[DD] Announcement of focussed Design Document discussions

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[DD] Announcement of focussed Design Document discussions

Post by Hyronymus »

I have had a very fruitful conversation with eis_os about the progress and communication of Transport Empire. One of the problems eis_os sees is a lack of clearly defined goals. What people might have noticed too is that topics deviate from the original topic too easily. Among other suggestions eis_os suggested to discuss sections of the Design Document in a clearly defined manner.

In the coming days you will find topics starting with [DD] that require a clear, focussed discussing. These topics present a section of the current Design Document followed by a question on how to solve the problem concerning that Design Document section. In some topics multiple questions must be answered but they will be tacked consecutively (if possible).
As I can't stress it enough: the focus is on answering the question(s) asked.

To not fall victim of the old way of discussing things there will be a strict moderation policy. The slightest off-topic replies will be split off without any mercy (perhaps we can make a funny story out of it someday).
Dave

Post by Dave »

May I suggest that all other topics are locked until such time as the fundamental basics are in place?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Yes, I am planning on locking those indeed. This however might result in starting some discussion over again. Locked topics can still be accessed though.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hyronymus wrote:Yes, I am planning on locking those indeed. This however might result in starting some discussion over again. Locked topics can still be accessed though.
Beat them down with the mod stick :).

I say only you and selected others can create topics, and they MUST follow a pattern that will establish a full DD.

Just my opinion.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I hope all topics allow such a uniform approach but I'm afraid we have to bend the "style" occasionally. If people stay far from off-topic replies I'm a happy Hyronymus already.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Once upon a time there existed a group of people. They went under the mysterious name of the "Design Document Committee". No one really knows what they did exactly, but archeological evidence suggests one of their rituals was getting together in a group, making noise and dancing around an open fire.

Scientists are still wondering what happened to this group. One theory involves a catastrophic event occuring during the European summer which some people have labelled "gettinajoborlife".

In all seriousness...why did we get rid of the committee only to now need what it was designed for? That is, to rapidly discuss what needs to be done by people who are less likely to derail a topic. I'm not suggesting we start it back up either, because the last time we did it, no one decided to contribute. So what was the point?

Regardless, congrats on making positive steps forward!!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

The committee was only a very small amount of people. But moreover they had their own subsection on the forum in which they replicated already existing topics. The writer of the fairy-tale made a mistake there.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

One different point as you showed, the DD committee was only some people... They worked behind closed doors and the concept didn't really worked as there are still a whole lot of open questions in the basis. The result is still a unfinished DD. A reason I proposed a change of the general mangement of the decision topics is that the topics didn't gain real answers to the remaining DD questions. Ohh and if this way doesn't really work, well TE can try a different approach. :)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

As the topics are already leaning towards a neverending story I'm forcing a decision. There is one thing I would like to make clear though.

If a suggestion doesn't make it to the Design Document that means that the suggested feature will not be the first stable release of Transport Empire. It's very well possible that it makes it to an update of Transport Empire.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

I wont tell you how happy I am to hear you say this!

The DD when finished should be reviewed, and then when > 50% of people agree on it (at a meeting) then we agree on that being the DD to use.

If we later decide to change something then we need to put in place a proper system to make it so. For example, forum post, discussion, vote at meeting, etc.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”