types only. TTRS3 uses 162 slots, leaving 93 slots for anything else. TTRS2 used 60 slots, so if you're switching from TTRS2, you have only 33 slots left. I guess I'll have to write a sign cheat that cleans up slots used by currently inactive GRFs...

@Aegir: It would be helpful to reproduce that crash. TTDPatch shouldn't crash because of things like this.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Csaboka wrote:@Aegir: It would be helpful to reproduce that crash. TTDPatch shouldn't crash because of things like this.
I'm not 100% certain, but if I remember correctly it was the issue with setting buildings that can be constructed between 1921 and 1930, if there wasn't enough for every zone when it would go to generate a map, it would crash.

Now that doesn't quite make sense to me in the situation it was crashing (NABS and Japanset buildings are 1930 onwards and in every zone), since TTRSv3 should still have houses for the requested areas, but changing the start year to 1930/1931 fixed it, and disabling other .grf sets fixed it aswell.

Unfortunatly, my installation of TTDPatch under Wine for some reason will not create crash reports, nor do I have a development/debugging environment installed to work through the problem with you online.

Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Let me clarify this. The buildings for the 20-50 era actually have their introduction years set to 1930. When TTDPatch detects that the current year is before 1930 and there are no buildings available, it pretends it's 1930 already. That's why you can see the 20-50 era buildings from 1921. This whole thing breaks, however, if there is at least one building whose introduction date is before 1930. If TTDPatch detects that there is at least one building available, it assumes that towns can be generated successfully and doesn't change introcuction dates. There must be some other GRF in your list that has an introduction year before 1930, but doesn't supply a building for all possible zones. Actually, this should cause a hang instead of a crash, so maybe it's something entirely different...
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Hmmm, okay, I suppose I might have a rogue house then, I was pretty sure I set them all for 1930 onwards, just as you said you have done for TTRSv3. I'll add that to my list of things to check :).

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Csaboka wrote:How would something like this affect the simulation engine? No offence meant, but OTTD is seriously flawed if the looks of roads and bridges make any difference in the simulation.
Ah, sorry for spreading fud. I wasn't entirely up-to-date and heard something that I should've heard more carefully :). Only changes in looks to vehicles can cause desyncs (pretending everything else about a vehicle is the same) if the vehicle has different sprite dimensions. These sprite dimensions are used for the vehicle hash, collision detection, etc. But you are right, simple bridges/roads, etc. will work.
Csaboka wrote:But you have to update them. The savegame doesn't have a field for "how TTRS3 roads looked like last time". Whenever the activation of the set happens, it has to decide what roads to use, and it doesn't have information about the previous decision. If you're that worried about it, you can disable the roads altogether.
I see. roads need a date of build to fix this, but that was probably what the readme talked about as 'limitations'. Thank you for your answers Csaboka :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

I just saw this nice feature of TTRSv3.01 (or is it a bug)

The building is build on top of the railroad, it can't be build along side of it since there is a road, unless the new feature is about building on top of the townroads that is. :P
Attachments
SCR2.png
SCR2.png (82.3 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

AFAICT:
Attachments
ttrsnobug.PNG
ttrsnobug.PNG (58.14 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Indeed it is, my mistake. :?
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Purno has "hit the nail on the head" that is the same building, It is just an illusion that it is on top of the railway lines.
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Whew. I feared that there is yet another wrong-offset bug with one of the construction stages, just after releasing a hotfix version... I've tested every construction stage after coding the buildings, but there were times when offsets still changed somehow and buildings ended up where they shouldn't have been. It would have been really embarassing to find one of those just one day after the bugfix version came out...
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Csaboka wrote:Whew. I feared that there is yet another wrong-offset bug with one of the construction stages, just after releasing a hotfix version... I've tested every construction stage after coding the buildings, but there were times when offsets still changed somehow and buildings ended up where they shouldn't have been. It would have been really embarassing to find one of those just one day after the bugfix version came out...
I'll do my best to find a real one for you. :wink:
Still the best OS around
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

I have a suggestion.

Right now I am playing a game with TTRS3 and SAC's new trees, and as far I am cencerned, SAC's trees are not only the best ones I have ever seen, but also perfect, and the original trees in TTRS3 look very poor compared to them. Would it be possible to add a parameter value that would switch between original and SAC's trees in TTRS3, or using the SAC trees as default ones for TTRS?
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

I don't understand. TTRS3 is a building set, it has nothing to do with trees. You can use any GRF to replace trees, it shouldn't interfere with TTRS...

[edit] Oh, I think I misunderstood you. You want to bundle SAC's trees with TTRS3. I don't really like the idea, but Zimmlock has the last word, of course. I mean, why bundle the two together, and add a parameter to disable SAC's trees, when you can just use the two independently, and it's even easier that way.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What about the trees on buildings and on the roads? (Or are the trees on roads seperate sprites?)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

I believe Colonel32 is referring to the trees that are attached to the buildings, or so I guess anyways! :P

If so, these would need to be replaced in such case! I've done that with buildings I've improved in my own game, both from other "sets" and from original buildings, but not TTRS3 as I don't use it at the moment.

As for roads, these must be separate sprites, but I believe TTRS3 doesn't add custom trees for those. I haven't checked though! :P
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Ttrs uses the original ttd trees on roads, so if sac's set has a replacment for the road trees they ll be used if you have sac's set enabled.
Some trees around buildings cant be replaced because they are part of the building sprite. If you want sac's trees there to, i have to replace all trees surounding buildings manualy and update the grf.

@purno: 8) :lol:
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If you do replace them (which IMO is a good idea indeed), please make it optional, perhaps via a grf parameter, I'd say.
Image Image
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Purno wrote:If you do replace them (which IMO is a good idea indeed), please make it optional, perhaps via a grf parameter, I'd say.
I think thats not possible, the trees are drawn like they are a building, i have just added them to a few buildings to have more trees in town. Its, you have the trees like they are now, or you have the sac trees.
So if you dont use sac's grf you ll have different kind of trees at some buildings.
Ttrs ll be adapted to fit in the other climats except toyland aswell so i do not know if its a good idea to replace all trees with sac trees. Her trees are fantastic, thats out of the question.
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi

Return to “Graphics Development”