[RFD] Constructing roads

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Dave

Post by Dave »

Well, unless it's the end of the motorway, motorways in Britain never connect with another road except by means of a junction - the likes of which we see in several pictures... And also see below. There are NO level crossings on motorways - nor dual carriageways (I don't think).

Thus - motorways are not interconnectable. This means we may need to specify "slip roads". I don't know what it is in other languages.

I'll describe below.

Excuse the bad drawings.
Attachments
singlecar.PNG
singlecar.PNG (6.16 KiB) Viewed 21401 times
dualcar.PNG
dualcar.PNG (5.98 KiB) Viewed 21393 times
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Dave Worley wrote:Thus - motorways are not interconnectable. This means we may need to specify "slip roads". I don't know what it is in other languages.
Yeah, but motorways are interconnectable ( = connectable to each other, I assmume) via the usual big crossings (whatever they're called).
Attachments
motorwaycrossing.PNG
motorwaycrossing.PNG (15.79 KiB) Viewed 21391 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes I was going there next :P

They're called interchanges and flyovers.

There are several designs of these tho, depending on the purpose the junction has.

Thus, I think it wise that we give people the option to build freely but select "slip road" as a buildable option.

Flickr

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Is a slip road a oneway road connecting one side of motorway A with one side on motorway B? Like the circles in the cloverloaf?
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

all the pink lines in the drawings are sliproads
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sliproads also connect motorways with their junctions - which are usually above or below. Never on the same level though.

Flickr

m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

XeryusTC wrote:Is a slip road a oneway road connecting one side of motorway A with one side on motorway B? Like the circles in the cloverloaf?
yes
Attachments
grrrrrrrrrrr.PNG
(23.1 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

SimCity 4 calls them on-ramps, if that helps. But I think we can conclude that everyone agrees that motorways need a sophisticated way of crossing each other.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hyronymus wrote:SimCity 4 calls them on-ramps, if that helps. But I think we can conclude that everyone agrees that motorways need a sophisticated way of crossing each other.
That is the American term, yes.

Flickr

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Dave Worley wrote:Thus, I think it wise that we give people the option to build freely but select "slip road" as a buildable option.
I'm not sure about that. I think I'd prefer the SimCity 3000* way, where a slip road is 1 piece of 1 pre-defined size (dependable on the type of crossing tho) which can be built.

Either that or have pre-designed flyovers and such.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

I would agree with making it SimCity-ish. Its a proven formula, simple to implement and does the job.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

It's simple for the player too. :wink:
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i never actually figured out how to do sliproads in SimCity...

oh wait, i did, but that was just before i got bored of the game and stopped playing
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Dave

Post by Dave »

aarona wrote:I would agree with making it SimCity-ish. Its a proven formula, simple to implement and does the job.
Could you get a couple of screenshots for me?

I think if we're agreed, we can start discussing other roads.

For example - motorways in Britain are three lanes wide - But what about dual carriageways that are two?

Flickr

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Dual carriageways are double-deck motorways, right? I suggest we start simple. Also, note that motorways are 2-lanes per tile according the DD. I think that's silly.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hyronymus wrote:Dual carriageways are double-deck motorways, right? I suggest we start simple. Also, note that motorways are 2-lanes per tile according the DD. I think that's silly.
No - a carriageway is one lane of traffic.

A dual carriageway is two lanes of traffic in either direction.

In Britain a motorway is three.

Since I assume a road will = one tile, then a motorway could be three tiles wide?

(One way up road on left tile, two way road on middle tile with special graphical seperation, one way down road on right tile)

Flickr

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Here is a picture from Sim City 4 (Rush Hour) which shows a "motorway", with a motorway junction and on and off ramps. (top right of the screen)

I'm glad the British have a sensible naming system. We have freeways which change from 2 lanes both-way, to 3, to 4 and 5 (with or without a dedicated bus lane). Some also have rail going down the middle between the two directions.
Attachments
Sim City Screenshot from http://au.media.pc.ign.com/media/566/566222/img_1817619.html
Sim City Screenshot from http://au.media.pc.ign.com/media/566/566222/img_1817619.html
simcity4rushhour_092203_001.jpg (113.23 KiB) Viewed 21257 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

aarona wrote:Here is a picture from Sim City 4 (Rush Hour) which shows a "motorway", with a motorway junction and on and off ramps. (top right of the screen)

I'm glad the British have a sensible naming system. We have freeways which change from 2 lanes both-way, to 3, to 4 and 5 (with or without a dedicated bus lane). Some also have rail going down the middle between the two directions.
Well I say three lanes loosely.

In the middle of complicated junctions, there'll often be a fourth lane to give drivers two lanes each for each direction. Then for a while there'll be two lanes, then it'll grow to three again.

There are *some* discrepancies but generally British motorways are three lanes.

Incidentally, in Britain we have the usual way of numbering motorways - M1, M4, M5, M6, M25, M40, M62 and so on and so forth.

But there is also a secondary category for roads that were originally A-roads (that is to say "primary" routes) that have been given motorway status.

These are usually referred to with an M in brackets. So the Aston Expressway in Birmingham (which leads to Spaghetti Junction on the M6) is the A38(M).

It's a little more confusing than I've made out.

Motorways - generally 3 lanes, occasionally 4 in busy sections.
A-Roads with Motorway status - generally 2 lanes, with 3 in some areas.
A-Roads - "Trunk roads" are often dual carriageways and are the main routes where motorways don't apply. A lot of A-Roads are single carriageway (that is one lane in either direction), especially in urban areas. I personally live on the A491.
B-Roads - Are almost always single carriageway and are like minor routes. The B4173 diverges from the A491 a little way down the road and carries traffic to the main road at the bottom a little closer to Stourbridge than the A491 does.
Unclassified roads are usually streets - and occasionally small countryside roads. In the cities, they will generally be a normal single carriageway but in the countryside they may be single track - that is only one car's width. Then there are passing places for cars to stop and let others through and so on.

As I said - a little more confusing than I made out, but to be honest - and I'm sounding my own country's horn a little here - I think it's a top-notch classification system that far outstrips that of the Continental countries.

Flickr

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

We don't need 2*3 lane roads if there's no ordinary traffic at them.
Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

No, indeed, just 2 x 2 should do :).

Return to “Transport Empire Development”