[ART] Terrain types

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

[ART] Terrain types

Post by Purno »

Temporary textures for now, as requested.

Includes several grass, sand, rock and water textures. I couldn't figure out how 'coastal' looked like, so you just gotta use one of the other textures (there's plenty of them IMO).

Oh, and there's grid textures too, in case you need them.

(the zip file is the one you need, the PNG file is just as preview of one of the terrains)
Attachments
grass_4.PNG
grass_4.PNG (2.18 KiB) Viewed 25605 times
terrain.zip
(66.66 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Thanks Purno!

This would be a good opportunity to advertise for textures we might want to use in the game proper.

General Guidelines
1. Graphics are to be of high quality (24/32bpp)
2. Graphics need to be of size 128x128 or 256x256.
3. The graphics should be seamless (that is, you can patch them together one after the other and you can't see the grid)
4. You must submit your own designs, or clearly state the license under which the graphics were released (including the original URL + author name if possible). Misrepresenting other peoples works is against the law and we do not want to be responsible for any copyright infringement.
5. By submitting your own designs, you accept that they may be used in the games under the TE license which currently does not exist. As a rule of thumb, TE will be not for profit and we will protect your graphics from unauthorised useage. Please be specific in your intent on releasing your graphics if you have reservations or conditions.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Using Lightfeather, and their Paging Landscape abilities I have create a graphics mockup using Purno's graphics.

Note: The not-so-stunning results are my fault. I haven't quite figured out a good blending formula yet. This one just finds a large gradient and turns the grass into rock.
Attachments
Lightfeather Test
Lightfeather Test
Screen_1.png (395.75 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Cool ! :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Dave

Post by Dave »

I dunno - that looks quite nice!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

This time I'm using a different combo of tiles, with blending that is supposed to replicate a very basic shadowing effect.
Attachments
Example 2
Example 2
Screen_2.png (380.34 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That looks very nice already, where's the train :P?
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Where's the train indeed!

It would be nice to have things like tracks and trains to have a look at what they might look like...

This image is looking at a nearby peak (elevation ~3000ft), with proper 32m grid spacing, 1km above the ground. Average gradient 16%. Its some idea about the scale of the game. I'm not sure if its realistic or not...
Attachments
Screen_3.png
Screen_3.png (309.43 KiB) Viewed 6278 times
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

That looks quite nice, albeit a bit empty, but that's to be expected :P
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Someone should draw a tree and see how that looks. And what about water, is there any chance you can make a screenshot with water in it?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I've drawn two 256x256 images one with a tree and one with water. The intention was to draw something fast that can be used untill someone draws something better.

I think the water image might not bee correct according to the rule that says that you should not be able to see the grid-lines. I don't know if there are any good tools for that in GIMP. But as my images will be replaced later becuse they don't meet up to the quallity requirments it doesn't really matter.

I don't know if a 2D-tree can be used, but since it's just a fast drawing it doesn't really matter if it can be used or not.

EDIT: I here by give anyone the rights to use or modify the attached images with or without giving me credits for the orginal images.
Attachments
fast_water.png
fast_water.png (49.13 KiB) Viewed 25460 times
fast_tree.png
fast_tree.png (37.41 KiB) Viewed 25458 times
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Above a mountain, looking towards the coast. (The forest has being planted, and needs time to grow :wink: )
Attachments
Example + Water
Example + Water
Screen_4.png (377.17 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Whoo! Nice! :D
Keep them coming! :D
Image Image
Need_Help
Engineer
Engineer

Hi, this is my first post in this forum

Post by Need_Help »

First of all, please accept my apologise if my 'texture' is ugly because I'm not a professional, just have some experience and knowledge with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and 3DS Max8.

Thanks and please give some comments :)
Attachments
The terrain is made with 3DS Max8, and used my 'texture'. Its a little bit brighter than the original one because of the lighting effect.
The terrain is made with 3DS Max8, and used my 'texture'. Its a little bit brighter than the original one because of the lighting effect.
grass_render.jpg (137.12 KiB) Viewed 25406 times
This is the texture with size of 256x256. Its considered as 'seamless texture'
This is the texture with size of 256x256. Its considered as 'seamless texture'
grass.png (160.93 KiB) Viewed 25399 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

It's quite cool, but the color is kinda bright IMO.
Image Image
Need_Help
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Need_Help »

Is this better? I don't know because I make my screen darker so its more 'eye friendly' :P

Attachments
Darker texture
Darker texture
grass.png (148.59 KiB) Viewed 25378 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Better, but it's still kinda green (even blue-ish green). Now, tho such a grass probably exists somewhere, I think making it more brownish or yellowish might look more realistic. Tho, don't throw away these old textures.
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

is this grass?

btw, wtf is a ".1" or a ".2" file?
Attachments
TEST 2.PNG
TEST 2.PNG (7.57 KiB) Viewed 25290 times
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Need_Help
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Need_Help »

How is this one?
Attachments
grass.png
grass.png (155.52 KiB) Viewed 25292 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

M4rek wrote:is this grass?
It is, a bit unplain, but that might be cool to have too.
btw, wtf is a ".1" or a ".2" file?
Dunno, where did you get it from?

Need_Help wrote:How is this one?
Looks cool. Looks a bit dirty/muddy.
Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Development”