Ideas about map and track laying

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Shrimp
Engineer
Engineer

On the subject of stations and switches

Post by Shrimp »

For stations and switches, someone on the OpenTTD forum (IIRC) wanted to have "presets". This idea is a very good one regardless of the track placement system we use.

A preset is simply a group of tracks (and appropriate buildings like stations, depots, lights) saved to a file. So lets say I made this super-efficient RoRo station and I want to reuse it, I simply load the preset and place it on the map where I want (rotate to suit). Then I connect the "in" and "out" tracks. Tada! Brand new station in a few clicks. Same apply for an intersection or things like that.

This would easily solve the problem Arathorn mentionned.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This still appeals to me. What's meant is having templates for most used crossing types (with or without signals). These crossing should be easy to select from the track menu. If that's possible it would offer a very nice feature to TE.
Last edited by Hyronymus on 14 Nov 2006 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Good idea. I second that.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i agree.

im guessing that you would drag a box over the bulk of track parts you want to save and individually add others (or using smaller boxes) and then manually save them to file?
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That is a possibility but I also think TE should come with pre-set junctions/switches.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

that too, but if you dont like them make your own...
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Hyronymus wrote:That is a possibility but I also think TE should come with pre-set junctions/switches.
Let the user be creative, that's what games are for! So no pre-set junctions.

And maybe we could move track laying to a meeting, as this could become a big discussion where many people have a different vision.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, you could have a feature where the user can save his junctions for later use. Kinda like RCT's rollercoasters.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

XeryusTC wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:That is a possibility but I also think TE should come with pre-set junctions/switches.
Let the user be creative, that's what games are for! So no pre-set junctions.

And maybe we could move track laying to a meeting, as this could become a big discussion where many people have a different vision.
I dont now if this is possible - but I would like to have the possibility to create my own pre-set junctions or pre-set stations.

I play TT and Loco - and there are a few typs of stations and junctions which I use very often....

EDIT: Sorry, now I see that Purno has posted the same idea: "Well, you could have a feature where the user can save his junctions for later use. Kinda like RCT's rollercoasters."

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”