[RFD] Constructing roads

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

UnderBuilder wrote:Where I live the speed limits are:

- Dirt roads: 20-30km/h (12.5/19mph) (here the dirt roads are almost all in terrible conditions)
- Concrete/asphalt roads and dirt roads in good conditions: 40km/h (25mph)
- Dual carriageways: 60kmh (37.5mph) or 80 km/h (50mph)
- Motorways: 100km/h (62.5kmh), 110km/h (69km/h) or 130 km/h (81mph)

Some of these speed limits are ridiculous (mainly the concrete/asphalt roads) but the dual carriageways and motorways ones looks fine. And the speed limits that TomausRP proposed looks too high. Well, I go for the mines.
Less than 100km/h for dual carriageways and 120km/h for motorways is uncommon in europe (only great britain, norway on motorways and sweden on motorways are below this).

Most of european countries have 130km/h on motorways, Italy up to 150km/h and Austria now up to 160km/h.

In the orient speed limits on motorways are between 120 and 160km/h (Iraq has had a minimum speed od 120km/h on the left lane on motorways...)

India has no speed limit

China has 120 - 130km/h

Thailand has 120- 130km/h

USA most states have 75mph = 120km/h, Texas 80mph...

And no country of the more than 40 countries I have visited and where I used a car had a speed limit under 80km/h on concrete and asphalt roads outside city limits...

@maquinista

I was in spain this summer - the 120km/h limit seems widely ignored.... :) :)

@aarona
I am sure - also railways in reality uses this to upgrade capacity of lines.
And why do you think we have lower speed limits in the rush-hour or at highly frequented motorways in so many agglomerations worldwide????

It is a fact that if all vehicles drive the same speed the capacity of a line/road is used at the best. And I am sure: That applies also to games.

And if to manage the capacity of a line is micromanagement - is it micromanagement to double-track a line????? Or to upgrade a junction???

By the way: If I answer to different postings and would like to quote these postings then this is not possible in only ONE posting.

A double-post doesn't mean two different postings which follow each other, it means the same content (or the same posting) postet several times without reason.
If something else would be meant this reference would be senseless: "We realise that these are often accidental.".

Users have here also threads where they offer their newest add-ons for Loco and TTD, there often many posts of the same user follow each other (e.g. here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=518191#518191)- all double posts? I don't think so...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Double posts are consecutive posts by one person within a very short timespan. We are lenient with it but please don't defy the rules too much. In the end us moderators may have a different "feeling" about it.
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

Hyronymus wrote:Double posts are consecutive posts by one person within a very short timespan. We are lenient with it but please don't defy the rules too much. In the end us moderators may have a different "feeling" about it.
So if I post add-ons for download and pictures of these add-ons in two ore more consecutive posts then I am in danger to get a warning??????????????? :(
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I started with saying we are lenient with it, as you surely must've experienced in the Locomotion section. If your "doublepost" really adds something important to the topic we will not give you a warning naturally. But double posts like "Hi, I really like TE" followed by "Keep up the good work" come extremely close to an official warning.
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

Hyronymus wrote:I started with saying we are lenient with it, as you surely must've experienced in the Locomotion section. If your "doublepost" really adds something important to the topic we will not give you a warning naturally. But double posts like "Hi, I really like TE" followed by "Keep up the good work" come extremely close to an official warning.
Yeah - that is spam! That's clear.
But this was not what I've done here!
I am moderator too in a really large forum about politics - I know very well what things one should leave.....
It was thus no reason for aarona to teach me only because he did not like my opinion... :x
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

OT ALERT

we are getting off topic here

unfortunately im also off topic by telling you that you are because i dont have anything to say that is on topic
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Dave

Post by Dave »

STOP DERAILING MY BRAINCHILD!

Anyway - tonight's meeting was counter-productive in terms of roads. I think we've established that these ideas will take a back seat for a little while.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

have we at least reached a conclusion that we will not have insta-build ?
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

M4rek, as I said before: the DD contained non-instant build before last night's meeting. During this meeting no enough objections were made to change this.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

ok, thanx... my memory sux
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

TomausRP wrote:It was thus no reason for aarona to teach me only because he did not like my opinion... :x
How do you know I don't like your opinion? I was actually in favour of what you are now proposing at one time!

Okay, so here is a summary of the discussion that has taken place...

Code: Select all

- If you lay roads within the jurisdiction if a city, does the city immediatly become the owner?
*- Are we going to add traffic for visual effect?
- Dave Worley's Proposal:
	1. You plan the road how you want it to go.
	2. You submit the plan to the town council(s). 
*- Toll Booths
- Motorway Junctions
- Number of lanes
- Selection of construction
- Urban, Suburban, Country roads
*- Pedestrians
*- Speed limits
Those items marked with a * are to do with ROADS and not CONSTRUCTION OF ROADS, which is what this topic is. For those who wish to continue discussion on ROADS only, please create a new topic!

Okay...
GUI
We have a menu to construct roads.
We can select which type of road to build.
We can build bridges, tunnels, level crossings.
We can build intersections with other roads. These intersections can be elaborate if any of the roads in questions are motorways.

ISSUES
When we build roads, the design will be submitted to the town council.
- Is this a visible or invisible process?
- If the council declines, does it provide an alternative or just provide an explanation?
- How long does this process take? (If invisible, then instantaneous?)
- What are the factors which the council takes into account in deciding if an application is sucessful?

Do roads built in towns belong to the town, or the player who built them?

Anything else to do with construction of roads?
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

my views on the issues presented:

- Is this a visible or invisible process?
visible, a winsow pops up showing the council votes (while still voting) using a dynamic barchart (showing 3 bars: accept(yes), deny(no), not voted(yet).)

- If the council declines, does it provide an alternative or just provide an explanation?

it provides an explanation and an alternative if there is one, the player can use this alternative as a basis for a new plan or just use it as the plan.

- How long does this process take? (If invisible, then instantaneous?)

10-40 seconds, depending on the conditions... (ask me to elaborate if you dont get it)

- What are the factors which the council takes into account in deciding if an application is sucessful?

enviromental impact- noise, wildlife, forest areas... historic sites, the city's gain from the plan...

these are my views, what do the rest of you think?

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”